Hmmmmm. Check this tweet out. (Merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hmmmmm. Check this tweet out. (Merged)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think that is a pretty realistic assessment. No savior, and her prospects for playing time beyond this year would be bleak. In a way she might be like a one year rental or insurance policy. That is very hard to recruit for. Imagine trying to recruit a player for that role on very short notice, being honest with her that she might not have a very big role this year, and may want to transfer after this year, and by the way you only have a few days to decide. Having said that I think Geno could recruit an insurance policy and be honest with the expected role this year and in the future.
I'm not in favor of this approach or that mind set. My approach would be to bring in the most talented guard available without compromising the standards of the program. If there is no guard available that going to be able to play at UCONN level then go without one. I'm 98.75% certain this is what Geno will not do. That 1.5 % uncertainty is mainly about Geno bringing in Autumn Chaisson and Piath Gabriel in the same class.
Worrying about playing time next year is counter productive considering we don't know how well Paige is going to heal or even if she will return. We also don't know how the incoming freshman guards are going to perform. Then there is the possibility of an outbound guard ....(this is a subject we are not allowed to speculate about).

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
FWIW, Nika and Ice started following Ines Bettencourt on Instagram sometime in the last 24 hours. So that makes five players and Morgan Valley.

(Also posted this on the August recruiting thread.)

Reaction Score
FWIW, Nika and Ice started following Ines Bettencourt on Instagram sometime in the last 24 hours. So that makes five players and Morgan Valley.

(Also posted this on the August recruiting thread.)

So, will it be today? We shall see.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, if Ines does show up at UConn at the 11th hour, I sure hope she brings along a big box of pastel de nata pastries..:)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Kinda feels like popping a balloon at the ‘ole Walgreens/Kreskes lunch counter for the .01 cent banana split.
Possible?
Yup.
Happen?
Nope.
wrong chicken GIF by happydog

Reaction Score
Not to pour more cold water on this subject :rolleyes:, it should be pointed out that freshman “move in” day at UConn is tomorrow. Classes start on Monday. Does anyone really believe that Ines Bettencourt, or any other recruit will announce their decision to attend UConn one day before they are supposed to be on campus?:oops:
Apparently, yes, they will announce their decision to attend UConn the day they are supposed to be on campus. Yay!!!!!

Reaction Score
Think this. When Sabrina Ionescu enrolled at Oregon at the last minute, the Ducks took off. Let us pray

Reaction Score
No. But who knows maybe they can get me in court and get a psychobabblelist to say I quoted it from my sub-conscious mind. However they better not get too deep. There's a lot of bad things going on in there I better not discuss here!!! :):):):) j/k.

Btw, Great great greet great movie.

Reaction Score
OK, I’ll keep hope alive. But let’s all be realistic about Ines Bettencourt, should she end up at UConn. From the limited amount of film I watched, it’s clear that Ines is a nice player who would have a lot of work to do to to become a regular rotation player at UConn. She would immediately provide needed depth at guard for practice & mop-up minutes. But it would be unrealistic to expect Ines to earn PT minutes as a freshman, except in an emergency situation.

After her freshman year, UConn stands to lose Lou at guard, but would be adding Paige, KK and Ashlynn to a guard corps of Azzi, Nika & Caroline. So I really don’t see a lot of PT for Ines going forward. With that in mind, I have to ask how hard Geno and his staff would recruit a European player who is likely to be viewed primarily as an insurance policy?
But don't most of us (perhaps nearly all of us) have insurance on things ... with the hope to not have to use it (life insurance, car insurance, home insurance).???

Video shows Ines to have some useful skills that could be good insurance for UCONN... especially given the injuries of last season.

Reaction Score
But don't most of us (perhaps nearly all of us) have insurance on things ... with the hope to not have to use it (life insurance, car insurance, home insurance).???

Video shows Ines to have some useful skills that could be good insurance for UCONN... especially given the injuries of last season.
From Ines’ point of view, she gets a free classroom education and comes out of UCONN in 4(?) years with a Doctorate in woman’s basketball.
She can return to Europe (if it works and she chooses) a much better player than when she left.
Lotta hard work involved, but could be a big win for her.
I like her courage for taking this shot.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Does anybody know what happened to her JuCo commitment? In other words, can a JuCo player switch to a D1 school with no consequences?
I apologize if this was answered somewhere in the previous 90+ posts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does anybody know what happened to her JuCo commitment? In other words, can a JuCo player switch to a D1 school with no consequences?
I apologize if this was answered somewhere in the previous 90+ posts.
There are a lot of variables which would change the answer to your question. The largest variable is if Ines had actually signed a JUCO NLI. Assuming she signed NLI the next variables would involving her obtaining a release for the NLI followed by her receiving a transfer wavier-which literally depends on her intended destination. Stupid but true: a JUCO can release you from your NLI but not grant you a transfer waiver. If I had to guess Ines either never signed an NLI or was released from her NLI & granted the ability to transfer. Actually her never signing the JUCO letter makes the most sense because I don't see her being referred to as a transfer anywhere.
Since her intended destination in this case is UCONN (Division 1) her next step would be to submit to the NCAA Eligibility clearing house. Part of the NCAA clearing house process is to determine that the Athlete attempting to enter Division I or II has no obligation like a signed NLI with another academic institution. For foreign players the NCAA eligibility center also certifies required academics (SAT,ACTs), English speaking adequacy. For foreign players that participated in "club" teams like Ines the center will also certify that the salaries and compensation from those clubs were limited to reasonable expense in order for the prospect to maintain "amateur" status. Once the prospect clears the NCAA clearing house is when that UCONN can formally offer her a scholarship. The speed at which things happened is yet another reason for me to believe that Ines never signed her NLI with that JUCO in Florida.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom