Hijacking Kibitzer's ponderings on Gabby | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hijacking Kibitzer's ponderings on Gabby

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about the point of this thread.
1. It's a UConn topic that I don't think has been discussed before.
2. It's on-topic and sometimes there aren't enough of those threads around in the off-season.
3. Sometimes these types of threads jog someone's memory into remembering something else they had wanted to discuss but forgot because they'd been distracted by the Olympics, PHS's passing, etc.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think Gabby could be an elite PG in college or the pros, but she can be an elite shooting guard/wing in the pros if she can extend her range (and her confidence) to the arc and she can be am elite forward in college, but is too short even with her leaping ability to be an elite forward in the pros.
As a freshman she was great on her numerous shots inside, as a sophomore she developed confidence in her 15' jumper and hit a high percentage, if she can extend that further in her next two years she will be really dangerous.
She has been one of the better interior passers since she arrived - Kiah scored about half her baskets it seemed off Gabby's assists during her freshman year. And her ability to hit 'layups' from very odd angles and from significant distance is very impressive - her sense of angles off the backboard is as good as anyone not named Diana or Maya (and maybe Stewart)

It will be exciting to see what develops over the next two years.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
confidence... one of the most loosely used words in CBB

its not confidence for Gabby... its if GENO wants her shooting it, everyone can jack up 3's with no problem but you'll be in the doghouse if its not part of the game plan

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's the video I'm familiar with. I'm really not seeing anything there that screams elite translatable PG skill. It's easy to look good at almost any position in HS when you're playing against people who are both physically inferior and have mediocre basketball skill. And I love Gabby as a basketball player; she's been one of my favorites on the team from the start.

Coming into college, she was what she was. Going into the future, she will be what she wants to be, provided she integrates new skills into her game well.

She, also, had lost two years of development to injury coming into college. She would very possible be an excellent PG today without that interruption. But today is today and she is now a different player.

Reaction Score
She, also, had lost two years of development to injury coming into college. She would very possible be an excellent PG today without that interruption. But today is today and she is now a different player.

Yep, you never know what she might have been like without that big loss in development time. I suspect that at the very least she would have entered college with a usable jump shot (something that took another year to get back) and an even more versatile handle.

It's a testament to her potential that she was still so useful as a freshman, against most teams.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Let's go to the video tape. In this tape you will see a young Gabby with elite PG skills-ball handling,passing in transition, initiating the offense in the half court set. She did not play the position by default! she played it with great skill.

The video clearly shows that Gabby can play PG. What it does not show us is whether or not she could be an effective PG for Geno.

Reaction Score
Gabby won't be taking a lot of 3s this year. They'll need her rebounding more than taking 3s. Next year with Azura and Batouly, UConn will have more size, and Gabby will be able to step outside and take 3s.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Until Little Miss Danger is ready to take over the reins I think Gabby will see significant time in the back court. Also if Saniya doesn't show injury free progress alongside Kia Gabby will then see major time there.

Because Gabby has played so well in the front court, we keep forgetting that Gabby was recruited as a GUARD. She has latent guard skills. She's going to be a starter this fall. Where she's going to start we don't know yet. The staff will groom (and teach) her to play where ever they need her to. Gabby will do well where ever they put her. Gabby has been brought along slowly. She's been waiting off stage for two years. Now it's her turn. As Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond in the 1950's movie Sunset Boulevard said:, Mr. Demille, "I'm ready for my close up". :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS