• Cincinnati - 11/22

Votes: 56 46.7%
  • SMU - 12/6

Votes: 99 82.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tell you right now I would sign up for 4 wins at home in a duck*ing heartbeat. Do that and we have a good shot at getting bowl eligible. Given the inexperience on the OL and at LB I honestly don't know.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
it wasnt me, but given past history what makes you think we 'should'?

Because this a new regime. I would trust that if UConn were to lose to BYU and Boise St. that they would clean up their mistakes against Stony Brook. But just my prediction.

Reaction Score
Tell you right now I would sign up for 4 wins at home in a duck*ing heartbeat. Do that and we have a good shot at getting bowl eligible. Given the inexperience on the OL and at LB I honestly don't know.
O-Line is the Big question. I think we will be good at LB. Expect hard hitting Graham Stewart to lead. I also like Rueben Frank and Jefferson Ashiru.

It bothers me (can't cry over spilled milk but..) that UCONN could have had Temple's ( St. Joe's grad )Tyler Matakevich but nobody from the Pasqualoni regime showed interest. I heard this from a very reliable source.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124196&draftyear=2016&genpos=OLB

Reaction Score
As of now, we actually have 4(!) people who've picked Stony Brook over UCONN!

77 votes for UCONN making 95.1% means 81 votes were cast. I say we find these traitors and ban them from the yard! (Just kidding, but man, we either have trolls around, or some sad fans!)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well the homers admittedly ignore reality.

Whatever. You know, you said earlier that the Boneyard was the only place on the planet where looking at something objectively and fair is frowned upon. I'd argue that the Boneyard is the only place on the planet where looking at something positively is frowned upon. But it seems you're okay with that...

Reaction Score
Who ever thinks we are going to lose to Stoney Brook needs to find a new hobby.

Our guys are stronger, bigger, have higher energy, will be playing as a team and have a coach with a clue. These same things help us beat Towson last year.

Strength, unity, heart and a good coach can win games people expect you to lose. Nothing wrong with being a homer. Going into a season expecting to lose 4 games at home is depressing. Watching the game is only part of the fun. The anticipation and build up to the games is equally exciting.

Reaction Score
Whatever. You know, you said earlier that the Boneyard was the only place on the planet where looking at something objectively and fair is frowned upon. I'd argue that the Boneyard is the only place on the planet where looking at something positively is frowned upon. But it seems you're okay with that...

There's nothing wrong with being a homer but it's just not possible to have a rational conversation when one side of the discussion is talking in fantasy. I don't know why you think I'm frowning upon anyone who looks at the glass half full.

There is a difference between being optimistic and pure fantasy. In my opinion we spend way too much time denigrating each other's fandom. This place would be downright boring if everyone was alike.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My opinion:

I think we have a chance to winning all of our games but I don't think that will happen. As Jimmy said earlier, this team is usually good for losing a game they should win and win a game they should lose. I have us winning 5 home games. That would put us in good position to win a few road games and get to a bowl. I think we'll need at least 7 wins to get to a bowl given our AAC affiliation. 6-6 AAC teams will be passed over by bowls like a ranked SMU team was passed over for the NCAAT. Anyway, here's how I think things will play out (opinion as of 6/17...subject to change)...

BYU - 34-24 L; if there's such a thing as a "good" loss, this will be it. I think the crowd will be jacked and the team will feed off the energy much like the Michigan game. But also much like the Michigan game, the team with a better skill level (my opinion) and more cohesion (no coaching changes in important areas) will win out. I think UCONN hangs for 3 quarters but the BYU offensive tempo will wear down our D and lead to some late scores to pull away late.

Stony Brook - 35-10 W; first win of the Diaco era. Good opportunity to bounce back from a tough BYU loss by imposing a strong physical dominance over a weaker opponent. These guys will be more fired up than usual for a FCS opponent given last year's embarrassment. I think our coaching staff will use last year as motivation and our guys respond by pounding the ground and being physical up front.

Boise State - 30-27 W; the first signature win of the Diaco era. Boise will come in as favorites but I think the line will go down by kickoff. This is the game that re-establishes the Rent as a tough place to play for opponents. I think UCONN will ride the crowd, get some big stops late and engineer a late drive to go on top for good.

Temple - 28-13 W; Coming off the first road game of the season, I think the team will be ready to play back at home (possible letdown game at USF the previous week). Temple has won far too many games on our field and that has to stop. We win relatively comfortably.

UCF - 31-30 W; last year's blowout loss was an utter embarrassment. Not only did our players not show up (and the ones who did, quit by halftime), but UCF ran up the score and had fun doing it. I understand why they did and if UCONN was in the same position, I'd want to do the same under the old BCS system. But that doesn't mean that our coaching staff will have last year's score plastered up all over the locker room all week. UCONN fans will do a snow dance and should be lifted by 30s (or hopefully lower) temps. Diaco seems to stress college pageantry and a big part of college football season is homecoming. Our players are ready and pull off the upset.

Cincinnati - 40-28 L; here's the downer of the year. I'm not saying we should win this game but there is always a dud game and we seem to play duds against the Bearcats year in and year out. This year's dud will be closer than the previous two but a dud is a dud. It will be an especially disappointing loss after the wins against UCF and a rockin' Yankee Stadium against Army (showing UCONN's reach into NYC).

SMU - 45-28 W; I think UCONN will be 6-5 headed into this game and needing a W to get to a bowl game. They get it here. In a very open offensive game, SMU's sharpness in the cold is not as crisp as normal and we are able to score against their weak D after forcing a few turnovers. In his first year as head coach, Bob Diaco is going to enter coaching carousel silly season in high demand.

5 homes wins. 2 wins on the road (I think Army and Memphis). 7 wins total. Enough to get UCONN into a crappy AAC-affiliated bowl game but a chance for 30 days of extra practices and for UCONN fans to show strong support in a bowl game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As of now, we actually have 4(!) people who've picked Stony Brook over UCONN!

77 votes for UCONN making 95.1% means 81 votes were cast. I say we find these traitors and ban them from the yard! (Just kidding, but man, we either have trolls around, or some sad fans!)

look at history, not just UCONNS, but FBS vs FCS schools, and I bet 1 out of every 20 or so, is won by the fcs school. so 95.1% sounds good to me

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Dooley I agree with everything except for needing to get to 7 wins for a bowl. Bowls are different from the NCAA tournament in that the conference has a certain amount of tie ins where the bowl doesn't really have a choice in who they take (as in it has to be an AAC member if its on the board). Also theres a good shot other conferences (or our own conference) doesn't fill bowl quotas and we fill in in an unaffiliated bowl.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
My opinion:

I think we have a chance to winning all of our games but I don't think that will happen. As Jimmy said earlier, this team is usually good for losing a game they should win and win a game they should lose. I have us winning 5 home games. That would put us in good position to win a few road games and get to a bowl. I think we'll need at least 7 wins to get to a bowl given our AAC affiliation. 6-6 AAC teams will be passed over by bowls like a ranked SMU team was passed over for the NCAAT. Anyway, here's how I think things will play out (opinion as of 6/17...subject to change)...

BYU - 34-24 L; if there's such a thing as a "good" loss, this will be it. I think the crowd will be jacked and the team will feed off the energy much like the Michigan game. But also much like the Michigan game, the team with a better skill level (my opinion) and more cohesion (no coaching changes in important areas) will win out. I think UCONN hangs for 3 quarters but the BYU offensive tempo will wear down our D and lead to some late scores to pull away late.

Stony Brook - 35-10 W; first win of the Diaco era. Good opportunity to bounce back from a tough BYU loss by opposing a strong physical dominance over a weaker opponent. These guys will be more fired up than usual for a FCS opponent given last year's embarrassment. I think our coaching staff will use last year as motivation and our guys respond by pounding the ground and being physical up front.

Boise State - 30-27 W; the first signature win of the Diaco era. Boise will come in as favorites but I think the line will go down by kickoff. This is the game that re-establishes the Rent as a tough place to play for opponents. I think UCONN will ride the crowd, get some big stops late and engineer a late drive to go on top for good.

Temple - 28-13 W; Coming off the first road game of the season, I think the team will be ready to play back at home (possible letdown game at USF the previous week). Temple has far too many games on our field and that has to stop. We win relatively comfortably.

UCF - 31-30 W; last year's blowout loss was an utter embarrassment. Not only did our players not show up (and the ones who did, quit by halftime), but UCF ran up the score and had fun doing it. I understand why they did and if UCONN was in the same position, I'd want to do the same under the old BCS system. But that doesn't mean that our coaching staff will have last year's score plastered up all over the locker room all week. UCONN fans will do a snow dance and should be lifted by 30s (or hopefully lower) temps. Diaco seems to stress college pageantry and a big part of college football season is homecoming. Our players are ready and pull off the upset.

Cincinnati - 40-28 L; here's the downer of the year. I'm not saying we should win this game but there is always a dud game and we seem to play duds against the Bearcats year in and year out. This year's dud will be closer than the previous two but a dud is a dud. It will be an especially disappointing loss after the wins against UCF and a rockin' Yankee Stadium against Army (showing UCONN's reach into NYC).

SMU - 45-28 W; I think UCONN will be 6-5 headed into this game and needing a W to get to a bowl game. They get it here. In a very open offensive game, SMU's sharpness in the cold is not as crisp as normal and we are able to score against their weak D after forcing a few turnovers. In his first year as head coach, Bob Diaco is going to enter coaching carousel silly season in high demand.

5 homes wins. 2 wins on the road (I think Army and Memphis). 7 wins total. Enough to get UCONN into a crappy AAC-affiliated bowl game but a chance for 30 days of extra practices and for UCONN fans to show strong support in a bowl game.
Great Post! Pretty much what I predict (7 wins) except I think we probably lose in a close game to UCF and win 3 road games (Tulane, Army, Memphis). However, the optimist/homer in me says we win more than 7 if we start out 2-1 or even 2-2 and stay healthy. If that happens, we're on a roll and there are scores to settle with UCF and Cinci, and the guys who were part of last year's beat downs will be pumped to deliver some retribution!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Dooley I agree with everything except for needing to get to 7 wins for a bowl. Bowls are different from the NCAA tournament in that the conference has a certain amount of tie ins where the bowl doesn't really have a choice in who they take (as in it has to be an AAC member if its on the board). Also theres a good shot other conferences (or our own conference) doesn't fill bowl quotas and we fill in in an unaffiliated bowl.

I hear ya. I just think that if a 6-6 team from a P5 conference can lose out on getting to a bowl, I don't think a 6-6 AAC (or MAC, MWC, CUSA, etc) team will get one. Especially not us since we have a reputation out there of not traveling well. I would think that if there are a number of 6-6 teams to choose from, bowls would want to fill them with as many P5 schools or strong fanbase reputations as possible.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I hear ya. I just think that if a 6-6 team from a P5 conference can lose out on getting to a bowl, I don't think a 6-6 AAC (or MAC, MWC, CUSA, etc) team will get one. Especially not us since we have a reputation out there of not traveling well. I would think that if there are a number of 6-6 teams to choose from, bowls would want to fill them with as many P5 schools or strong fanbase reputations as possible.

Lets just win em all and go to the Rose Bowl

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't know why you think I'm frowning upon anyone who looks at the glass half full.

I think it was the part where you said the homers admittedly ignore reality. That was probably it.

Look, do I expect them to go 13-0? If I'm being honest, no. Do I see a game on the schedule that we can't win? If I'm being honest....no...

Reaction Score
4-3 with that schedule. I have to agree.

Reaction Score
We can win all these games. We'll be in every one of them. The spirit of this team took an upward turn towards the end of last year and TJ Weist said we'll be a much better team this year with everything BD is doing. But here's a scoop-lol. It all begins with the O-Line. As it goes, so will the team. I'm admittedly an optimist, but I feel a seed change occurring. And my sense is that BD will get lots of votes for coach of the year. I can feel it. Can you?

cttxus

Reaction Score
We can win all these games. We'll be in every one of them. The spirit of this team took an upward turn towards the end of last year and TJ Weist said we'll be a much better team this year with everything BD is doing. But here's a scoop-lol. It all begins with the O-Line. As it goes, so will the team. I'm admittedly an optimist, but I feel a seed change occurring. And my sense is that BD will get lots of votes for coach of the year. I can feel it. Can you?
You bet, but I think it feels more like a sea change ;)

Reaction Score
Realistic optimist.
There are a number of intangibles this season that make it hard to make a realistic prediction. At this point it comes down to faith. Do you trust HCBD & the great staff he has put together? Will Balis' training program + Diaco energy & enthusiasm be enough to get us wins where we shouldn't? I think so.

I also think we could play ugly at times but don't see us reprising any of the stinkers from last year.

cttxus

Reaction Score
That's actually old school. Get hip to the new.
Urban Dictionary www.urbandictionary.com
Seed Change: a dramatic change or departure from the status quo such as a paradigm shift.
That's actually old school. Get hip to the new.
Urban Dictionary www.urbandictionary.com
Seed Change: a dramatic change or departure from the status quo such as a paradigm shift.
Well, I guess I'm not surprised at that being the unhip kinda guy I am. But I'll stick with what most people recognize as the traditional expression, just like I'll stick with my preference for the block C helmet over the supposedly hip one we have now. Next thing you know you'll hear about people being put on pedal stools and that things are part of the course. :eek:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Probably more than any other year anyone making strong predictions on what this team is going to do is just talking out of their a**es.

They had a terrible season but still managed to lose a lot of valuable players.

You know Foley can coach the offensive line but have no idea if they have anyone who can play.

You might like what Diaco is saying - but what he says is about 0.1% of his job so at this point it's a guess if
A: he'll be a good head coach
B: he'll be a good head coach fast enough to impact 2014 in a big way.

I'm pretty convinced of A, but I suspect a lot of people are ignoring B here.

I look at the roster and honestly it looks pretty barren. But again impossible to know... can some of these guys play and was Pasqualoni the problem. Injuries are a huge factor in any season but when you are thin they can take you off the rails.

If you wanted go 6-6, 7-5.... this is probably the worst schedule combination UConn could have in that regard. The better teams at home and the bad teams on the road are what you want when gearing up for a big season. To try and scrape to bowl eligibility you'd want the opposite.

I'd expect to beat SBU, I'd suspect they beat Temple. Those are the only two home games they would be favored in today.

To beat BYU would take a monumental effort. Cincinnati and UCF clearly have better teams going into the season.

SMU is a bit of a wildcard to me, but the game I think they could steal is against Boise.

If they beat SBU, Boise, Temple and Tulane hopefully that will sustain some attendance and regenerate some home field advantage.

If they somehow lost to Tulane and came back home for UCF at say 2-5 after 34 days of not playing at home it will be a depressing place.

Reaction Score
Who ever thinks we are going to lose to Stoney Brook needs to find a new hobby.

Our guys are stronger, bigger, have higher energy, will be playing as a team and have a coach with a clue. These same things help us beat Towson last year.

Strength, unity, heart and a good coach can win games people expect you to lose. Nothing wrong with being a homer. Going into a season expecting to lose 4 games at home is depressing. Watching the game is only part of the fun. The anticipation and build up to the games is equally exciting.

ICYMI we LOST to Towson last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek