Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Why not just build the larger arena in the first place…

Reaction Score
a little dated but many naming opportunities went begging, Hockey Arena Campaign
I don’t believe the donation website has been updated in awhile per Mike Anthony’s article in the New Haven Register. “About half the cost of the arena is covered by donations. The other half will be covered by sale of revenue bonds and university funds.”

Reaction Score
More people needed to step up to the plate with $$donations$$. Buildings cost money. Bigger buildings cost more money
This. I’ve been told multiple times that this is reason why they didn’t build it bigger.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This. I’ve been told multiple times that this is reason why they didn’t build it bigger.
Sacred Heart built an arena for the same price, with almost 1000 more seats. And it’s arguably nicer.

Don’t throw the donors under the bus when the school can’t select proper contracts and companies to build an arena.

Reaction Score
Sacred Heart built an arena for the same price, with almost 1000 more seats. And it’s arguably nicer.

Don’t throw the donors under the bus when the school can’t select proper contracts and companies to build an arena.
Who is arguing that Sacred Heart’s is nicer?

Reaction Score
A couple things it appears they got right - the pitch of the seating bowl is excellent for hockey. From the pictures I've seen, one of the best in the country. Also, the first row of seating is at the top of the boards, instead of level with the ice. This means fewer seats that are obstructed by the glass and folks in the front rows have a better view. Front row seats at any hockey game are BAD, I don't get why folks pay hundreds for it, but that's for another thread.

Seems like they may have had some issues with ice quality last night, and probably will again tonight. That's fine! It's the most difficult thing to get right since you can't simulate how the facility will react with hundreds/thousands of people inside. It's fixable over time, and expected when you open a new facility.

Now, if they can just get rid of that ridiculous deck which causes obstructed view seats and reduces the student seats, add 1,000 more seats, and build a closer parking facility that the general public can use this will be a spectacular arena for the program and fans.

Reaction Score
Any chance they can knock down Freitas for more parking? Has that been discussed for off-season plans?
And agree about sitting close to the ice - it sucks. Kids love it though. Fortunately they elevated the rows which helps a lot. Stoked for tonight.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Any chance they can knock down Freitas for more parking? Has that been discussed for off-season plans?
And agree about sitting close to the ice - it sucks. Kids love it though. Fortunately they elevated the rows which helps a lot. Stoked for tonight.
Not sure that's necessary. There's so much space over there. I know part of the Tract back there is marshland and/or owned by the town which they may not let UConn use, but there must be a place to build a small garage. That, or they could take the plot(s) where the I-lots are now and turn those into multi-level garages.

Either way, making the general public park all the way over in South Garage is a pretty bad idea.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not sure that's necessary. There's so much space over there. I know part of the Tract back there is marshland and/or owned by the town which they may not let UConn use, but there must be a place to build a small garage. That, or they could take the plot(s) where the I-lots are now and turn those into multi-level garages.

Either way, making the general public park all the way over in South Garage is a pretty bad idea.
Pretty sure UConn owns half of the land begins Toscano.

Reaction Score

Everything can be fixed w/ money. Above ground pre-fab concrete parking garages run about $20,000 on average per parking space (caveat on state contracts/inflationary cost in this current environment can be a bit higher/lower).

I’m the mean time… an IceBus Express Shuttle is needed.

Reaction Score

Once again - SHU is lying about the capacity for the building. I suspect it's because they originally claimed it was going to have "nearly 4,000 capacity" for $60M (see below). Well, after the cost increases of the last few years they not only spent $10M-$15M more than originally estimated, but the building only has 2,900 seats. That's indisuputable because Ticketmaster published the detailed seating chart. Not only does the 2,900 include the club level upstairs, but it also includes what would ordinarily be the front SRO row on the concourse behind the railing, which they populated with (from pictures of last night's game) bar style hi-top chairs. The funny thing is that they claimed attendance was 4,103, even more than the original design plan, which would require 1,200 standing room. Quite simply, many announced attendance figures are pure BS. There's no way on God's Green Earth that concourse can accomodate (or a fire mashall would allow) that much standing room and, even if it did, no one wants to be in the 3rd or 4th row of SRO peeking over the shoulders of people on high-top chairs.

Incredibly, SHU even edited the original press release on their website (Sacred Heart University to Build Premier Hockey Arena at Its Fairfield Campus) to make it look like the original plan was for $70M (Sacred Heart University to Build Premier Hockey Arena at Its Fairfield Campus). Never trust anyone that doctors things after the fact.

Reaction Score
Now, if they can just get rid of that ridiculous deck which causes obstructed view seats and reduces the student seats, add 1,000 more seats, and build a closer parking facility that the general public can use this will be a spectacular arena for the program and fans.
The perfect use for the "Student Deck" (or at least some of it) is a bandstand for the pep band. I'm baffled by how many schools have some of all of the band playing into the glass. Put them above the glass projecting oown the rink and they'll help create a real college hockey environment.

As for parking, I can't see them building a parking garage for a dozen or so games per year. Having hiked from the lots on the far side of North Eagleville Rd. to Gampel on many occasions, is the South Garage to Toscano really any worse? I think a shuttle bus is the answer unless the university decides it needs another garage for remote student or staff parking and hockey fans will be an unintended beneficiary.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The perfect use for the "Student Deck" (or at least some of it) is a bandstand for the pep band. I'm baffled by how many schools have some of all of the band playing into the glass. Put them above the glass projecting oown the rink and they'll help create a real college hockey environment.

As for parking, I can't see them building a parking garage for a dozen or so games per year. Having hiked from the lots on the far side of North Eagleville Rd. to Gampel on many occasions, is the South Garage to Toscano really any worse? I think a shuttle bus is the answer unless the university decides it needs another garage for remote student or staff parking and hockey fans will be an unintended beneficiary.

Totally disagree with you on SHU lying about the number (schools lie all the time, but theirs absolutely has a larger capacity and was planned far better, many national articles on brand new sponsors they were able to activate for lounge areas as well).

Totally agree with you on bands playing into glass making no sense. Very good point.

Am told the student deck will be a much better setup next year. Complaints about how it is have even come from members of the coaching staff.

Finally, another case for the garage is that it isn’t just for hockey games, you could also use it for baseball/hockey/lacrosse/Freitas parking since it’d be closer to those facilities than the south garage.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

Sacred Heart had the Stanley Cup in the building Saturday night. Why could couldn't UConn pull that off? There are a couple of replicas, that's what they tote out for these showings, I know that because years ago it was in the street (literally on the street) at New Orleans Jazzfest, so I asked!

Reaction Score
Yeah the band taking up all the space behind the visiting goalie is such a waste. Get them out of there next year and let the students in.

Reaction Score
The band members are students.
I am aware. I’m talking students whose arms aren’t filled with instruments.
I’m not saying get rid of the band just move them or build some kind of construct similar to XL where they are above the students

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom