Hoopgurlz 2018 Rankings Updated | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hoopgurlz 2018 Rankings Updated

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So with a couple future Huskies moving up, does TN still have the #1 class or has UConn edged them out?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So with a couple future Huskies moving up, does TN still have the #1 class or has UConn edged them out?
Only if you use a composite of the ranking services. If you use just ESPN then UCONN would be ranked higher than TN because KK is ranked in the 50's.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Only if you use a composite of the ranking services. If you use just ESPN then UConn would be ranked higher than TN because KK is ranked in the 50's.
Last I heard, TN was #1 & UConn was #2. I thought that ranking was based on Hoopgurlz, but with individual player rankings changed, it would stand to reason that team rankings would also change.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
2018 is definitely the year of the post players in the state of Texas. 2017 was the year of the point guard.

I do think Nalyssa Smith will end up selecting South Carolina; she has tweeted a lot about the Gamecocks since last Fall. Was surprised that Louisville and Ohio State made her top 4, but perhaps she wants to go out of state for college.

Queen Egbo is an interesting player; probably the most natural rebounder in the class. Whoever signs her instantly becomes a better rebounding team on both ends. I recall some of the schools who visited her at home last Fall included Baylor, Texas, Miss. State, UCLA and Florida, to name a few. Not sure why I feel this way, but I can see her ending up at MIss. State to play Coach Vic.

As for SG Zarielle Green, when I watched her play in the state championship game this past March, she reminded me of Sheryl Swoopes at that same age. Very lean and athletic body; long arms; extremely quick. Great anticipation on defense allows her to make some great steals. Very fluid player who has just about every shot, including plenty of confidence in her 3-point shot. Supposedly, she is friends with 2017 Texas A&M signee, Chennedy Carter, which explains why A&M is on her shortlist. With former Duncanville teammate, Ciera Johnson, announcing her transfer from Louisville to A&M, it seems like A&M is now in even better position for Zarielle.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
2018 is definitely the year of the post players in the state of Texas. 2017 was the year of the point guard.

I do think Nalyssa Smith will end up selecting South Carolina; she has tweeted a lot about the Gamecocks since last Fall. Was surprised that Louisville and Ohio State made her top 4, but perhaps she wants to go out of state for college.

Queen Egbo is an interesting player; probably the most natural rebounder in the class. Whoever signs her instantly becomes a better rebounding team on both ends. I recall some of the schools who visited her at home last Fall included Baylor, Texas, Miss. State, UCLA and Florida, to name a few. Not sure why I feel this way, but I can see her ending up at MIss. State to play Coach Vic.

As for SG Zarielle Green, when I watched her play in the state championship game this past March, she reminded me of Sheryl Swoopes at that same age. Very lean and athletic body; long arms; extremely quick. Great anticipation on defense allows her to make some great steals. Very fluid player who has just about every shot, including plenty of confidence in her 3-point shot. Supposedly, she is friends with 2017 Texas A&M signee, Chennedy Carter, which explains why A&M is on her shortlist. With former Duncanville teammate, Ciera Johnson, announcing her transfer from Louisville to A&M, it seems like A&M is now in even better position for Zarielle.

You feel that way because you don't want to see her at Baylor. :p

I think Smith and Egbo end up at Baylor as a package deal. That would sure make the Big 12 interesting for a few years. Not sure how a McCoy transfer to Baylor could affect their decision, though. I have that same feeling about McCoy and Kim has plenty of scholarships to let sis tag along.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Zarielle Green reminds me of Diamond Deshields. Very athletic, skilled, looks like a pro, struggles making shots.

Reaction Score
Breanna Beal in '19. The last Illinois recruit turned out pretty well. She seems to have a lot of the qualities of a UConn player - unselfish, motivated, team player. Plus it might just bring UConn to the Midwest for a game at some point. Every other year in Chicago is nice but we'd love to see more. I have long wished UConn to play in B1G as I am in driving distance of 4-5 Big 10 schools. Dreaming.

Reaction Score
Zarielle Green reminds me of Diamond Deshields. Very athletic, skilled, looks like a pro, struggles making shots.

I would say she reminds me of Jewel Loyd. Athletic, Highly Skilled ,competitive basketball player who can make big shots.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Breanna Beal in '19. The last Illinois recruit turned out pretty well. She seems to have a lot of the qualities of a UConn player - unselfish, motivated, team player. Plus it might just bring UConn to the Midwest for a game at some point. Every other year in Chicago is nice but we'd love to see more. I have long wished UConn to play in B1G as I am in driving distance of 4-5 Big 10 schools. Dreaming.

In 2019, there's a lot of highly rated talent in the Midwest at the guard positions. More than 1/3 of the most recent HG 25 are from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and/or Ohio.

- 6'0" Wing Breanna Beal of Illinois;
- 6'1" Guard Kierstan Bell of Ohio;
- 5'10" PG Anaya Peoples of Illinois;
- 6'1" G Jordon Horston of Ohio;
- 6'2" Wing Rickea Jackson of Michigan;
- 6'1" Wing Sammie Puisis of Ohio (a HS foe and AAU teammate of 2018 ND commit Abby Prohaska);
- 5'9" PG Rikki Harris of Indiana;
- 5'7" PG Zia Cooke of Ohio; and,
- 5'6" PG Shaila Beeler of Indiana.

Like you, I wouldn't mind if the Irish would switch conferences either, but it would also require a time travel...back to the old Big East. I'm based in northern NJ and used to be able to see the Irish visit three teams that were within an hour's drive (Seton Hall, Rutgers, St. John's); another -- Villanova -- that I could get to in 90 minutes on a good day; and, yes even trips to the "heartland" of Connecticut to see the Huskies. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you guys land Williams in addition to Collier, 2018-19 might beat out 2000-01 and 2015-16 as the most talented UConn roster ever:

Projected 2018-19 rotation:
C-Stevens/C. Collier
KLS/Camara
N. Collier
G/ Walker/Williams/Coombs
G-Dangerfield

That lineup has:
-3 number one overall recruits
-a #2 recruit
-a #3 recruit
-Two other (likely) All Americans in the lineup in Stevens and N. Collier.
I have to quibble a little. For sheer talent I would put 2013-14 roster well ahead of 15-16 and at least equal to 2000-01 UCONN rosters because '13-'14 had:
  • All five starters ( Hartley, Jefferson, KML, Dolson, Stewie) was or would become Multiple time All-American.
  • The bench included 4 quality players ( Chong, Banks, Stokes, & Tuck-who was injured and missed most of the year)
BTW the 08-09 roster was pretty deep also and if a certain UCONN recruit had not transferred it would have made both of our points irrelevant.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If you guys land Williams in addition to Collier, 2018-19 might beat out 2000-01 and 2015-16 as the most talented UConn roster ever:

C-Stevens/C. Collier
KLS/Camara
N. Collier
G-Dangerfield

That lineup has:
-a #2 recruit
-a #3 recruit
Sounds good to me. :D

Reaction Score

C-Stevens/C. Collier
KLS/Camara
N. Collier
G-Dangerfield

That lineup has:
-a #2 recruit
-a #3 recruit

That would be unreal.

Reaction Score
NOTRE DAME is well represented among the committed athletes, their recruiting draw continues.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
NOTRE DAME is well represented among the committed athletes, their recruiting draw continues.

Yep (because I was already going to post this and then saw your post), ND's commits are ranked as follows.

Jenna Brown (PG) - #11
Katlyn Gilbert (G) - #24
Danielle Cosgrove (F) - #52
Abby Prohaska (G) - NR

Looking good so far and aiming to grab one or two more...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

C-Stevens/C. Collier
KLS/Camara
N. Collier
G-Dangerfield

That lineup has:
-a #2 recruit
-a #3 recruit

In that event, would BYers still protest that UConn doesn't get all the top talent? ;)

(Personally, I would say "yeah, and what of it?" if I were a UConn fan in that scenario - but that's how I'm wired as a Chelsea fan, lol).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In that event, would BYers still protest that UConn doesn't get all the top talent? ;)

(Personally, I would say "yeah, and what of it?" if I were a UConn fan in that scenario - but that's how I'm wired as a Chelsea fan, lol).
Of course not. UConn just gets a lot of really nice kids, that also happen to be among the very best WBB players in their class. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Of course not. UConn just gets a lot of really nice kids, that also happen to be among the very best WBB players in their class. :rolleyes:
With the projected recruiting classes from other schools ( including top 5 ) it appears when all said and done;);), Uconn will still be the number one choice to win the championship for years to come.
To me that's all that matters:D:D.

PS. Great info on future recruits:)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen Andrea Aquino play lately? She is 6'9" and headed to corvallis next year to team up with Slocum but I didn't think she was that good. She went from being unranked to top 10 in less than a year and ahead of 6'7 Sedona Prince who has been on the scene for a while now. Did Scott Rueck just land his best recruit yet?

Based on the way projects like Ruth Hamblin and Marie Gulich developed, I'm excited to see how Aquino will do in Corvallis. I believe they have a 6-8 juco transfer that will be joining the team next year, so in '18-'19 they could have a twin towers.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Is it my imagination, or did Andrea Espinosa-Hunter make a big move up the rankings for 2017?

Not your imagination. She went from 40 something I believe (maybe 30) to number 16 in the new 2017 rankings.

We must keep in mind that AEH was big for the u16 team a few years back. She may have been top scorer for team USA. I think she led in minutes as well and then a coaching and team change for u17 left her off. Word was they wanted all new blood but that didn't work out so well as they didn't win gold. Bottom line; she will be a great player.

Reaction Score
Based on the way projects like Ruth Hamblin and Marie Gulich developed, I'm excited to see how Aquino will do in Corvallis. I believe they have a 6-8 juco transfer that will be joining the team next year, so in '18-'19 they could have a twin towers.
UhOh, remember what happened to the original twin towers.:eek:

Reaction Score

Talking about twin towers....Anyone remember Heather and Heidi Burge. I remember watching them play one game on TV(probably the first women game I ever watched) and saying to myself wow women's basketball is terrible/sucks. Keep in mind I was probably in 6th grade and watching Jordan and company. I do have to say WCB has come along way or at least my interest in Uconn women's team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Yeah, they probably wouldn't be on the floor at the same time much. Hamblin and Gulic rarely played beside each other in '15-'16.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they probably wouldn't be on the floor at the same time much. Hamblin and Gulic rarely played beside each other in '15-'16.

Don't get too excited.........Aquino is going to need quite a bit of work to become an impact player at the major college level.............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom