Hoopgurlz 2018 Rankings Updated | The Boneyard

Hoopgurlz 2018 Rankings Updated

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Interesting that they still have Na'Lyssa Smith listed at 6-2, as she has grown to 6-4.

Queen Egbo, who I have said before is a sleeper, is apparently no longer a sleeper as she has moved up to 14.

Baylor is on the list of Williams (1), DeCosta (5), Smith (7), Egbo (14), Grayson (16), Bickle (29), and according to chatter around Waco, Reese (12), although she has no schools of consideration listed.

Kim needs to kick some non-performers off the team to make room for these girls. :p

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Interesting that they still have Na'Lyssa Smith listed at 6-2, as she has grown to 6-4.

Queen Egbo, who I have said before is a sleeper, is apparently no longer a sleeper as she has moved up to 14.

Baylor is on the list of Williams (1), DeCosta (5), Smith (7), Egbo (14), Grayson (16), Bickle (29), and according to chatter around Waco, Reese (12), although she has no schools of consideration listed.

Kim needs to kick some non-performers off the team to make room for these girls. :p

According to NaLyssa herself, she's 6'3 and a half.. but I'm like you, she's 6'4.. and I still don't think she's the #7 player in the country. She's the closest thing I've seen to Candace Parker game-wise since Candace Parker. Nelson-Ododa's drop isn't a surprise.. scouts haven't seen her lately because of the injury. I think Williams is top 3 but I'm not sure #1... Collier rising to #2 isn't a surprise either, for various reasons. I think it's interesting that after getting the #1 player in 2017, UConn has a very good chance at getting the top 2 players again in 2018. Proof that yes, talent is spreading around, but the best of the best tends to migrate to Storrs.. even still.

Who are Egbo's schools of interest?... apparently ESPN doesnt know.

Catherine Reese has an ESPN article out where she listed a few of the schools that have offered her and the schools recruiting her the hardest (South Carolina, A&M, and Arizona). Reese does have an offer from Baylor.

Zipporah Broughton, a player from Alabama (we've done well recruiting there lately) that's soaring up the rankings is another player to keep an eye.. she went from obscurity to #23 nationally. She was offered by South Carolina a few months ago so I'm sure other big schools have followed or are close behind. She's a point guard though (we already have one in the class #9 Henderson) so I'm not sure she's a take for us. I actually think she's underrated at #23.

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Didn't Olivia Nelson-Ododa have a injury?

Reaction Score

Egbo wasn't gonna be a sleeper for very long. You know, she IS THE QUEEN afterall. :);):p:D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
According to NaLyssa herself, she's 6'3 and a half.. but I'm like you, she's 6'4.. and I still don't think she's the #7 player in the country. She's the closest thing I've seen to Candace Parker game-wise since Candace Parker. Nelson-Ododa's drop isn't a surprise.. scouts haven't seen her lately because of the injury. I think Williams is top 3 but I'm not sure #1... Collier rising to #2 isn't a surprise either, for various reasons. I think it's interesting that after getting the #1 player in 2017, UConn has a very good chance at getting the top 2 players again in 2018. Proof that yes, talent is spreading around, but the best of the best tends to migrate to Storrs.. even still.

Who are Egbo's schools of interest?... apparently ESPN doesnt know.

Catherine Reese has an ESPN article out where she listed a few of the schools that have offered her and the schools recruiting her the hardest (South Carolina, A&M, and Arizona). Reese does have an offer from Baylor.

Zipporah Broughton, a player from Alabama (we've done well recruiting there lately) that's soaring up the rankings is another player to keep an eye.. she went from obscurity to #23 nationally. She was offered by South Carolina a few months ago so I'm sure other big schools have followed or are close behind. She's a point guard though (we already have one in the class #9 Henderson) so I'm not sure she's a take for us. I actually think she's underrated at #23.

I agree with you about Smith. She is super athletic and when she grabs a rebound she can drive all the way down the court. She has an excellent handle for a "big" and when she goes up for a rebound you can bet it will be hers. Smith commented that she felt that she had been "slept on." Mulkey has been sleeping on her doorstep for years hoping for a commitment.

Queen Egbo has camped at Baylor several years and I believe she will land at Baylor. I watched some video from when Egbo and Smith were at the Baylor camp together and playing together and they look incredibly impressive. I would not be surprised to see them land at the same school.

Reaction Score
All I have to say is Na'lyssa Smith at #7 and Zay Green at #13 is kind of a joke to me. Maybe I'm a little biased because I want SC to land these young ladies but both are big time recruits. Zay has led national power duncanville tx to 3 straight state titles and the last I heard Na'Lyssa was tearing it up on the AAU circuit so I don't understand the drop.

I'm glad Destanni Henderson rightfully took her spot as #1 PG in the class. She seems to have the best PG skills out of all the PGs in the class. I was kind of confused when Jenna Brown was rated ahead of her being that Des started over Jenna in the U17 World Championships last summer and clearly was the better player.

Cate Reese is a sleeper and has a very high motor. She will be a great get for any team. Her IQ and intangibles will make her a great player at the next level.

Has anyone seen Andrea Aquino play lately? She is 6'9" and headed to corvallis next year to team up with Slocum but I didn't think she was that good. She went from being unranked to top 10 in less than a year and ahead of 6'7 Sedona Prince who has been on the scene for a while now. Did Scott Rueck just land his best recruit yet?

One last thing... it seems like this class is very PG heavy. Lots of Wings and Guards who were top 25 has took a dip and now are ranked in the top 40. Players like Elizabeth Balogun, Morgan Jones, and Madison Williams rankings went down and that's kind of odd considering all of them had a spectacular high school year. It's just something to keep your eyes on.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Wish they'd put an explanation in with new rankings. For instance, are they based on recent AAU viewings or did the end of the HS year come into play too? Did Nelson-Ododa slip due to missed time? Did Collier move up because of a strong Boo Williams showing? If so, why would Christyn Williams move up after she struggled there?

Anaya Peoples made a nice jump too. She had a mixed Boo Williams with some nice all-around stats but poor shooting numbers.

Haley Jones all the way up to 8th. Some of the PN people were hyping her performance at Boo though her stats looked just ok.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If you guys land Williams in addition to Collier, 2018-19 might beat out 2000-01 and 2015-16 as the most talented UCONN roster ever:

Projected 2018-19 rotation:
C-Stevens/C. Collier
F-KLS/Camara
F-N. Collier
G/F-Walker/Williams/Coombs
G-Dangerfield

That lineup has:
-3 number one overall recruits
-a #2 recruit
-a #3 recruit
-Two other (likely) All Americans in the lineup in Stevens and N. Collier.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
All I have to say is Na'lyssa Smith at #7 and Zay Green at #13 is kind of a joke to me. Maybe I'm a little biased because I want SC to land these young ladies but both are big time recruits. Zay has led national power duncanville tx to 3 straight state titles and the last I heard Na'Lyssa was tearing it up on the AAU circuit so I don't understand the drop.

Has anyone seen Andrea Aquino play lately? She is 6'9" and headed to corvallis next year to team up with Slocum but I didn't think she was that good. She went from being unranked to top 10 in less than a year and ahead of 6'7 Sedona Prince who has been on the scene for a while now. Did Scott Rueck just land his best recruit yet?

SC Spur: CharlieBball and I were watching/attending various NJ (and Long Island) talent over the course of this winter. I went to see AA play in late February in what turned out to be the last game Paterson Eastside played because of an international transfer scandal, which is still ongoing.

I wrote this report, which I initially posted on Feb. 24th in the Non-UConn Recruiting Information thread. As you'll see, I think she's improved greatly from the youngster I saw a few years previous to that. Still a lot of upside to deliver on, but I think Oregon State U.'s choice to offer her is a sound one. As for going to #6...hmmmm, seems like someone is basing that on potential that still needs to be grown into.

Trying to separate Andrea Aquino's involvement/being part of the Paterson Eastside situation, I went to her regular-season game against Arts. The competition was not good and she barely played in the last quarter. That said, I did get to all of her warm-ups (game started late) and the first three quarters. The good news: she's improved remarkably since I last saw her.

- She’s pretty agile, more so than I remembered/saw last time. In warm-up drills, she cuts, jumps, pivots, slides sideways well, particularly when you take into account her height (and she is 6'8") and factor in that she’s only been participating in sports for a few years.
- Hand-eye coordination is fine most of the time, particularly when the ball is up high. She grabs initial rebounds well and also helped her team break a full-court press easily by taking inbound and/or outlet passes, turning and firing two-handed outlet passes (Kevin Love-style) to wings up-court. From time to time, she would bring ball down to her waist and opposition would swat at it.
- On the minus side, from time to time, she would bring ball down to her waist and opposition would swat at it. She also let a few entry passes slip through her hands, but on at least one of those, the pass was much too fast.

- The best part of her shooting skill set is, surprisingly, her jump shot. Relatively compact stroke, good touch from the foul line in. She even stroked a three. And she was perfect from the line on free throws. She posted into the lane twice and deposited two baby hooks into the hoop – one lefty, one righty. She did not have that good a touch on traditional turn-around jump shots, which she attempted to bank. However, she had an excellent fake right- spin back to her left and finish with a left-handed finger roll.

- You can still tell the game is coming to her. Not everything is instinctive; there seems to be a slight hitch, then go to her movements. And she’s not consistently aggressive in many instances, particularly on defense or on multiple jumps at rebounds. However, once she makes her mind up offensively, she makes her move and goes. She also dove on the floor on two occasions, resulting in jump balls.
- Needs to get stronger and coached on elements like not bringing the ball down low or where to throw passes in tight spots or pressured situations. Both can be remedied easily with training and/or coaching.

After I wrote this report up, I watched the ND-BC game last night which -- because it was one-sided -- allowed ND's and BC's back-up centers to enter the game for long periods of time. Aquino moves just as well as they do and could benefit from that degree of coaching. Still don't think it is at that kind of level, but I could see a P5 school taking a chance on her or very much a mid-major.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Maybe? :D

Coco:
BTW, a young lady you and I discussed on and off over the years had a big move up in the 2017 HG report. Mikayla Vaughn went from 90 to 56 (34 spots) and probably could've moved even higher. Her Friends HS coach always thought she had the goods, but let's just say the move to Paul VI, work with that squad, competition in that tough DC/northern Va. league has helped her standing and probably her acumen. Look forward to her coming out to South Bend. My guess is that with Brianna Turner's situation, Mik is going to be on the floor a lot more than initially expected.

Reaction Score
If you guys land Williams in addition to Collier, 2018-19 might beat out 2000-01 and 2015-16 as the most talented UConn roster ever:

Projected 2018-19 rotation:
C-Stevens/C. Collier
KLS/Camara
N. Collier
G/ Walker/Williams/Coombs
G-Dangerfield

That lineup has:
-3 number one overall recruits
-a #2 recruit
-a #3 recruit
-Two other (likely) All Americans in the lineup in Stevens and N. Collier.

Then add baby bruney in 19 and we are GTG

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While the various recruiting services that rank HS players make for interesting reading, there is a high degree of subjectivity involved in the rankings themselves. Sometimes the rankings are pretty easy, i.e. Stewie #1 in 2012. At other times, ranking teenage BB players based on watching them perform a couple times against varying competition is an almost impossible task.

What I find fascinating is looking back at past rankings against actual performance at the college level. For instance, in 2014, Hoopgurlz had A'ja Wilson as #1, a ranking that certainly seems appropriate in hindsight. But Gabby Williams was way down at #14. Based on her performance this past season, it's difficult to rank Gabby any lower than 2nd in her class. While I know that Gabby dealt with some serious injuries in HS, it illustrates just how imprecise the rankings can be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
For instance, in 2014, Hoopgurlz had A'ja Wilson as #1, a ranking that certainly seems appropriate in hindsight. But Gabby Williams was way down at #14. Based on her performance this past season, it's difficult to rank Gabby any lower than 2nd in her class. While I know that Gabby dealt with some serious injuries in HS, it illustrates just how imprecise the rankings can be.

#14 is not too shabby though. And she was ranked top-10 by Blue Star and ASGR. I think if the services had her 70+ that would be an issue.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While the various recruiting services that rank HS players make for interesting reading, there is a high degree of subjectivity involved in the rankings themselves. Sometimes the rankings are pretty easy, i.e. Stewie #1 in 2012. At other times, ranking teenage BB players based on watching them perform a couple times against varying competition is an almost impossible task.

What I find fascinating is looking back at past rankings against actual performance at the college level. For instance, in 2014, Hoopgurlz had A'ja Wilson as #1, a ranking that certainly seems appropriate in hindsight. But Gabby Williams was way down at #14. Based on her performance this past season, it's difficult to rank Gabby any lower than 2nd in her class. While I know that Gabby dealt with some serious injuries in HS, it illustrates just how imprecise the rankings can be.
One of the services - I think ASGR or BS - had her, and kept her, at #2. She was injured and basically missed 2 years of high school. She ended up having almost no guard skills when she got to UCONN, prompting Geno and co. to play her in the post. The rest, as they say, is history.

By the way PN had Mitchell at #1, Atkins at #2 and Wilson at #3.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
#14 is not too shabby though. And she was ranked top-10 by Blue Star and ASGR. I think if the services had her 70+ that would be an issue.
One of the services - I think ASGR or BS - had her, and kept her, at #2. She was injured and basically missed 2 years of high school. She ended up having almost no guard skills when she got to UConn, prompting Geno and co. to play her in the post. The rest, as they say, is history.

By the way PN had Mitchell at #1, Atkins at #2 and Wilson at #3.
Agree with both posts, but a number of folks are arguing whether various HS players in the class of 2018 should be 6th, 7th, 13th, etc. Who really knows?

As for Gabby, Geno obviously had her high on his list.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Should probably mention that the '17 class was also adjusted.

Espinoza-Hunter is now #16 from her previous #38.

Coombs went from #14 to #13.

Gordon is #29 which is about what she was previously, I think.

Signing with UCONN usually equals a jump in rating. They don't want the girls to get there an prove them wrong.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I'm glad Destanni Henderson rightfully took her spot as #1 PG in the class. She seems to have the best PG skills out of all the PGs in the class. I was kind of confused when Jenna Brown was rated ahead of her being that Des started over Jenna in the U17 World Championships last summer and clearly was the better player.

Cate Reese is a sleeper and has a very high motor. She will be a great get for any team. Her IQ and intangibles will make her a great player at the next level.

One last thing... it seems like this class is very PG heavy. Lots of Wings and Guards who were top 25 has took a dip and now are ranked in the top 40. Players like Elizabeth Balogun, Morgan Jones, and Madison Williams rankings went down and that's kind of odd considering all of them had a spectacular high school year. It's just something to keep your eyes on.

I've heard the same about Green. Baylor fans who are pretty well connected to Texas basketball have seen her play and say that she is the real deal. I hated to see her eliminate Baylor but I don't think Baylor has ever landed a player from Duncanville.

Funny story about Duncanville. My parents were also big girls basketball fans so we used to go to the Duncanville tournament during the holidays and watch as many games as we could. I used to ask for that as part of my Christmas gifts. Little did I know that we would be going anyway.

At the Ducnanville tourney they used to have a little beauty pageant. Each team would nominate their prettiest girl and they would parade out in the team uniform and a sash in front of the crowd and a winner would be determined by a panel of judges. My how times have changed.

In addition to that, if you won the Duncanville tourney, you were going to win state. That was a HIGH quality girls tourney with almost every top team in the state participating, by invitation only.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Should probably mention that the '17 class was also adjusted.

Espinoza-Hunter is now #16 from her previous #38.

Coombs went from #14 to #13.

Gordon is #29 which is about what she was previously, I think.
Nice to know regarding Andi. And if your worst player (on paper) in a four-player class is ranked #29, you've got a good class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom