Highlights from Summer workouts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Highlights from Summer workouts

Reaction Score
A lot to get excited about in that clip, especially Akok, Samson, and the overall team energy. Samson had a nice 'blow by' drive to the hoop. Then I noticed it was Polley he left in the dust. We need Polley to play better defense to be able to keep him on the court for his shot. Of all the highlights to tout Samson, the choice was made to include a drive which also highlights Polley's matador defense when he closes out on a guy, and the guy drives all the way to the rim with Polley trailing. Please make him better. Please give me only positive highlights so my hopes are not grounded in reality.

You’re really breaking down a ten second hype video?

Reaction Score
These short hype videos are like recruiting videos highlighting only the made shots and fancy moves. Like a resume' without consecutive dates of employment. Or, like a preview of a movie or like a 30 second clip of a 3 minute song.

But, a ten minute video with a player scoring off tough defenders and switching on defense and boxing out... that is another story.

If those 10 seconds represent a full scrimmage, then a lot to like.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Guys look good. Akok flashing some of the form that makes he think he could be the best player on this roster next year. But no matter how you look at it, lots of pieces for the staff to work with. There is much to be excited about.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
A lot to get excited about in that clip, especially Akok, Samson, and the overall team energy. Samson had a nice 'blow by' drive to the hoop. Then I noticed it was Polley he left in the dust. We need Polley to play better defense to be able to keep him on the court for his shot. Of all the highlights to tout Samson, the choice was made to include a drive which also highlights Polley's matador defense when he closes out on a guy, and the guy drives all the way to the rim with Polley trailing. Please make him better. Please give me only positive highlights so my hopes are not grounded in reality.
Tbh, I don’t see where Polly gets pt on this roster. If he is I don’t think that’s good news for where we are as a team.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He gets PT as the best shooter on the team and being 6'9 and the Big East 6th man of the year.
Over who? Whaley? Akok? Martin? AJax? That’s his direct competition for minutes at the 3 and 4. Not even including Johnson who if he’s knocking down outside shots can play the 4 too probably.

Reaction Score
Over who? Whaley? Akok? Martin? AJax? That’s his direct competition for minutes at the 3 and 4. Not even including Johnson who if he’s knocking down outside shots can play the 4 too probably.
He's the best shooter on a team that sorely lacks shooting. It's hard to see any scenario where he's not getting 15 minutes a game at a minimum just because he's needed to put everyone else in a better position to play their best basketball. There's enough minutes at the 3/4

Reaction Score
I'm hardly in the #daggertreyty camp, but if you don't see how a 6'9 40% 3 point shooter doesn't get PT, I'm not if you understand the game of basketball. His defense is going to determine whether that's 10 minutes a game or 25, but he's playing.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
None of those guys can shoot it like Polley though. He's obviously limited in other aspects of his game but he is far and away the best shooter on this team, and we don't have many shooters.

Reaction Score
I'm hardly in the #daggertreyty camp, but if you don't see how a 6'9 40% 3 point shooter doesn't get PT, I'm not if you understand the game of basketball. His defense is going to determine whether that's 10 minutes a game or 25, but he's playing.

The anti-Polley stuff from certain corners just doesn't seem serious. The "Martin shoots it just as well as Polley" is probably the most ridiculous.

From the above video I would assume Tyrese Martin is out of the rotation because I didn't see him make a single damn play in that clip.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
The anti-Polley stuff from certain corners just doesn't seem serious. The "Martin shoots it just as well as Polley" is probably the most ridiculous.

From the above video I would assume Tyrese Martin is out of the rotation because I didn't see him make a single damn play in that clip.
I also took away that Sanogo is a defensive liability and will be on the bench behind Samson.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm not against Polley getting minutes over Tyrese if he doesn't improve. But if Akok is back in a serious way I can't see him getting many minutes at the 4. I understand he's a shooter but he literally does nothing else for us on the floor to the point where if his shot isn't falling, he's a liability. And that was the case in more games than it should have been. There's too much talent this year for him to not consistently be a great shooter.

Reaction Score
I'm not against Polley getting minutes over Tyrese if he doesn't improve. But if Akok is back in a serious way I can't see him getting many minutes at the 4. I understand he's a shooter but he literally does nothing else for us on the floor to the point where if his shot isn't falling, he's a liability. And that was the case in more games than it should have been. There's too much talent this year for him to not consistently be a great shooter.

Polley averaged like 15 mpg last season. If he's hot you keep him in, if not you bench him. Not a big deal either way. I don't see him stealing minutes. 15 mins is fair

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Polley averaged like 15 mpg last season. If he's hot you keep him in, if not you bench him. Not a big deal either way. I don't see him stealing minutes. 15 mins is fair

Agreed, he will play, how much is up to him and the competition. I'm sure I'm one BigErn called out as anti Polley. As for shooting, his 2pt % was abysmal last year, so his overall FG% was worse than Martin's. He doesn't do much around the rim, whether scoring, rebounding or defense. He's a poor ball handler for a wing, and not a good passer. If he changes that, great. I'd love to see it. If not, he's a one trick pony. "We need shooters" is a lazy take. A team of 5 Martins would destroy 5 Polleys. We need basketball players. Yes, it would be nice if our basketball players shot better from outside.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He gets PT as the best shooter on the team and being 6'9 and the Big East 6th man of the year.
I truly hope Polley sees PT but that will mean he has improved because the team as a whole appears to be more physical and of a higher talent level
All those except the 6"9" very well could be a was
His D is lazy and non existent at best 95% of the time
Time will tell - he is a true Husky - that you can't argue

Reaction Score
Agreed, he will play, how much is up to him and the competition. I'm sure I'm one BigErn called out as anti Polley. As for shooting, his 2pt % was abysmal last year, so his overall FG% was worse than Martin's. He doesn't do much around the rim, whether scoring, rebounding or defense. He's a poor ball handler for a wing, and not a good passer. If he changes that, great. I'd love to see it. If not, he's a one trick pony. "We need shooters" is a lazy take. A team of 5 Martins would destroy 5 Polleys. We need basketball players. Yes, it would be nice if our basketball players shot better from outside.

EFG% and TS% are much better stats. Overall FG% is practically meaningless. Polley was slightly better than Rese by these measures. Defense and Rebounds are what got (and probably will continue to) get Rese more minutes.

Reaction Score
Would like to think that a fifth-year player would be "smelling the coffee" on things he needs to do to impact a game to stay on the floor. And yes.. Good shooters are always welcome. Gotta have an impact on the other end of the floor.

I can guarantee you that the Young Bucks DH has recruited will take any minutes they can get to show their stuff.

Competition for minutes can only make this roster better. Actions speak louder than words.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This x1000. Hope Akok and Hawkins can shoot well enough to the point where if all Polley could do is shoot, we don’t need that on the floor. Akok was looking damn good in that short highlight clip.

Reaction Score
Polley is literally in the middle of what both arguments for/against him are.
He’s a good shooter, not a great one, on a team that needs shooting.
He’s not Duncan Robinson (like proposed) and he’s not trash like others say.

Reaction Score
If Akok is doing that in games he’s our best player. Period.

I've been fighting the urge to post this same thing after reacting to a summer hype video...

But I agree, if he's back healthy and confident. The only thing I could think was what's the probability Akok could be our best player?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom