Honoring the victims | The Boneyard

Honoring the victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would like to see our basketball team honor the victims of Sandy Hook elementary for the rest of the season. Not sure exactly how we should do it, maybe a patch on the jersey's. I'm sure Monday we will honor them but there needs to be a way to honor them for the rest of the season. This happened in our great state and our bball program has given our residents so much pride over the years. This horrible tragedy and the beautiful little kids and educators can never be forgotten.

Reaction Score
A black number 26 patch on the uniform? Or what about adding 26 to the ring of honor?

Reaction Score
A black number 26 patch on the uniform? Or what about adding 26 to the ring of honor?

I m struggling with 26 or 27....I put up 26 angels at St Roses, but my daughter convinced me that 27 was more appropriate, citing Mr. Parker's speech. I am still unsure

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
27 is appropriate -- counting his mother. But no way is it appropriate to count the perp.

Reaction Score
Mr. Parker's speech was incredible, the man just lost his 6 year old daughter and he was speaking about how we all need to have compassion for everyone. He offered his forgiveness and love to the killer's family. He spoke with such courage, if there were more people like Mr. Parker our world would be such a better place.

Reaction Score
Patches or names on jersey

Perhaps put the names on the court itself, circling the half court logo.

Reaction Score
The symbol of Newtown is a crow. I've seen those patches around already.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
What about everybody wearing the number 27 on the back of there Jersey?
Kinda like baseball for Jackie Robinson day. (Who died in the great state of Connecticut)

Reaction Score
What about everybody wearing the number 27 on the back of there Jersey?
Kinda like baseball for Jackie Robinson day. (Who died in the great state of Connecticut)

As their jersey number for the game? Two reasons that may not happen.

1. Different from baseball, fouls towards disqualification are made by jersey number. How does the table differentiate between the 27's when a foul is reported?

2. 27 is an illegal number for NCAA basketball and we all know how flexible the NCAA is...

I'm not saying the sentiment is a bad one, just not likely realistic to happen.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
As their jersey number for the game? Two reasons that may not happen.

1. Different from baseball, fouls towards disqualification are made by jersey number. How does the table differentiate between the 27's when a foul is reported?

2. 27 is an illegal number for NCAA basketball and we all know how flexible the NCAA is...

I'm not saying the sentiment is a bad one, just not likely realistic to happen.
I was about to ask why in the world 27 would be illegal, then I thunked about it a bit. It's so they can display all numbers with two hands. So I checked and that is correct. Legal numbers: 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, ... 50-55. I never thought about that before.

But this begs the question, does the NCAA ban refs who have less than 5 fingers per hand? What if they had 6 fingers - other than the obvious problem if Inigo Montoya happened to attend a game?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I was about to ask why in the world 27 would be illegal, then I thunked about it a bit. It's so they can display all numbers with two hands. So I checked and that is correct. Legal numbers: 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, ... 50-55. I never thought about that before.

But this begs the question, does the NCAA ban refs who have less than 5 fingers per hand? What if they had 6 fingers - other than the obvious problem if Inigo Montoya happened to attend a game?

inconceivable.jpg

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
One of the children murdered was the child of a UConn alum. One of the slain teachers was a UConn alum. The pain has touched this university at a deep, direct level.

I'm not always on board with how this school has handled PR in recent years, but at have no doubts that they will make an appropriate, thoughtful tribute.

Reaction Score
One of the children murdered was the child of a UConn alum. One of the slain teachers was a UConn alum. The pain has touched this university at a deep, direct level.
Lauren Rouseau was the Connecticut alumnus teacher, and at least one parent/ fellow alumnus was once a UCMB member. Somehow, it would seem the UConn Health Center may play an immediate role helping families and others impacted by the tragic events. The Health Center, Neag School of Education, College of Agriculture, other departments and programs, and the UConn Foundation all would seem to offer people potential for longer term, lasting, and beneficial memorials.

Reaction Score
every dunkin donuts in the state has warde's number

It is a sad time for Newtown and the state ( and perhaps the world) and you just can't seem to help yourself to post another Warde=doughnut non joke. Its getting really old.

Reaction Score
The Giants are wearing the initials "SHES" on the back of their helmets today. The Jets are doing the same thing tomorrow night.

Pats are wearing this decal on their helmets tonight:

newtown.jpg

I'm sure UConn will come up with something nice and respectable. This is our home state and our state university represents it.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I used to work in Newtown and live in neighboring Southbury on the Sandy Hook side. I also have many friends there and have spent a lot of time there. I didn't know any of the victims persnally but I know of at least two kids who's parents were close friends with two of my friends. As the father of a nearly six-year old, this has really hit home. I just got back from Sandy Hook and visited the area near Sandy Hook Elementary School and the other memorials. The outpouring of love expressed with flowers, cards, toys etc. was overwhelming. Near the school they have Christmas trees with the child victims names on them that people have decorated and people have left toys beneath them. I highly encourage anyone in CT who is close enough to Sandy Hook to get there, to come and pay respects to the little angels and heroic teachers and administrators.

Reaction Score
Sounds like KO and the team really want to do something to help out.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-men-1217-20121216,0,3820479.story

The Huskies are aware, too, that they have a role to play, to help ease the pain for a while for their grieving fans and home state. Coach Kevin Ollie said he would like to bring the team to Newtown at some point. One suggestion at UConn was to hold a practice there.

"I don't know if we can help," Ollie said, "but it would be better than staying here and doing nothing. We want them to know they're in our hearts and on our minds. … This hits home. That could have been any of our kids that got on that bus. I walk my daughter to the bus every day. Twenty families didn't get their son or daughter back. Just go home and love your family, because you never know."

Reaction Score
Sounds like KO and the team really want to do something to help out.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-men-1217-20121216,0,3820479.story

The Huskies are aware, too, that they have a role to play, to help ease the pain for a while for their grieving fans and home state. Coach Kevin Ollie said he would like to bring the team to Newtown at some point. One suggestion at UConn was to hold a practice there.

"I don't know if we can help," Ollie said, "but it would be better than staying here and doing nothing. We want them to know they're in our hearts and on our minds. … This hits home. That could have been any of our kids that got on that bus. I walk my daughter to the bus every day. Twenty families didn't get their son or daughter back. Just go home and love your family, because you never know."

Great read! Thanks! I love what Shabazz had to say.

Reaction Score
I love Kevin Ollie and Shabazz Napier, they represent our state U in the best way.

Reaction Score
It would be great if they could get sticky-version (thinking "Hi My Name Is. . .) of the jersey patches and pass them out for tonight's game.

It'll never happen but I wish there could be general admission seating tonight - it would create a feeling of coming together (instead of the usual half-empty lower bowl for an inferior opponent). I remember going to the first football game in Storrs after 9/11 (Buffalo). Everyone actually held hands for God Bless America and the anthem.

Reaction Score
This is an email I received back from the University:

Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for your thoughtful email, related to our plans to honor the victims of Friday’s tragedy in Newtown. Please know that we have been making plans since this terrible event occurred. Our men’s and women’s teams will wear a special patch on their jerseys (for the rest of the season) recognizing Sandy Hook Elementary School. Coaches and other staff members will be wearing ribbons.

For both tonight’s men’s game and Wednesday’s women’s game, we will also have a special moment-of-silence ceremony to show our respects to those who have lost their lives, and those in Newtown who continue to display great strength and conviction. Amidst unthinkable sorrow, the people in this wonderful community have given all of us a renewed faith in the human spirit.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member