Home Heating Oil | The Boneyard

Home Heating Oil

Reaction Score
Running low before order., poorly timed. Company suggested adding diesel fuel until they get their.

Anyone ever have to do this? Sounds odd

Reaction Score
Running low before order., poorly timed. Company suggested adding diesel fuel until they get their.

Diesel and heating oil are almost the exact same thing. I think diesel might be filtered better or something. It's actually recommended by many to keep some diesel on hand just in case of emergency.

My current fiance before we lived together ran out of oil at least twice a year. I used diesel to top her off 3 or 4 times before I gave up on her homeownership skills and we got a place together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have run out a couple of times over the years and use diesel to get back up and running while I’m waiting for delivery. It’s the same except for the red dye added for heating oil

Reaction Score

Yes it actually Works well.
I was shocked one 5 gal can
Got me through the night
I don’t miss paying to heat a house.
The sun warms it up to 75
and even with overnight lows in the 40’ the house stays about 71-70
I call it solar heat.
In January of 2002 I was in Hawaii when Ct had a week of real cold. 0 temps.
My wife was having a nervous breakdown worrying about running out of oil and the pipes freezing.
we called all over to get a delivery.
That convinced me that maintaining two houses was never going to work.
That was the original plan.

Reaction Score
Yes it actually Works well.
I was shocked one 5 gal can
Got me through the night
I don’t miss paying to heat a house.
The sun warms it up to 75
and even with overnight lows in the 40’ the house stays about 71-70
I call it solar heat.
In January of 2002 I was in Hawaii when Ct had a week of real cold. 0 temps.
My wife was having a nervous breakdown worrying about running out of oil and the pipes freezing.
we called all over to get a delivery.
That convinced me that maintaining two houses was never going to work.
That was the original plan.

If you have two homes, you basically need to have a generator that comes on automatically if either is in the cold.

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
Both are #2 fuel oil just colored different so authorities can tell if folks run their trucks on it, I use it in my tractor all the time as long as it's not on the road

Reaction Score
Many commercial and residential oil furnaces can run on kerosene. I know some use it in winter having outdoor storage tanks. The oil becomes too viscous to move.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m on auto delivery and they came yesterday. I’m sure the govt would be thrilled if you wanted to pay the extra taxes for diesel at the pump. Just don’t do the opposite…unless there is a zombie Apocalypse.

Reaction Score

Late to the game, but my father has been delivering oil for 40+ years. #2 home heating oil and diesel are essentially the same thing. He often recommends this to customers that can handle it.

Reaction Score
Some people Google. I prefer the boneyard knowledge base.
How long does she have to wait?

They could not guarantee a delivery date. Friday, Sat or Monday at worst, although they said they would do their best for Friday. Going to grab a 5 gallon tank and fill it with diesel, just in case

Curiouser
Reaction Score

They could not guarantee a delivery date. Friday, Sat or Monday at worst, although they said they would do their best for Friday. Going to grab a 5 gallon tank and fill it with diesel, just in case
@Chin Diesel ?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It's going to take a bunch of training videos with a lot of variety but I'll fill it.

Reaction Score

Have you ever tried cashheatingoil.com? Discounted prices for oil with options from 4 or 5 deliverers and they usually deliver within 1-2 days. They will tel you the day up front.
Just a heads up for the future

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom