Home-court heroes in WCBB | The Boneyard

Home-court heroes in WCBB

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The recent Tennessee and Mississippi State games got me thinking about teams that have played no true road games thus far in the OOC season. ("True road games" are played on the opponent's home court, as opposed to neutral-court games in places like Cancun.) They are two of only six teams for whom that is the case.

Listed by current Massey ranking:
6. Mississippi State (9-0): 6 home games, 3 in Cancun.
9. Tennessee (10-0): 7 home games, 3 in Cancun.
45. DePaul (6-3): 6 home games, 3 in Las Vegas. (But currently playing a true road game at Northwestern.)
89. North Carolina (8-2): 10 home games.
101. Kansas (8-1): 9 home games.
292. Coastal Carolina (5-4): 7 homes games, 2 in Daytona Beach.

Very interesting that Tennessee and Mississippi State are the only teams currently in the top 25 who have yet to step foot in an opponent's gym. We are already a third of the way through the regular season.

Reaction Score
Doesn't Mississippi St draw great attendance? It's probably a nice revenue stream.

Reaction Score
When it's all said and done Tennessee will have played 3 neutral court OOC games along with 7 home and 3 away. I do believe one road contest with either Duke or another ACC team was supposed to be on the schedule but got pushed back a year due to venue availability (or something of that nature).

It's actually been nice for a change to not have to watch them slug it out every contest to start the season. Give the younger players time to adjust while not having to play Jaime and Cedes 40 minutes in every game. We have a 4 game stretch of games at A&M, at SC, at ND and then return home to face Miss State at one point. We face SC and A&M twice along with games at Kentucky and at Missouri. Both teams are not the cream of the crop but difficult road matches nonetheless.

With that said this is one of the weakest OOC schedule Tennessee has had.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The recent Tennessee and Mississippi State games got me thinking about teams that have played no true road games thus far in the OOC season. ("True road games" are played on the opponent's home court, as opposed to neutral-court games in places like Cancun.) They are two of only six teams for whom that is the case.

45. DePaul (6-3): 6 home games, 3 in Las Vegas. (But currently playing a true road game at Northwestern.)
Evanston is about a half hour from Chicago.

Reaction Score
..."True road games" are played on the opponent's home court, as opposed to neutral-court games in places like Cancun....
Does this mean that Notre Dame at UConn at the XL Center and Oklahoma at UConn at Mohegan Sun was, and will not be, true road games for them? Or are we considered to have three (or four, if we include Bridgeport) "home courts"?

Don't know for sure yet how the Oklahoma game will turn out for the Sooners, but I'm pretty sure ND felt like they were definitely on enemy hardwood. :eek: ;)

Reaction Score
Does this mean that Notre Dame at UConn at the XL Center and Oklahoma at UConn at Mohegan Sun was, and will not be, true road games for them? Or are we considered to have three (or four, if we include Bridgeport) "home courts"?

Don't know for sure yet how the Oklahoma game will turn out for the Sooners, but I'm pretty sure ND felt like they were definitely on enemy hardwood. :eek: ;)

The games played at the XL Center are considered home games, as well as those at Gampel. Mohegan Sun and Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, though in state, are not considered home sites.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm actually hoping UConn is the "visiting" team against Oklahoma. I have a seat near that bench!

Reaction Score
The games played at the XL Center are considered home games, as well as those at Gampel. Mohegan Sun and Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, though in state, are not considered home sites.
interesting. going to my first Mohegan Sun game Tuesday, but a number of Bridgeport games and, IIRC, there are UConn banners and UConn is considered something like "a host" (I can't remember the term, but it's displayed pretty prominently). So, hard not to see it somehow as a home court. OTOH, in the sectionals the team stays in a Bridgeport hotel (except for CD, who goes back home), so in that sense it is an away game.

Reaction Score
Isn’t a venue considered to be a “neutral” site if the ‘home’ team plays fewer than 3 games there?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I live 30 minutes from the Times Union Center in Albany which is, for all intents and purposes, another home arena for the Huskies when they play in the Regionals in March, just like 2015.

Reaction Score

Listed by current Massey ranking:
6. Mississippi State (9-0): 6 home games, 3 in Cancun.
9. Tennessee (10-0): 7 home games, 3 in Cancun.
89. North Carolina (8-2): 10 home games.
101. Kansas (8-1): 9 home games.
292. Coastal Carolina (5-4): 7 homes games, 2 in Daytona Beach.

Very interesting that Tennessee and Mississippi State are the only teams currently in the top 25 who have yet to step foot in an opponent's gym. We are already a third of the way through the regular season.

Not worried about MSU and their lack of travel games. They are for real with talent at guard and underneath plus a good coach.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
interesting. going to my first Mohegan Sun game Tuesday, but a number of Bridgeport games and, IIRC, there are UConn banners and UConn is considered something like "a host" (I can't remember the term, but it's displayed pretty prominently). So, hard not to see it somehow as a home court. OTOH, in the sectionals the team stays in a Bridgeport hotel (except for CD, who goes back home), so in that sense it is an away game.
I believe the Regionals were hosted by UBridgeport.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe the Regionals were hosted by UBridgeport.
Actually, I believe it’s Fairfield University, who plays their home games at Webster Bank Arena as part of the MAAC. UB is a D2 program

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom