Holdsclaw case settled | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Holdsclaw case settled

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
It is easy to judge when you have never had to deal with depression. Someone on here has a tag line of "I'll be ok if I take my meds," which makes mental illness seem like a bit of a joke, but clinical depression can ruin a person's life if not treated. I am diabetic and I take insulin to stay alive. I have depression and I do take my meds to survive and function as a rational (debatable) human being.

I decided once that I was tired of taking daily meds and went cold turkey off of my antidepressant. Thank goodness I had a friend who talked some sense into me after a week or I could have done something I would have regretted. Putting Holdsclaw in jail would have done nothing to help her. In my opinion it would have had the opposite effect and would probably have led to her permanent demise.

I"m the guy who has that tag line, and, it has nothing to do with mental illness: it is a direct quote,over breakfast one morning, from the woman in my life, who deals with rheumatoid arthritis, and a couple of other age-related illnesses. She has never tried to murder another human being, or set fire to them. Don't try to pull me, or her, into a defense of Holdsclaw's behavior. Holdsclaw needs help, but her medical issues do not completely exempt her from responsibility for her own actions. She is a very worldly, college-educated adult. A lot of the comentary in this thread is, basically, asking the question "did she get treated differently, because of her fame and athletic history?" I think that's a fair question.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
First, from reading the article, this was a plea deal. A lot of stuff going to be on her record, and the 3 years probation and other conditions are nothing to sneeze at. By which I mean, either she straightens up or she is going to be spending some jail time for violating her probation.

That the prosecution settled for a plea deal could (I suppose) be due to her fame, or could be due to the anticipated difficulties raised by her mental state that might have come up in trial. For her attorney, I assume the up side was this was the only way to ensure she didn't go to jail, as a jury conviction would almost have certainly resulted in jail time.

I do feel sorry for her. I do hope she recovers (and no, I don't think jail time would "help" her recovery). While I am not sure I think jail time as "punishment" solves anything in these types of cases, I do think institutionalization would have made sense. But I'm not the judge and don't know the details.

Reaction Score
I fully agree. I just wanted to be clear about what can be. Depression with disassociative fugue states can exempt you under the law, specifically, because of the inability to formulate intent since you likely are not even aware of who or where you are. Fortunately, they are very rare but can be related to cases of extreme depression.

If she has already been diagnosed with depression and fails to take prescribed meds, any type of pattern of doing so will defeat the depression defense. And while we are asking, if she's already been diagnosed as a nut without her meds, how is it that she has a concealed carry permit? Maybe we should pass a law about that -- oh geez, we already have about 100 times. Need to enforce it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If she has already been diagnosed with depression and fails to take prescribed meds, any type of pattern of doing so will defeat the depression defense. And while we are asking, if she's already been diagnosed as a nut without her meds, how is it that she has a concealed carry permit? Maybe we should pass a law about that -- oh geez, we already have about 100 times. Need to enforce it.
Your labeling those dealing with issues of mental health as "nuts" is offensive. Depression and mental issues are serious and a struggle for both the individual and their loved ones.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

The perfect button for this post...

images

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Why is everyone assuming that her behavior(s) were directly related to depression. Maybe Holdsclaw simply got into a tiff with her GF and she went ballistic. It happens all the time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
OMG, don't be so easily offended.
Sorry, but life is hard enough for people dealing with severe mental health issues they don't need folks adding ridicule without understanding.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
First, from reading the article, this was a plea deal. A lot of stuff going to be on her record, and the 3 years probation and other conditions are nothing to sneeze at. By which I mean, either she straightens up or she is going to be spending some jail time for violating her probation.

That the prosecution settled for a plea deal could (I suppose) be due to her fame, or could be due to the anticipated difficulties raised by her mental state that might have come up in trial. For her attorney, I assume the up side was this was the only way to ensure she didn't go to jail, as a jury conviction would almost have certainly resulted in jail time.

I do feel sorry for her. I do hope she recovers (and no, I don't think jail time would "help" her recovery). While I am not sure I think jail time as "punishment" solves anything in these types of cases, I do think institutionalization would have made sense. But I'm not the judge and don't know the details.

Jail time does solve something...it removes a clear and present danger from the streets before she really hurts or kills someone. Clearly her intention was to kill Lacy and in a horrific way. I'm saying regardless of her illness she is devoid of normal human compassion, she is a murder waiting to happen. Incarceration in a prison or in a mental institution was the way to go. 3 years probation for attempted murder is not the way our society works. If she is as ill as people say she is...how can we be sure that this result will be seen by her as an act of mercy? How can we be sure that she doesn't perceive this second chance as either a chance to clean up her act or a chance to get it right next time and really kill Lacy or someone else?

We are all judges when it comes to this type of behavior...we have been given the ability to discern right from wrong and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Chamiqua's behavior was aberrantly wrong. It is the duty of society to protect its citizenry from aberrant individuals and in this case it clearly failed to do so.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry, but life is hard enough for people dealing with severe mental health issues they don't need folks adding ridicule without understanding.
Irrelevant to whether it offends you or not.

And even if it does, man up a little.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Irrelevant to whether it offends you or not.

And even if it does, man up a little.

Not at all that is why it offends me. It is a complete disrespect of the ill in a manner thar further demeans their struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom