Highlights v. Houston | The Boneyard

Highlights v. Houston

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Have to admit, after the Grimes miss with ~16 secs left, in a 2-possession game, I was surprised Sampson didn't have his guys ready to foul, especially if Vital was not the ball handler (Bouk got the rebound). 16 seconds is enough time to jack at least 3 treys and hope for the best.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have to admit, after the Grimes miss with ~16 secs left, in a 2-possession game, I was surprised Sampson didn't have his guys ready to foul, especially if Vital was not the ball handler (Bouk got the rebound). 16 seconds is enough time to jack at least 3 treys and hope for the best.

Yeah, thought there was one more foul to be had there.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is going to be awesome. Only seeing glimpses now but it’s coming out more and more.
I'm really bullish on him and the team next season. If you just look at his #'s for the season, they look bad but if you focus on the way he's playing the last month you can tell he's going to be a stud. He's already our most poised guy. He gets the ball to the right people in the right spots, he doesn't get flustered, and he's starting to show more and more flashes of his athleticism. There's a reason we had Gaffney inbounding the ball every time to close out that game, and he got it to the right guy (CV) every single time.

Reaction Score
lol calvin sampson giving the fist pound at the end
Houston board freaking out that Sampson gave Hurley a weak fist bump because he must not like him. I guess they never heard of coronavirus.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm really bullish on him and the team next season. If you just look at his #'s for the season, they look bad but if you focus on the way he's playing the last month you can tell he's going to be a stud. He's already our most poised guy. He gets the ball to the right people in the right spots, he doesn't get flustered, and he's starting to show more and more flashes of his athleticism. There's a reason we had Gaffney inbounding the ball every time to close out that game, and he got it to the right guy (CV) every single time.

He is still a tad tentative but I think he has tons of room for growth. Am I wrong in remembering he was known as a shooter in high school?

Reaction Score
After watching the full replay:

- For all the flack that AAC refs deservedly get, I thought this crew was very solid. Were there a few bad calls? Sure but none I would consider egregiously bad and I thought they were very consistent in their calls, especially with respect to freedom of movement.

-That leads me to the FT differential. Obviously a chunk of that is due to CVs 8 attempts at the end of the game, but it’s amazing how much Houston settles for mid to long range jumpers. Grimes particularly just refused to play through contact at the basket, even when he had a big size advantage (at one point he had Al one on one with no one else around and just pulled it out). Their size and length would lead you to assume they’re a team that takes it to the hoop and gets out in transition but that is just not the case at all.

- Watching the replay, UConn was a far more disciplined defensive team. They played tight defense without fouling and that just wasn’t the case for Houston. Hurley has done a great job of making sure guys go straight up and don’t overcommit on defense.

Reaction Score
After watching the full replay:

- For all the flack that AAC refs deservedly get, I thought this crew was very solid. Were there a few bad calls? Sure but none I would consider egregiously bad and I thought they were very consistent in their calls, especially with respect to freedom of movement.

The missed goaltend call at 9:40 in the 1st half was egregious

Reaction Score
It was. I think one of the beat writers tweeted that the league has suggested that teams don't shake hands for the remainder of the season. Seems kinda silly given all the physical contact on the court, but whatever.
They announced it during the game at Gampel too that there wouldn't be an end of game handshake line per request of the AAC.

Reaction Score
Houston board freaking out that Sampson gave Hurley a weak fist bump because he must not like him. I guess they never heard of coronavirus.

Houston and Rhode Island played a home and home when Hurley was there, in part because of the coaches‘ relationship. People are dumb.

I don’t know who UConn will have to play from the AAC in the future, but they could certainly do much worse than Houston.

Reaction Score
Houston and Rhode Island played a home and home when Hurley was there, in part because of the coaches‘ relationship. People are dumb.

I don’t know who UConn will have to play from the AAC in the future, but they could certainly do much worse than Houston.
Yeah I wouldn't mind them continuing a series with Houston-Sampson is doing great things with that program and they won't decline anytime soon. Memphis and Cincinnati are the other two from the American that I would like a continuing series with as well. Anyone else from the American, no disrespect to them, just doesn't move the needle.

C

Chief00

Houston, SMU, WSU, Memphis and Cincy are all good future opponents. The AAC has done good programs.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I remember when this board was so ready for this kid to transfer before the season started.

Where are these posters now?
Situations evolve, man. You never had a bad take?

Reaction Score
The missed goaltend call at 9:40 in the 1st half was egregious
Agreed that was the worst but they evened it out with giving Gaffney the bucket on his and-1 later in the game where he clearly took an extra step.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom