• SMU - 12/6

Votes: 99 82.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Vote for as many games that you think we will win.

Reaction Score
Well this shows we have a delusional fan base. Haha. Gotta have faith I guess.

Reaction Score
Picking undefeated seasons since 1983!
I saw this on Buffalo Bills site and thought it described the different types of fans:
I altered it in a few places to relate it to uconn fans.

I see a lot of talk here about Homers and Haters and those who claim to be "Realists".

I'll give you the right to call yourself whatever you want.

To me, a "Homer" is someone who unflinchingly believes that UCONN will go to a bowl game every year. Every player is an All-American no matter what the signs might tell an average person. The cup is always full and the sun will be brighter tomorrow. I think we have very few of these people here. A homer will say UCONN will go 7-0 at home.

There's another type present here that seem to be "Optimists". They see that there are faults with the team, yet are willing to see past them and hope for better days to come. We truly want the team, the coaches, the players to succeed. I'll admit I'm one of these people. When my hopes don't come true, I'm mildly disappointed; however, I get over it fairly quickly. Doens't make us homers to want success. They will predict 5-2 or at worst 4-3!

Then there's those people who call themselves "Realists". Other people call these Realists haters, but I don't think that's fair. A Realist to me is sort of like the anti-optimist, borderline pessimist. However a Realist lives in the "right now" and uses history to make pass judgements. It's not that they hate, it's that they guard against disappointment. It's easier to believe that, for instance, Cochran won't ever get any better, or that we'll never be better than 5-7 because that way they know, and have come to expect, the status quo. When that expected outcome happens, they're comfortable because that's what they expected; however, when it does happen they accept it and it may become part of the basis for their future judgements. A realist can evolve. If they can't accept it, then they may be a hater. A realist will forecast 3-4

Haters, they really have no business here. A hater is beyond the pessimist. You can be a Pessimist and still like your team. A Hater wishes ill will on the players and coaches and actually want's the team to do badly. It makes them feel better about themselves. They crave attention like little kids. A Hater can't be argued with and should be placed on everyone's ignore list. A Hater it like a Troll, not worthy of a reply. It's easy to be a Hater. it's easy to be an internet tough guy and spew negativity with every word. I feel sorry for Haters because they seldom experience any pleasure in life. These sick people will predict 0-7!

Confident Carl is an optimist! What kind of poster are you?

Last edited:

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I saw this on Buffalo Bills site and thought it described the different types of fans:

I see allot of talk here about Homers and Haters and those who claim to be "Realists".

To me, a "Homer" is someone who unflinchingly believes that UCONN will go to a bowl game every year. Every player is an All-American no matter what the signs might tell an average person. The cup is always full and the sun will be brighter tomorrow. I think we have very few of these people here. A homer will say UCONN will go 7-0 at home.

There's another type present here that seem to be "Optimists". They see that there are faults with the team, yet are willing to see past them and hope for better days to come. We truly want the team, the coaches, the players to succeed. I'll admit I'm one of these people. When my hopes don't come true, I'm mildly disappointed; however, I get over it fairly quickly. Doens't make us homers to want success. They will predict 5-2 or at worst 4-3!

I am an Optimist to the core.

Then there's those people who call themselves "Realists". Other people call these Realists haters, but I don't think that's fair. A Realist to me is sort of like the anti-optimist, borderline pessimist. However a Realist lives in the "right now" and uses history to make pass judgements. It's not that they hate, it's that they guard against disappointment. It's easier to believe that, for instance, Cochran won't ever get any better, or that we'll never be better than 5-7 because that way they know, and have come to expect, the status quo. When that expected outcome happens, they're comfortable because that's what they expected; however, when it does happen they accept it and it may become part of the basis for their future judgements. A realist can evolve. If they can't accept it, then they may be a hater. A realist will forecast 3-4

Haters, they really have no business here. A hater is beyond the pessimist. You can be a Pessimist and still like your team. A Hater wishes ill will on the players and coaches and actually want's the team to do badly. It makes them feel better about themselves. They crave attention like little kids. A Hater can't be argued with and should be placed on everyone's ignore list. A Hater it like a Troll, not worthy of a reply. It's easy to be a Hater. it's easy to be an internet tough guy and spew negativity with every word. I feel sorry for Haters because they seldom experience any pleasure in life. These sick people will predict 0-7!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I see allot of talk here about Homers and Haters and those who claim to be "Realists".

By your definition of records, I would be considered a "homer". But here's the way that I look at it:

1) None of the games on our schedule are unwinnable. This isn't the Boise state that went 11-0 a couple of years ago. This isn't the Ty Detmer or Steve Young BYU squad. Hell, even UCF will be without Bortles and Storm Johnson! So since none of them are unwinnable, why would I believe that we would lose any of them?

2) Since none of the games have been played yet, by definition, nobody can consider themselves a "realist". The reality of the situation has not yet been set. You could perhaps call yourself "pragmatic" or "cautious" or "not...confident..." ;)

3) This board is a collection of the most fanatic fans of the University of Connecticut. If WE can't believe in winning the games, how the hell is the TEAM supposed to believe?!?

So I will accept my "homer" title with pride...

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Take 2: I'm an optimist to the core. But it can sometimes border on Homerism with passionate arguments like Dan's! ;)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am an optimist and picked UCONN to win 6 out of 7. I know that may be overly optimistic but I can't be down on these Huskies with this staff. I think they will perform better than anyone thinks this year.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
If Boise State can have national title aspirations, so can we. Obviously must win. I think Diaco is having fun with this gig. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays if we can win at the pace Cincinnati has been winning.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
By your definition of records, I would be considered a "homer". But here's the way that I look at it:

1) None of the games on our schedule are unwinnable. This isn't the Boise state that went 11-0 a couple of years ago. This isn't the Ty Detmer or Steve Young BYU squad. Hell, even UCF will be without Bortles and Storm Johnson! So since none of them are unwinnable, why would I believe that we would lose any of them?

2) Since none of the games have been played yet, by definition, nobody can consider themselves a "realist". The reality of the situation has not yet been set. You could perhaps call yourself "pragmatic" or "cautious" or "not...confident..." ;)

3) This board is a collection of the most fanatic fans of the University of Connecticut. If WE can't believe in winning the games, how the hell is the TEAM supposed to believe?!?

So I will accept my "homer" title with pride...
Because of your picks which are always flawless I just had my wife book a trip to Florida in December ,hoping its Tampa.

Reaction Score
Voted for undefeated home season. Because!
BYU-Opener-Dawn of a new age-pull off the upset with the fans as the "10th man".
Stonybrook-FCS-Need I say more?
Boise St.-Battle of new coaches-home team wins
Temple-We're better than them
UCF-Welcome to the RENT
Cinci-They've been our Kryptonite but Coach D. finds a way
SMU-This isn't the Pony Express-let's see how they play when the thermometer plummets

Reaction Score
Voted for undefeated home season. Because!
BYU-Opener-Dawn of a new age-pull off the upset with the fans as the "10th man".
Stonybrook-FCS-Need I say more?
Boise St.-Battle of new coaches-home team wins
Temple-We're better than them
UCF-Welcome to the RENT
Cinci-They've been our Kryptonite but Coach D. finds a way
SMU-This isn't the Pony Express-let's see how they play when the thermometer plummets

we're going to win against byu with only 9 men on the field? wow that's optimism.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Golden Nugget release some lines:

BYU -16.5 and Boise -10.

Coach wouldn't the Fans be the 12th man? Would imagine it's difficult to stay in a legal formation with only 9 guys on offense.... :)

Boise State has no delusions of any national championship.

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the realist camp. The Boneyard is probably the only place on the planet where looking at something objectively and fair is frowned upon. I don't buy Dan's nonsense about how if we don't believe, the team can't believe. What we do and say here has no impact on what happens between the lines.

I think about 3 home wins sounds right. As has been the pattern recently, we probably win one we shouldn't and lose one we shouldn't. But I picked Stony Brook, Temple, and SMU. We may get Cincy or UCF too.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What a realist sees is that it's a little silly to have expectations one way or another this particular pre-season. We have a program coming off 3 straight losing seasons. We have a first time head coach who seems to say and do things that are very positive, but we haven't seen one game played by a team of his. Yes, the team won 3 in a row at the end of last year, but the QB might or might not be the same, the lead back will be new (although the optimist in me thinks we can do better with a speedier and/or stronger lead back). The coach who led us to those 3 wins is also no longer with the program. A few kids are gone who were drafted and key parts of a losing team.

Realist or not, I've always thought pre-season picks in any sport are fun, but that's about it and official pre-season polls have a way of setting certain attitudes in stone that are hard for an unexpectedly good team to overcome on the national title scene. My only prediction is that we probably won't have a spotless record in either direction.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm probably in the realist camp. The Boneyard is probably the only place on the planet where looking at something objectively and fair is frowned upon. I don't buy Dan's nonsense about how if we don't believe, the team can't believe. What we do and say here has no impact on what happens between the lines.

I think about 3 home wins sounds right. As has been the pattern recently, we probably win one we shouldn't and lose one we shouldn't. But I picked Stony Brook, Temple, and SMU. We may get Cincy or UCF too.

This is why we can't have nice things...

Reaction Score
Golden Nugget release some lines:

BYU -16.5 and Boise -10.

Coach wouldn't the Fans be the 12th man? Would imagine it's difficult to stay in a legal formation with only 9 guys on offense.... :)

Boise State has no delusions of any national championship.
This is what happens when you start typing before the morning coffee kicks in.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom