Hijacking Kibitzer's ponderings on Gabby | The Boneyard

Hijacking Kibitzer's ponderings on Gabby

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In another thread, Kib posited that Gabby might be considered a potential three point shooter in the upcoming seasons. IMO, this is a very logical progression for her. At her size, she's most likely be a wing in the W (if that's her goal) so she needs to have the ability to play on the perimeter nailed down in the next couple years. Of course, Swin didn't take many threes at UConn and she became much more prolific as a pro but Geno had a couple of decent perimeter players on the roster at the time, LOL, so he didn't need Swin shooting threes. But to get back on topic, yeah, I think Gabby will be taking more threes in the future.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
HS Gabby was not only an adequate 3Pt shooter but also a nightmare PG. UCONN Gabby has been relegated to post offensively and done well as a high percentage shooter and high volume rebounder. Defensively she has been outstanding perimeter defender. WNBA Gabby will have to be closer to HS Gabby to be successful. She is certainly capable of being a better 3Pt shooter but in the next 2 years the essential skill will be comfort with the ball in her hands on the wing . In the WNBA , at her size, Gabby must be able to beat that first defender one on one regardless of how good a 3Pt shooter she is. This ability accounts for the difference between Tiffany Mitchell's success so far and KML struggles in the WNBA. Unfortunately Gabby is needed in the post again this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby did a nice job as a post newbie her freshman year. Last year, she added a nice 12-16' jumper and improved her FT shooting by almost 30 percentage points. I agree that the 3-point shot is a natural progression. We know that she has a strong work ethic and a desire to both contribute and be great. I look forward to seeing her game evolve. She gets off the floor faster than any woman I've seen.

I'm thankful she is not going to Rio for the high jump.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Don't forget, Gabby was also a high jumper in high school, so she's use to clearing tall barriers that are in front of her. When she runs, she runs exactly like most high jumpers do as they approach the bar. Gabby has been progressing each year under Geno and staff. Think back to her freshman year, and look at her now. I agree with other posters who will not be surprised to see Gabby given the green light to take some 3's during a game this year. The fact she was recruited as a guard has been lost because of her use (and success in playing) in the front court her first two years. Remember, most guards can shoot the 3.

No doubt Gabby has been shooting the 3 for years. She just hasn't gotten the green light to do so yet at UConn. This may change come November. Gabby will be a starter this year and next, and a integral part of the team's overall success. Because all five starters will be capable scorers, it will be interesting to see the "pecking order" that Geno will use. That is the frequency that each player has plays run for them. Last year's order: Stewie then Tuck then Lou then Moriah and and Nurse. Mo and Kia were facilitators. They would shoot if the play broke down, or if the clock was running down and they had the ball. Most plays were designed to go to the other 3. When subs came in, same thing. They were facilitators. Plays were not run for them. This is the year I think we'll get to see Gabby's complete arsenal. I predict she will amaze. The cream usually rises to the top. Yes, UConn lost three great All-Americans to graduation, but the cupboard is not bare. I see some great things coming from this team this year. I predict this team will fare much better than some folks think.

Note: as I was composing this thought, Milford and Coco posted their comments ahead of mine. I wrote this BEFORE I read their take, which says basically the same thing, which goes to prove that great minds think alike.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
GEICO SportsNite: Geno Auriemma

Note Geno's comments about the emerging stories from the young guys that might have been bottled up last year because of the Big 3. There is no longer a need to defer to the player with the 7'2" wingspan, because she has moved on and is now torching the WNBA. The younger players likely will have some missteps, but I look forward to seeing them step up. However, I agree with Geno when he says he wishes that Azura and Batouly could play this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Note Geno's comments about the emerging stories from the young guys that might have been bottled up last year because of the Big 3. There is no longer a need to defer to the player with the 7'2" wingspan, because she has moved on and is now torching the WNBA. The younger players likely will have some missteps, but I look forward to seeing them step up. However, I agree with Geno when he says he wishes that Azura and Batouly could play this year.

Ya Think?!!!! If those two could play, THAT would scare the hell out of their opponents on this year's schedule. :eek:

The response of most of UConn's opponents this year if those two could play................Ahhh damn! Head bang

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In another thread, Kib posited that Gabby might be considered a potential three point shooter in the upcoming seasons. IMO, this is a very logical progression for her. At her size, she's most likely be a wing in the W (if that's her goal) so she needs to have the ability to play on the perimeter nailed down in the next couple years. Of course, Swin didn't take many threes at UConn and she became much more prolific as a pro but Geno had a couple of decent perimeter players on the roster at the time, LOL, so he didn't need Swin shooting threes. But to get back on topic, yeah, I think Gabby will be taking more threes in the future.

Last year she hit a few 3's. I think she was a bit shy of pushing them ups with all the 3 ball talent she played with. I doubt she shall be shy of hoisting them this coming season. This may be her "break thru" (if it could be called that) season, I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!

Reaction Score

So who is Justine Ward? Is she the new SNY UCONN point?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
HS Gabby was not only an adequate 3Pt shooter but also a nightmare PG. UCONN Gabby has been relegated to post offensively and done well as a high percentage shooter and high volume rebounder. Defensively she has been outstanding perimeter defender. WNBA Gabby will have to be closer to HS Gabby to be successful. She is certainly capable of being a better 3Pt shooter but in the next 2 years the essential skill will be comfort with the ball in her hands on the wing . In the WNBA , at her size, Gabby must be able to beat that first defender one on one regardless of how good a 3Pt shooter she is. This ability accounts for the difference between Tiffany Mitchell's success so far and KML struggles in the WNBA. Unfortunately Gabby is needed in the post again this year.
Until Little Miss Danger is ready to take over the reins I think Gabby will see significant time in the back court. Also if Saniya doesn't show injury free progress alongside Kia Gabby will then see major time there.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think once again Gabby will expand her game, slowly. The comfort level will come with each game. She is a tremendous athlete with unbelievable talent. She will be the new nightmare for many teams.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Last year she hit a few 3's. I think she was a bit shy of pushing them ups with all the 3 ball talent she played with. I doubt she shall be shy of hoisting them this coming season. This may be her "break thru" (if it could be called that) season, I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!
Gabby has taken only one three point attempt at UConn and it was in her freshman year. Gabby's bio, stats at the bottom

Maybe you're thinking of Napheesa?

Reaction Score
Gabby has taken only one three point attempt at UConn and it was in her freshman year. Gabby's bio, stats at the bottom

Maybe you're thinking of Napheesa?

Napheesa has made a few--and unless I carefully look at numbers they have similar body styles--I didn't check the stats--just watched the Miss St game (3rd qtr) again it could be. I don't really care, hopefully both, (rephrase) all will make them consistently--I'll bet many nickles on Gabby making 3's

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Gabby did a nice job as a post newbie her freshman year. Last year, she added a nice 12-16' jumper and improved her FT shooting by almost 30 percentage points. I agree that the 3-point shot is a natural progression. We know that she has a strong work ethic and a desire to both contribute and be great. I look forward to seeing her game evolve. She gets off the floor faster than any woman I've seen.

I'm thankful she is not going to Rio for the high jump.

Her quickness off the floor actually reminds me a lot of Nneka Ogwumike's. Some of her rebounds are just explosive.

Reaction Score

From the limited highlights I've seen, plus comments I recall Geno making years ago, she was a "point guard by default" - which is a bit different from having point guard ability that immediately translates to the next level.

In other words, she was her HS team's point guard because she was bigger, faster, and stronger than any other relevant candidates, and could simply jump over any pesky defenders. :D Being a point guard meant that she took the ball up the floor (against inferior HS defenders), perhaps drove to the hoop (against inferior HS defenders), or maybe took some outside shots at decent, if not stellar percentages.

But she has been doing the right thing, in extending her range further and further each season in college, along with defending more guards, and being positioned a bit more like a guard on offense. Getting it to the 3 point line this season would help UConn mightily, and help her career post-UConn. I don't see her as a WNBA point guard, but she will want to have sufficient skill to be a 2 or undersized 3 at that level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From the limited highlights I've seen, plus comments I recall Geno making years ago, she was a "point guard by default" - which is a bit different from having point guard ability that immediately translates to the next level.

In other words, she was her HS team's point guard because she was bigger, faster, and stronger than any other relevant candidates, and could simply jump over any pesky defenders. :D Being a point guard meant that she took the ball up the floor (against inferior HS defenders), perhaps drove to the hoop (against inferior HS defenders), or maybe took some outside shots at decent, if not stellar percentages.

But she has been doing the right thing, in extending her range further and further each season in college, along with defending more guards, and being positioned a bit more like a guard on offense. Getting it to the 3 point line this season would help UConn mightily, and help her career post-UConn. I don't see her as a WNBA point guard, but she will want to have sufficient skill to be a 2 or undersized 3 at that level.
Let's go to the video tape. In this tape you will see a young Gabby with elite PG skills-ball handling,passing in transition, initiating the offense in the half court set. She did not play the position by default! she played it with great skill.

Reaction Score
Let's go to the video tape. In this tape you will see a young Gabby with elite PG skills-ball handling,passing in transition, initiating the offense in the half court set. She did not play the position by default! she played it with great skill.

That's the video I'm familiar with. I'm really not seeing anything there that screams elite translatable PG skill. It's easy to look good at almost any position in HS when you're playing against people who are both physically inferior and have mediocre basketball skill. And I love Gabby as a basketball player; she's been one of my favorites on the team from the start.

Coming into college, she was what she was. Going into the future, she will be what she wants to be, provided she integrates new skills into her game well.

Reaction Score
I think Geno will keep Gabby at a 4 or SF as she creates match-ups that are nightmares for opponents!
Why screw-up a really good thing? The team doesn't need her at a G they need her rebounding and scoring off of reb. and adding 12' to 15' with an occasional 3 thrown in! They lost 2 talented bigs and have enough G's to play this year, they're light at F.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Napheesa has made a few--and unless I carefully look at numbers they have similar body styles--I didn't check the stats--just watched the Miss St game (3rd qtr) again it could be. I don't really care, hopefully both, (rephrase) all will make them consistently--I'll bet many nickles on Gabby making 3's
GOOD! FT SHOT by Stewart, Breanna 03:52 76-16 H 60 FOUL by Okorie, Chinwe (P3T3)
GOOD! FT SHOT by Stewart, Breanna 03:52 77-16 H 61
SUB IN : Butler, Natalie 03:52 SUB IN : Williams, Sherise
SUB IN : Tuck, Morgan 03:52 SUB OUT: Okorie, Chinwe
SUB OUT: Jefferson, Moriah 03:52
SUB OUT: Stewart, Breanna 03:52
03:37 TURNOVR by Richardson, Breanna
GOOD! JUMPER by Williams, Gabby [PNT] 03:20 79-16 H 63

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2015-2016/032616.html

Gabby, Collier nor Nurse (who some get confused with Gabby) made a 3 pointer... boxscore provided as evidence due to the testimony you provided (Miss St. game, 3rd quarter)

$_35.JPG

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's the video I'm familiar with. I'm really not seeing anything there that screams elite translatable PG skill. It's easy to look good at almost any position in HS when you're playing against people who are both physically inferior and have mediocre basketball skill. And I love Gabby as a basketball player; she's been one of my favorites on the team from the start.

Coming into college, she was what she was. Going into the future, she will be what she wants to be, provided she integrates new skills into her game well.
Another Point of View:

"I have Gabby Williams as my No. 2 player in the country, and I know that doesn't really mean anything. A'ja Wilson is really good, but Gabby could have been No. 1 if she had not hurt her knee (an ACL tear in her right knee suffered last January). She is so athletic and there's nothing she can't do. She can play positions 1-4. I saw her numerous times that she'd get the ball and four dribbles she'd weave through traffic and finger-roll it into the basket. She's just phenomenal."
Brett McCormick
Recruiting heats up for Huskies this summer

Reaction Score
Another Point of View:

"I have Gabby Williams as my No. 2 player in the country, and I know that doesn't really mean anything. A'ja Wilson is really good, but Gabby could have been No. 1 if she had not hurt her knee (an ACL tear in her right knee suffered last January). She is so athletic and there's nothing she can't do. She can play positions 1-4. I saw her numerous times that she'd get the ball and four dribbles she'd weave through traffic and finger-roll it into the basket. She's just phenomenal."
Brett McCormick
Recruiting heats up for Huskies this summer

Recruiting gurus say lots of things. In that article he also said that A'ja Wilson "can play any position she wants." Bless him. :D

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Recruiting gurus say lots of things. In that article he also said that A'ja Wilson "can play any position she wants." Bless him. :D

"Courtney Ekmark is the glue kid... ." Unfortunately, the her glue recently ceased to adhere at UConn.:(

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about the point of this thread. If it's to say that Gabby can shoot beyond 15 ft, well, sure, the video proves it. All she needs is increasing confidence, which she is gaining, to take the shot in a game. But if the point is to say that Gabby can be a consistent 3 point shooter, I don't know how that can even be projected until she begins shooting. Because it's not just the confidence; it's the entire mentality. In shooting the 3, sometimes it's instinctive and the body is in motion, but usually, it's the quiet body, the pure stroke, the cold calculated sense of the assassin. That's what makes the 3 (only 1 more point than the 2) so effective: it's psychological warfare as much as arithmetic advantage. It's saying, okay, if you want to cheat on my drive by giving me a little room outside, you are going to really pay for that. Does Gabby have that particular type of killer instinct? we don't know yet.

I do think that both Gabby and Napheesa will be developing a more complete offensive game: more outside shooting off screens and more drives off picks. That's because the entire offensive burden will be more equitably distributed and there will need to be even greater flow. But Kia's 3 pointer is more advanced and likely to remain so (Kia's problem is finishing underneath). So, with Kia, Lou, and Saniya/Crystal bombing from outside, UConn should have that pretty much covered. Meanwhile, underneath, we still don't know about Butler's efficacy and Lou's ability on the boards remains to be proven, as does Kyla's. That leaves Napheesa and Gabby to be paying special attention to the boards and posing underneath threat. I think until consistent offensive rebounding and the muscle points get established, Gabby won't often be going too far out from the basket. She loves the contact and the quick scoring opportunities too much; she's just too good at that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Yep.
Nope.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You may need some glasses (or new ones). Williams and Collier really look nothing alike body type wise. Maybe you are thinking Nurse and Williams. They have somewhat similar body types. But they move very differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom