Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
You know, as heralded as that class is with all those highly ranked players, I would argue that UConn's incoming class is much better. Not only do they have three top ten players, including the #1 and #2, each of those players fulfills a specific role within the team. And each will be allowed to develop without the pressure of carrying the team.

Moriah will get to learn from Caroline for a year and Bria, without having to run the point by herself. Stewart can score and is a gret shot-blocker and defender, and will get to fill KML's role this year a little bit, i.e. come in and contribute immediately off the bench (I am not predicting a starter role for her, but who knows?)

And Tuck can battle it out with Stef and Kiah in practice and come in and rebound, score, defend. She adds depth at the 4, Moriah adds depth at the 1-2, and Stewart is a game-changer.

DD's class is huge, but they will still all be freshman. And that many new players on the college level is tough. The upperclassmen might not look too kindly on freshman coming in and stealing minutes, and UNC isn't good enough to provide DD and the rest with an example to look up to. They will come in and play tons, for sure, but without defined roles and expectations.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here's what HG wrote about its revised ranking of Morgan:

Morgan Tuck to No. 6 from No. 15: Just a few years ago, the 6-foot-2 forward from Bolingbrook, Ill., was the presumed No. 1 or 2 prospect in the class. But she suffered an ACL tear during the 2009 USA Basketball trials. Because it's never clear how to project a player who has suffered a major injury, ESPN HoopGurlz took a conservative approach. While many prospects do not get to demonstrate how well they rebound from a catastrophic physical event, Tuck certainly did. Whereas in the past she may have shied away from alpha roles on her teams, she truly embraced it with Bolingbrook a year after it lost top-flight point guard Ariel Massengale, now at Tennessee. In doing so, Tuck also demonstrated the physical soundness and explosiveness on par with the very best prospects in 2012.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girl...l-jones-five-players-move-final-2012-rankings

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting and I think not a bad exercise for HG to continue. They are obviously watching these kids as they are looking at the next few years' players, so making a spring adjustment makes sense. And their explanations make sense as well. Not that the reranking makes any real difference as almost all of these kids are already committed. But for a number of players the transition from deferring to seniors vs. becoming the senior leaders does make a huge difference.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This should make Eric happy ;-)
;) yep. good for Hoopgurlz. Milford and i are pleased. and again, good for HG for adjusting based on performances by the players over the past year...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There sure are alot of 97 ratings this year..... cant remember a year that has had that many.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
;) yep. good for Hoopgurlz. Milford and i are pleased. and again, good for HG for adjusting based on performances by the players over the past year...
Add me to the list of people who have suggested she was significantly under-valued at 15. Her accomplishments on an individual and team level speak for themselves. She's a top 5-caliber player...which ranking her #6 obviously reflects.

Reaction Score
The '12 class is sick (as in good)! I was a bit worried about the '13 UNC recruiting class, but even those recruits don't top UC's '12 class. As long as we come out with 2-3 good recruits from '13 to add whatever is missing from the '12 class, we are going to super, super good. The '14 class will be critical given Dolson and Hartley's departure and I am sure the coaching staff will pull in some great recruits.

I think its also important to note that despite Geno's incredibly busy schedule (ala Olympics), he has still been able to pull in outstanding recruits. Maybe the 2013 class was a product of his busy schedule (which has yet to be finalized), but given that his Olympic coaching responsibilities will be over this summer, I think that bodes well for the 2014 class.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how the top of the class of 2013 (Deshields, Russell, Davis) compares to the top of 2012 (Stewart, Jefferson, Jones, Tuck etc) the class of 2011 (KML, Elizabeth Williams, etc) and the class of 2010 (Chiney, Bria, Chelsea, etc)?

I remember someone posting a link to one of Diamond's games. And I've watched a lot of her on Youtube. I know I am going to be accused of sour grapes but I watched her and thought to myself "the class of 2013 must be pretty soft if she is #1". She struck me as very athletic and a very good but not great game changing player. Someone who I would love to have but certainly not someone I would be manic about losing if she went someone where else. If UNC gets Russell than maybe I will worry. But right now I really don't think UNC has enough against us until the class of 2012 graduates. Which would be their senior year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My Left Coast friend and I agree. Morgan had a monster season and great career. She truly seemed as if she was somewhere between #3 and #8, probably toward the top of that group. Plus Jen loved her for doing all the little things on Team USA. To top it off, she won the Mickey D's 3-point shooting contest. She is ready for prime time.

U

UCONNfan1

There sure are alot of 97 ratings this year..... cant remember a year that has had that many.
so much for the comments from some that the 2012 class was "weak" compared to 2013 or other classes...

2009 had 7 - Griner (99), Bone(98), Diggins, Walker, Reed, Oliver, Smith
2010 had 6 - Ogwumike (98), Howard, Simms, Gray, Horn, Jackson
2011 had 2 - KML (98), Williams (98) and NO 97 ratings
2012 had 9 - Stewart (98), Jefferson(98), Jones, Loyd, Graves, Tuck, Adams, Howard, Hollivay

2013 has only 3, but i'm betting that when they reevaluate, Russell, Davis and Deshields will NOT be 97's and they will have a few lower who are currently only 96 move up to 97 ratings.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I would say the 2012 class is weak compared to the whole class, 2013 being much deeper, but you guys happen to have hit the jackpot with Stewart especially, she would have been top the 2013 IMO, but the comparison is to the class as a whole not the individual players that you have.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how the top of the class of 2013 (Deshields, Russell, Davis) compares to the top of 2012 (Stewart, Jefferson, Jones, Tuck etc) the class of 2011 (KML, Elizabeth Williams, etc) and the class of 2010 (Chiney, Bria, Chelsea, etc)?

I remember someone posting a link to one of Diamond's games. And I've watched a lot of her on Youtube. I know I am going to be accused of sour grapes but I watched her and thought to myself "the class of 2013 must be pretty soft if she is #1". She struck me as very athletic and a very good but not great game changing player. Someone who I would love to have but certainly not someone I would be manic about losing if she went someone where else. If UNC gets Russell than maybe I will worry. But right now I really don't think UNC has enough against us until the class of 2012 graduates. Which would be their senior year.

Well, it's very difficult to compare, but one way is to look at the ratings. Top 6 for each year.

2009 - Griner (99), Bone (98), Diggins (97), Walker (97), Reed (97), Oliver (97)

2010 - Chiney (98), Howard (97), Sims (97), Gray (97), Horn (97), Jackson (97)........Hartley was a 96

2011 - Lewis (98), Williams (98), Burdick (96), Massingale (96), Forthan (96), Canty (96)

2012 - Stewart (98), Jefferson (98), Jones (97), Loyd (97), Graves (97), Tuck(97)

2013 - Russell (97), Davis (97), DeShields (97), Reimer (96), Greenwell (96), Harper (96)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I would say the 2012 class is weak compared to the whole class, 2013 being much deeper, but you guys happen to have hit the jackpot with Stewart especially, she would have been top the 2013 IMO, but the comparison is to the class as a whole not the individual players that you have.

Maybe after the top 20, the 2013 class is better but according to Hoopgurlz (not that they are the be all end all) 2012 is better 1-20.

98 ratings - 2012 - 2, 2011 - 0
97 ratings - 2012 - 7, 2011 - 3
96 ratings - 2012 - 8, 2011 - 8

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
That's why I said the class as a whole, and rankings as a whole have become very regionalized due to the economy, so I only go on what I see with my own eyes, especially when I discuss a player. My buddies and I don't even discuss players in terms of a ranking number, they are discussed in terms of productivity and what they would bring to a team at the college level. We think where media is concerned there is too much emphasis on flash rather than substance.

Reaction Score

I was thinking the same thing; not worried about North Carolina even if they get Russell.

Reaction Score
Add me to the list of people who have suggested she was significantly under-valued at 15. Her accomplishments on an individual and team level speak for themselves. She's a top 5-caliber player...which ranking her #6 obviously reflects.
People have forgotten that ASGR has had Morgan ranked as #4 in her class all along. They also have Stewart as #1 and Jefferson at #2.

Reaction Score
You know, as heralded as that class is with all those highly ranked players, I would argue that UConn's incoming class is much better. Not only do they have three top ten players, including the #1 and #2, each of those players fulfills a specific role within the team. And each will be allowed to develop without the pressure of carrying the team.

The amount of Championships UCONN wins will speak volumes in supporting this statement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom