Holly Tags One of their Own for Assistant C | The Boneyard

Holly Tags One of their Own for Assistant C

Reaction Score
Bridgette Gordon. Seems to have a knack for recruiting; don't see her as key to offensive development.

Bridgette Gordon Joins Lady Vol Staff

Key to Holly I expect is that she be a "loyalist".

I was ready to complain about "in breeding" --its bad for programs--but she has had experience at two other schools--depending on her expertise , she may be a great asset. I don't fault any manager/head coach for loyalty--to me--Loyalty begets loyalty. So far that has worked well for Geno. --
I also hope this give the Vols a kick in the pants and get them on track--great programs need to work at being great..

Reaction Score
We all love UConn Women's Basketball and our super team. If , however, we're also looking to see Women's College Basketball receive the recognition and praise it so clearly deserves, we should also be favoring the success of a mainstay such as the Lady Vols. Hopefully, Holly is pointed in the right direction!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
One of the best players ever at Tennessee. A tweet from another Tennessee player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I am sure that Gordon is a very good coach, my only thought is that Holly and all of her assistants are around 5o years of age or greater. Clearly, there have been some issues between players and the coaching staff. Holly might have considered adding a younger coach to her staff that has more in common with the players.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
While I am sure that Gordon is a very good coach, my only thought is that Holly and all of her assistants are around 5o years of age or greater. Clearly, there have been some issues between players and the coaching staff. Holly might have considered adding a younger coach to her staff that has more in common with the players.
I do understand your point. Let me point out that there are several coaches that are over 50.

Reaction Score
We all love UConn Women's Basketball and our super team. If , however, we're also looking to see Women's College Basketball receive the recognition and praise it so clearly deserves, we should also be favoring the success of a mainstay such as the Lady Vols. Hopefully, Holly is pointed in the right direction!
Sorry, it would not appear this is the case.

As to "favoring the success of....the Lady Vols," for me personally, "Burn in hell" better describes my sentiment. I would like to see a lot more teams get competitive, but LV isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
No attack Pride but this is not a difficult equation. All woman's basketball fans want to see the game progress, no rocket science here. What people have to realize is as great as Pat was and as mad as she was, she dropped the ball. This over the recruitment of one single player she pulled the plug on the rivalry that was building the sport.
If Holly is pointed in the right direction she will have UConn back on the schedule soon. ;)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sorry, it would not appear this is the case.

As to "favoring the success of....the Lady Vols," for me personally, "Burn in hell" better describes my sentiment. I would like to see a lot more teams get competitive, but LV isn't one of them.
I am perfectly happy for them to be "competitive" and for all the dumping on Holly and the truth that they are not up to previous standards - they pretty much are competitive by most standards.

In the Pat days I rooted for Tenn for many years, somewhat lessened after the Rutgers "clock-gate" game, but still rooted for good things for Pat. Now, I care no more about Tennessee than any other team not named Arizona or Rutgers, and less than some.

Reaction Score
Well that's not very nice.

Knoxville- - - -Neither was all the reporting to the NCAA BS that came from TN Administration & fans! The lies about Geno buying Maya Moore's Mom a home in CT and lending her $ to start her handbag business is lower than low! The lie that Maya was met at the airport on her visit to CT by DT and Sue B. and taken to a fancy restaurant before First Night! When both DT & Sue had their owner in Russia send a telegram to the NCAA that when they were supposed to be in CT with Maya they were in fact playing a game in Russia for his team!
That Maya chose Geno over Pat S. (why would Moore choose that Italian loudmouth over me, type of bitterness)!
My only hope is TN gives Holly Warlick a lifetime contract and TN never makes the FF again!
When asked about Holly asking Geno 2 years ago about rekindling the rivalry, Geno replied, "when the TN administration publicly apologizes to Maya Moore's Mom first, he'll start a discussion!
The slime from a bitter TN fan base that did and still surfaces denies understanding and forgetting from UCONN fans!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No attack Pride but this is not a difficult equation. All woman's basketball fans want to see the game progress, no rocket science here. What people have to realize is as great as Pat was and as mad as she was, she dropped the ball. This over the recruitment of one single player she pulled the plug on the rivalry that was building the sport.
If Holly is pointed in the right direction she will have UConn back on the schedule soon. ;)
Woof, Geno has been asked about this and basically his reply was "been there, done that, next..." I know I have no desire to see us schedule Tennessee. I am fine meeting them in the NCAA's however. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Knoxville- - - -Neither was all the reporting to the NCAA BS that came from TN Administration & fans! The lies about Geno buying Maya Moore's Mom a home in CT and lending her $ to start her handbag business is lower than low! The lie that Maya was met at the airport on her visit to CT by DT and Sue B. and taken to a fancy restaurant before First Night! When both DT & Sue had their owner in Russia send a telegram to the NCAA that when they were supposed to be in CT with Maya they were in fact playing a game in Russia for his team!
That Maya chose Geno over Pat S. (why would Moore choose that Italian loudmouth over me, type of bitterness)!
My only hope is TN gives Holly Warlick a lifetime contract and TN never makes the FF again!
When asked about Holly asking Geno 2 years ago about rekindling the rivalry, Geno replied, "when the TN administration publicly apologizes to Maya Moore's Mom first, he'll start a discussion!
The slime from a bitter TN fan base that did and still surfaces denies understanding and forgetting from UCONN fans!

Yes Sherm, good post..... have nothing against the Lady Vols.... except when their message boards start to heat up and especially around this Maya Moore/her mom/handbag thing.... Tenn fans equate the handbag thing with World War 3.... NCAA saw no violation..... but they are still beyond peeved over this down south.... Another over the top thing i saw there on their board the other day.... mention of Diana's run ins with the law.... I really think people's personal lives is (or should be) out of bounds..... I do not see mentions here, for instance, of Chamique Holdsclaw pulling a gun on someone.... (and I did not mention for the sake of mentioning... just to buttress the point) Message boards should be limited to basketball period....

Back to topic with the assistant coach thing, I think Tennessee has longed for a resurgence to bring back the old days.... and they have fallen back on pillows of history and the Pat era, the championships... etc... They really need to build their ship from square 1, with a new attitude.... and a new scheme.... no more "defense rebounding and effort" which is all i have seen from Holly these past few years.... I think TN needs to send CHW to summer camp to shadow the better coaches in the game, and find an offensive scheme.... it can't be just dribble the ball downcourt and pass in to Mercedes..... Any Tenn success will be organic, born from what they have now, with no tie to the past, despite Holly's trying to perfect that blueprint..... she had a good recruiting class this year, but I fear she will operationally misuse them.... I hope Gordon will push back against this, though there is a limit to one's influence in the position of assistant.

Reaction Score

Oldude --where do you come off--making sense in a senseless world??
Of course you are right in that a younger, much younger, assistant may relate easier to the players but look at Uconn Shea and Marisa are not spring chickens --and the players relate to them (or so it's reported)
There are 50's and there are fifties--some are open to all and all things--who knows?? You are rarely wrong--this could be a question for Holly to consider.
My take on Holly, and unlike you I am rarely right, is she needs someone who understands the NEW women's basketball and how to control players --I think she wants to be a friend, not a coach.
Also, heresy in Volnation, I think Holly overstayed her Peter Principle--time to hire Jen, Shea, Marisa, or Candy, someone with current WBB and knowledge of getting things done.

Reaction Score
Yes Sherm, good post.---. have nothing against the Lady Vols.--- except when their message boards start to heat up and especially around this Maya Moore/her mom/handbag thing.--- Tenn fans equate the handbag thing with World War 3.--- NCAA saw no violation.---. but they are still beyond peeved over this down south.--- Another over the top thing i saw there on their board the other day.--- mention of Diana's run ins with the law.--- I really think people's personal lives is (or should be) out of bounds.---. I do not see mentions here, for instance, of Chamique Holdsclaw pulling a gun on someone.--- (and I did not mention for the sake of mentioning... just to buttress the point) Message boards should be limited to basketball period.---

Back to topic with the assistant coach thing, I think Tennessee has longed for a resurgence to bring back the old days.--- and they have fallen back on pillows of history and the Pat era, the championships... etc... They really need to build their ship from square 1, with a new attitude.--- and a new scheme.--- no more "defense rebounding and effort" which is all i have seen from Holly these past few years.--- I think TN needs to send CHW to summer camp to shadow the better coaches in the game, and find an offensive scheme.--- it can't be just dribble the ball downcourt and pass in to Mercedes.---. Any Tenn success will be organic, born from what they have now, with no tie to the past, despite Holly's trying to perfect that blueprint.---. she had a good recruiting class this year, but I fear she will operationally misuse them.--- I hope Gordon will push back against this, though there is a limit to one's influence in the position of assistant.
I like your poetry--nice assembly of words.
I have not heard one person in Knoxville mention Maya--I make a number of trips to Knoxville and the area--seriously, maybe someone in Holly's camp or Admin remembers or old Vol fans--but believe this--most people --in the 400 sq mile area don't have a big interest in WBB.
Like us there are some rabid fans--.
Shadowing won't work--new blood of a top young coach from a great program would --Assistant from Nd, USC, Duke (yes duke) others could infuse the old mentality.
What has worked well for Geno is constant changing--constant beliefs

Reaction Score

I agree that IF TN Admin apologized publicly to Geno and Maya--that could end the Home an HOME--issue. Would it be great for WBB?? That remains to be seen.
But Both schools are stuck in bitter old thoughts of a long forgotten fleeting incident the rest of WBB wonder --WHAT?? When it's crazy head is raised--new WBB College fans may think --these crazy OLD people-whats the complaint ??

Reaction Score
I like your poetry--nice assembly of words.
I have not heard one person in Knoxville mention Maya--I make a number of trips to Knoxville and the area--seriously, maybe someone in Holly's camp or Admin remembers or old Vol fans--but believe this--most people --in the 400 sq mile area don't have a big interest in WBB.
Like us there are some rabid fans--.
Shadowing won't work--new blood of a top young coach from a great program would --Assistant from Nd, USC, Duke (yes duke) others could infuse the old mentality.
What has worked well for Geno is constant changing--constant beliefs

Oh yeah, the handbag issue still gets good press on TN message boards 10 years later.... as an occasional visitor to Knoxville, I agree with you..... nobody mentions these things when in person and enjoying LV basketball... and that is what I would expect.... Tenn has a great fan base.... and I meet them all the time frequently in cities other than Knoxville..... they should be proud of the fan base they have.

Yes on shadowing, I fully agree with you.... I try to understate things and be cordial.... truth is I do not believe in Holly at all... and never have... and as a former coach, I see clearly the mistakes she makes and shake my head.... even more stunningly, I hear the words which come from her mouth regarding not knowing how to fix things..... and i am amazed.... For someone going on 40 years in coaching it is amazing.... from my standpoint as National Flag Blue fan, I am happy with her having lifetime contract....

Still on shadowing..... one just needs to take look at Geno, who shadowed, read up on, and learned from several..... Popovich, Wooden, etc.... he didn't just morph into glory on the wings of fate,.... he learned from others.... i do not see Holly do that..... at a time when she desperately needs to show that she is in touch with todays game at least marginally......

I must confess I do feel badly for the good fans of Tenn, particularly the great ones who post here.... never have felt badly for Holly..... because she has chosen to stay and collect her 700 large.... largely undeserved..... "we just didn't seem to want it tonight..... we were quick shooting too much..... I can't coach effort..... we need to try harder" anyone can say that....

I have (almost) never seen an assistant overshadowing the success of the head coach (ala Buddy Ryan and Ditka) but for the sake of TN fans and their collective good mental health, I hope that Gordon is tuff as nails and starts to give the Lady Vols some proficiency in the coaching ranks....

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, the handbag issue still gets good press on TN message boards 10 years later.--- as an occasional visitor to Knoxville, I agree with you.---. nobody mentions these things when in person and enjoying LV basketball... and that is what I would expect.--- Tenn has a great fan base.--- and I meet them all the time frequently in cities other than Knoxville.---. they should be proud of the fan base they have.

Yes on shadowing, I fully agree with you.--- I try to understate things and be cordial.--- truth is I do not believe in Holly at all... and never have... and as a former coach, I see clearly the mistakes she makes and shake my head.--- even more stunningly, I hear the words which come from her mouth regarding not knowing how to fix things.---. and i am amazed.--- For someone going on 40 years in coaching it is amazing.--- from my standpoint as National Flag Blue fan, I am happy with her having lifetime contract.---

Still on shadowing.---. one just needs to take look at Geno, who shadowed, read up on, and learned from several.---. Popovich, Wooden, etc.--- he didn't just morph into glory on the wings of fate,---. he learned from others.--- i do not see Holly do that.---. at a time when she desperately needs to show that she is in touch with todays game at least marginally.

I must confess I do feel badly for the good fans of Tenn, particularly the great ones who post here.--- never have felt badly for Holly.---. because she has chosen to stay and collect her 700 large.--- largely undeserved.---. "we just didn't seem to want it tonight.---. we were quick shooting too much.---. I can't coach effort.---. we need to try harder" anyone can say that.---

I have (almost) never seen an assistant overshadowing the success of the head coach (ala Buddy Ryan and Ditka) but for the sake of TN fans and their collective good mental health, I hope that Gordon is tuff as nails and starts to give the Lady Vols some proficiency in the coaching ranks.---

Reaction Score
Woof, I totally agree with you that Pat made a serious mistake that ended-up overall hurting Women's College Basketball, but while we're visiting the past and Pat in particular, we might want also want to recall that it was the same Coach Summit who gave a budding Uconn team a chance to excel playing at our home court.... while others flatly turned us down refusing to play us . Like you, I wish the rivalry, she helped to start, would have continued ...and , at this time, begin again!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sure Geno watched and learned from many sources but to be a great coach, you need to have an innate ability to see and feel what should work as well as pressing all the right buttons to get his teams and top players as motivated and prepared as possible.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Back to topic with the assistant coach thing, I think Tennessee has longed for a resurgence to bring back the old days.--- and they have fallen back on pillows of history and the Pat era, the championships... etc... They really need to build their ship from square 1, with a new attitude.--- and a new scheme.--- no more "defense rebounding and effort" which is all i have seen from Holly these past few years.--- I think TN needs to send CHW to summer camp to shadow the better coaches in the game, and find an offensive scheme.--- it can't be just dribble the ball downcourt and pass in to Mercedes.---. Any Tenn success will be organic, born from what they have now, with no tie to the past, despite Holly's trying to perfect that blueprint.---. she had a good recruiting class this year, but I fear she will operationally misuse them.--- I hope Gordon will push back against this, though there is a limit to one's influence in the position of assistant.

You know what happens when you rest on your laurels? They wilt. Tenn has wilted and Holly is proof positive. Summer camp can't do it for Holly. She lacks both acumen and the ability to read, channel and grow player abilities, let alone mesh a whole bunch of them into a team playing 21st century basketball. As for in game adjustments, forget about it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom