Hoopfeed: Neither coach happy with officiating as Connecticut outlasts Penn State 67-52 (w/ video) | The Boneyard

Hoopfeed: Neither coach happy with officiating as Connecticut outlasts Penn State 67-52 (w/ video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“I expected to come in here and the game be competitive,” said Washington. “I didn’t think the referees called the game like there were two Top Ten teams playing on the floor, and I think that’s unfortunate. I don’t think the fans and anybody watching on TV got to see the kind of basketball that both teams are capable of playing because of the way the game was called and because of the physical play, and that’s unfortunate.”

http://j.mp/RelW9u

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yep. unfortunate that the only way for teams to really slow UCONN down or get them out of any kind of rhythm is to play overly physical against us and knock the team around. UCONN will have to adjust, but if you look at the foul disparity, it's because UCONN is simply gifted with better players (and runs better offense IMHO), and PSU had to foul to stop them.

Makes me appreciate the kind of defense that Faris, Banks, and Jefferson played last night. Not saying the rest of the team wasn't solid on defense, but those 3 stood out for various reasons to me...

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
To me, Washington's comments are somewhat strange. It seems to me that Penn State played a very physical game, especially against Stef, who was repeatedly beaten up in the low post. There's nothing wrong with physical play if the refs allow it. Both teams were physically tough last night. But for Washington to then complain about it seems a bit hypocritical, IMO. Then again, Washington has to stand up for her team, so presumably her comments are valid from her viewpoint.

Reaction Score
Actually, if you listen to her on our podcast from yesterday (also on hoopfeed), she wanted to get out and run, and hopefully have her posts keep up with UConn's posts. I think her team played more physical after the refs made it clear they were not going to be able to get out and run, neither team would be able to get out and run

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know. It seems all to frequent that teams that play a little chippy come out and complain about chippy play, in an apparent attempt to insulate themselves from criticism. I think this was spin more than anything else.

Reaction Score
Yep. unfortunate that the only way for teams to really slow UCONN down or get them out of any kind of rhythm is to play overly physical against us and knock the team around. UCONN will have to adjust, but if you look at the foul disparity, it's because UCONN is simply gifted with better players (and runs better offense IMHO), and PSU had to foul to stop them.

Makes me appreciate the kind of defense that Faris, Banks, and Jefferson played last night. Not saying the rest of the team wasn't solid on defense, but those 3 stood out for various reasons to me...
I just want to see a UConn kid take a charge this year. You'd think after getting called for about 3 in the first few minutes they'd learn what they could do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom