Hobbs replacement? | The Boneyard

Hobbs replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any one heard anything about who KO is bringing in to take Hobbs place?

Reaction Score
Oz mentioned them being interested in adding a recruiter. No specific names linked to us yet though.

Reaction Score
people keep saying "big man coach" like the rest of the staff just looks at anybody over 6'6" and goes "Can't help you, because you are too big."
Well I think the issue is more about finding a coach who is more capable of developing the bigs

Reaction Score
Well I think the issue is more about finding a coach who is more capable of developing the bigs

Or is it finding bigs who are capable? I don't think we can honestly evaluate this group and be fair to the staff. Enoch's improvement over the next 2 may tell you more but using Facey and Brimah as barometers is unfair to any staff.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Or is it finding bigs who are capable? I don't think we can honestly evaluate this group and be fair to the staff. Enoch's improvement over the next 2 may tell you more but using Facey and Brimah as barometers is unfair to any staff.
The training of bigs by s and c might have to be reconsidered as well. I think Ollie referred to the lack of strength after the Kansas defeat.

Reaction Score
people keep saying "big man coach" like the rest of the staff just looks at anybody over 6'6" and goes "Can't help you, because you are too big."
So you're saying that our previous point guards are the ones with deep knowledge on post moves and footwork ? The only one on the staff with any kind of experience there would be Freeman and he was never the type of power forward you looked at and said, "Now there's how to post up and use good footwork to score in the paint". That's just not how he scored, most of the time.

COULD they be effective at providing that kind of coaching ? Yes, it's possible. Is it likely ? I'm not buying that entirely.

Reaction Score
I would b surprised if it's not KF. That's been KO's M.O. since he's been here. I love KO and agree with 95% of what he does, but this isn't one of them. I do love KF and am ok with it, would just like to see us go after.

Traits:
Offensive-minded assistant
Recruting ties to AAU programs, esp. Northeast/NY/NJ/PA

Reaction Score
I would b surprised if it's not KF. That's been KO's M.O. since he's been here. I love KO and agree with 95% of what he does, but this isn't one of them. I do love KF and am ok with it, would just like to see us go after.

Traits:
Offensive-minded assistant
Recruting ties to AAU programs, esp. Northeast/NY/NJ/PA

Oz suggested it probably won't be Freeman and Ollie is probably going to look outside the uconn family to find a replacement with recruiting ties.

Also said if it's not filled by summer Freeman will move over a seat on the bench

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd kind of like to see someone from outside of the program. It's helpful to have multiple perspectives and avoid group-think. Ideally, that someone wouldn't be a point guard either, and would be able to bring a front court player's mentality.

I think it is overly simplistic to say we need a "big man coach". But I do think we need a wider spectrum of ideas and approaches, especially on offense.

Reaction Score
Oz mentioned them being interested in adding a recruiter. No specific names linked to us yet though.
Oz suggested it probably won't be Freeman and Ollie is probably going to look outside the uconn family to find a replacement with recruiting ties.

Also said if it's not filled by summer Freeman will move over a seat on the bench

Where are you guys seeing this? I've seen quite the opposite. A clown over on the other board claimed to have sources saying we're looking for a recruiter from outside the family. This idea is not crazy but the messenger has no credibility. Look through his history. He's very similar to a certain poster on this board. Anyway, Ozzie did not confirm this idea rather he seemed quite sceptical.

Reaction Score
Where are you guys seeing this? I've seen quite the opposite. A clown over on the other board claimed to have sources saying we're looking for a recruiter from outside the family. This idea is not crazy but the messenger has no credibility. Look through his history. He's very similar to a certain poster on this board. Anyway, Ozzie did not confirm this idea rather he seemed quite sceptical.
Prob skimmed the other board too fast then.

I saw Maligi (who played a key role in SMUs violations) just got hired by TAMU. Crazy how these guys seem to never leave CBB no matter how bad they screw up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The training of bigs by s and c might have to be reconsidered as well. I think Ollie referred to the lack of strength after the Kansas defeat.

Those guys are just flat out bigger and better guys. They had legit 40 year olds on the front line.

I took Ollie's comment as more of "we need to get bigger dudes". Hopefully Enoch goes that way.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So you're saying that our previous point guards are the ones with deep knowledge on post moves and footwork ? The only one on the staff with any kind of experience there would be Freeman and he was never the type of power forward you looked at and said, "Now there's how to post up and use good footwork to score in the paint". That's just not how he scored, most of the time.

COULD they be effective at providing that kind of coaching ? Yes, it's possible. Is it likely ? I'm not buying that entirely.

People (absurdly) think Clyde was the best big man coach ever. And he was a small forward.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Prob skimmed the other board too fast then.

I saw Maligi (who played a key role in SMUs violations) just got hired by TAMU. Crazy how these guys seem to never leave CBB no matter how bad they screw up.

It's cause they get players by any means necessary. For schools with lesser programs, it's worth the risk. It's damn hard to compete against the big boys (hell, even mids), and They've got nothing to lose.

Reaction Score
People (absurdly) think Clyde was the best big man coach ever. And he was a small forward.
I recall he was an undersized forward that did actually have post moves when he was with Pitt. Led the conference in scoring his final year with 9 boards per game at 6'4". Just sayin'

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And those players were taken because of the impacts of apr, JC's illness and age and then his departure. I'm with you in a Big way pun intended. It's far too premature (pun intended) to ejaculate the failure of this group given these circumstances. For years fans claimed JC couldn't get a center. They based their point of view on past events. He proved them wrong. This is just another scenario where people might be overstating things based on their needs for immediate results.

And every time @Chief00 pops up with Clyde I keep thinking I'm entering a p/rn thread and he's making a reference to male anatomy. Your avatar doesn't hurt either.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I recall he was an undersized forward that did actually have post moves when he was with Pitt. Led the conference in scoring his final year with 9 boards per game at 6'4". Just sayin'

That's fine.

It's not about size or position. It's only if you can break the game/position down, communicate your knowledge to the kids, and get them to buy in.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Which poster did it sound like?

C

Chief00

True Clyde was 6-5 or so but he was definitely a Big. He was a load to handle down low. He could create space with his butt and hips.

As far as recruiting - he was the guy JC would joke - that he would take him to the worse projects to recruit. Clyde had street creed -no doubt about it !

Reaction Score
True Clyde was 6-5 or so but he was definitely a Big. He was a load to handle down low. He could create space with his butt and hips.

As far as recruiting - he was the guy JC would joke - that he would take him to the worse projects to recruit. Clyde had street creed -no doubt about it !
Sounds like Clyde had Chief cred which is all I need to know!

Reaction Score
He lacks experience, but I think he would be ok on recruiting visits.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS