Hmmmmm. Check this tweet out. (Merged) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hmmmmm. Check this tweet out. (Merged)

Reaction Score
Via Europe? Some of the Eastern European countries have players that have experience in lower pro leagues, would gain from US college and english language experience, and not have the immediate need to start.

In the case of bringing in a European, it would have to be someone who has been interested in coming to play in the U.S. for a while. To play, the athlete must have already passed the SAT (or ACT) and likely have filled out all the forms (and translations) that must go to the NCAA.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
1661378502483.png

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I don’t think so. However I’m walking on to the LA Rams. Is that’s how it’s done? The player makes the announcement, not the team or school? There have been no walk on announcements so far.
My mother used to say that she got into Harvard. She went down to Cambridge, saw an open door and walked right in.

Reaction Score
With the low number of scholarship players on the roster I'm inclined to believe the report about a late signing and I'll say that
Ines Bettencourt makes sense. Doesn't matter to me where she comes from, I trust the the abiliity of the staff to evaluate.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not to pour more cold water on this subject :rolleyes:, it should be pointed out that freshman “move in” day at UConn is tomorrow. Classes start on Monday. Does anyone really believe that Ines Bettencourt, or any other recruit will announce their decision to attend UConn one day before they are supposed to be on campus?:oops:

Reaction Score
Not to pour more cold water on this subject :rolleyes:, it should be pointed out that freshman “move in” day at UConn is tomorrow. Classes start on Monday. Does anyone really believe that Ines Bettencourt, or any other recruit will announce their decision to attend UConn one day before they are supposed to be on campus?:oops:
Yes, someone believes. Not sure who.

Reaction Score

Somewhere in this thread or the recruiting thread, someone said they have up to 12 days after to enroll. But I don't know. I'm not expecting anyone else to sign for 2022

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Somewhere in this thread or the recruiting thread, someone said they have up to 12 days after to enroll. But I don't know. I'm not expecting anyone else to sign for 2022
I’m sure that’s true. But why would someone wait to start the fall semester?

Reaction Score
Maybe the commit has already committed but doesn’t need a public announcement! Well hopefully anyway lol!!!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Embassies and admissions don't work on Boneyard time. If there is someone coming, it might not be that they want to wait, but rather they are waiting for other pieces to fall into place.

Reaction Score
They wouldn't want to, but may have to be a little late. If Uconn made an offer a few days or a week ago and the player was interested, I don't think that means they hop on the next flight out and everything is fine. There are probably many life changings things that need to be done in short order, some of which could have bureaucratic delays that may be unavoidable.

Reaction Score
Embassies and admissions don't work on Boneyard time. If there is someone coming, it might not be that they want to wait, but rather they are waiting for other pieces to fall into place.
Definitely agree with this! I feel we have someone and are just waiting for the logistics to work itself out.

Reaction Score
Kinda feels like popping a balloon at the ‘ole Walgreens/Kreskes lunch counter for the .01 cent banana split.
Possible?
Yup.
Happen?
Nope.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, I’ll keep hope alive. But let’s all be realistic about Ines Bettencourt, should she end up at UConn. From the limited amount of film I watched, it’s clear that Ines is a nice player who would have a lot of work to do to to become a regular rotation player at UConn. She would immediately provide needed depth at guard for practice & mop-up minutes. But it would be unrealistic to expect Ines to earn PT minutes as a freshman, except in an emergency situation.

After her freshman year, UConn stands to lose Lou at guard, but would be adding Paige, KK and Ashlynn to a guard corps of Azzi, Nika & Caroline. So I really don’t see a lot of PT for Ines going forward. With that in mind, I have to ask how hard Geno and his staff would recruit a European player who is likely to be viewed primarily as an insurance policy?

Reaction Score
Kinda feels like popping a balloon at the ‘ole Walgreens/Kreskes lunch counter for the .01 cent banana split.
Possible?
Yup.
Happen?
Nope.
Now that was fun!

Reaction Score
OK, I’ll keep hope alive. But let’s all be realistic about Ines Bettencourt, should she end up at UConn. From the limited amount of film I watched, it’s clear that Ines is a nice player who would have a lot of work to do to to become a regular rotation player at UConn. She would immediately provide needed depth at guard for practice & mop-up minutes. But it would be unrealistic to expect Ines to earn PT minutes as a freshman, except in an emergency situation.

After her freshman year, UConn stands to lose Lou at guard, but would be adding Paige, KK and Ashlynn to a guard corps of Azzi, Nika & Caroline. So I really don’t see a lot of PT for Ines going forward. With that in mind, I have to ask how hard Geno and his staff would recruit a European player who is likely to be viewed primarily as an insurance policy?
I think that is a pretty realistic assessment. No savior, and her prospects for playing time beyond this year would be bleak. In a way she might be like a one year rental or insurance policy. That is very hard to recruit for. Imagine trying to recruit a player for that role on very short notice, being honest with her that she might not have a very big role this year, and may want to transfer after this year, and by the way you only have a few days to decide. Having said that I think Geno could recruit an insurance policy and be honest with the expected role this year and in the future.

Even if we are healthy at guard, I think a 5th player will get some minutes at guard, because a rotation of 4 players for 3 positions is so hard to manage. That could be Ines or another last second recruit, or it could be a more talented player playing out of position like Aubrey or Ayanna. That might be the real strategic tradeoff, a talented PF vs. a more mediocre natural guard.

If I was completely confident in Aubrey or Ayanna at guard I wouldn't be that worried, but since I'm not quite there yet (but could be) for me an emergency is an injury to any one of the four guards. If say Aubrey proves effective in that role, then an emergency might be injuries to two guards at the same time. I want to see Aubrey or Ayanna succeed in that role regardless of if we get guard help or not, and each day that passes decreases the probability of pulling a rabbit out of the hat.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Aubrey as a guard? Ayanna as a guard? Don't see it in their UConn careers. Guard a guard...yes...
especially Ayanna...hoped for with Aubrey with good health. I'm hoping for serious rebounding on O and D...put backs galore...run outs for easy lay-ups...develop a consistent mid-range face-up...provide energy whenever in the line-up...be good secondary ball-handlers against the best presses we will face. That's enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom