OT: - Hillsman to coach in Spain. Or, upon reflection, maybe not | The Boneyard

OT: Hillsman to coach in Spain. Or, upon reflection, maybe not

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Turns out the Spainish organization was blind sided by the Syracuse investigation and they were not pleased. Tsk tsk Q.

Reaction Score
How exactly is one blindsided here?
Have they never interviewed anyone for a job? Ever?

Q1: Mr Hillsman it’s great to have your interest in our opening! But why are you available? Why are you not at your old job?

[google search]

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wonder how they could have been (blindsided). It was all over the net - all they had to do was look. Seems like some poor due diligence on the part of the Spanish team...
They admitted they rushed the process. Maybe they knew but hoped their fans would give the decision a pass.

Reaction Score
They admitted they rushed the process. Maybe they knew but hoped their fans would give the decision a pass.
I recall there being a comment in their press release that the club has worked with the agent (or agency) that represents Hillsman. They may have gone on faith based on their previous business dealings.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Maybe the Spanish to English Google translation app was broken or their network was spotty and they misinterpreted the 100+ results on Hillsman and basketball...
Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

Reaction Score
Many years ago, I took two years of Spanish in high school. Most of it has been forgotten, but I still retain a little. Albondigas in la biblioteca, "Meatballs in the library", is a favorite.

I personally would rather try and decipher something Hillsman says in Spanish, no matter how mashed up it may be, than try to figure out what he's saying in English. I've watched and listened to him in front of the camera, and I can't imagine what it must be like in the locker room.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Still wondering if we understand the full story. A few years ago, Hillsman was receiving kudos for doing well in the NCAA's, then following that up with one of the best recruiting classes in school history. Seems odd that he went from being a positive PR machine to unemployeed so quickly. Today's recruits are able to invest in multiple sources of due diligence, competitive coaches often spread rumors, and the press prints any type of click bait they can find. Was this story out there and everyone just missed it?

Reaction Score
Still wondering if we understand the full story. A few years ago, Hillsman was receiving kudos for doing well in the NCAA's, then following that up with one of the best recruiting classes in school history. Seems odd that he went from being a positive PR machine to unemployeed so quickly. Today's recruits are able to invest in multiple sources of due diligence, competitive coaches often spread rumors, and the press prints any type of click bait they can find. Was this story out there and everyone just missed it?

I don't know if we'll ever understand the full story, however based on the information the school has gathered through their own independent investigation, there's validity to the claims. Also, I'm not sure how coaches would be spreading rumours through practice players and managers that Hillsman personally selects each season. A fair portion of the reports came from the team he assembled.

The investigation also confirmed that administration staff outside of their women's basketball program failed in their roles. It's looking more like Syracuse has several issues as an athletic department as a whole. From what I've gleaned from the Syracuse fan site, they're not happy with their AD and this coach drama isn't the only one from recent memory. Several programs have had their issues over the last few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom