OT: - High Speed Rail Through Storrs? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: High Speed Rail Through Storrs?

Reaction Score

Article says the high speed rail would take 100 minutes to go from NYC to Boston, with stops in Hartford, Storrs, and Providence. This would be possibly the wisest decision the university could make it they can help pull this off. Being 50 minutes from NYC or Boston by train to Storrs would be one of the best recruiting angles we have.

Also, us Hartford county folks only a 50 minute train ride from the Big East Tournament? Yes please

h/t @Storrs South

Good luck with that....many of you were not here when I-84 was proposed and designed to go from Hartford, thru Manchester and Willimantic to Providence in the mid-70s. I worked on the route thru Willimantic as the contractor's project engineer. The route was stopped cold in its tracks going east of Willimantic due to opposition from the farming communities to the east and because of "environmental" concerns. That was then when the environmental standards were less severe than they are today and I suspect that there would be similar opposition from the communities to the east as there was then. Getting thru the Environmental Impact Study phase will take years at a snail's pace.

Note that I support such an endeavor, but the obstacles will be monumental and so would the cost.

Reaction Score
Stamford, Bridgport, New Haven, and Providence (all of RI) have no chance of out-lobbying the Storrs delegate.
There is no chance this happens.

Reaction Score
we need a stop in Fairfield count, maybe Danbury
How would you get to Danbury when Weston and Wilton stopped construction of a new Rte 7 route from Norwalk to Danbury? They certainly would not agree to this, AND, then you need to get from Danbury to Waterbury to Hartford!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Jealous of the students who will get to use this.
Could you imagine that train going into NYC for the BET? Now, can you imagine it coming back?

Now think about how easy recruiting becomes when you can tell NYC guards that it's just a 50 minute ride for their parents to come up and see games. It would totally under cut the UConn is nice but out in the sticks argument.

That said...
no way laughing GIF by Angie Tribeca

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Coming from a railroad family, Grandfather, Father, Brother and Uncle they are all smiling from heaven!! At one time if you took the NY, NH and Hartford train from Danbury to NYC my Grandfather was the engineer, my Uncle was the conductor and my Father was the trainman! I love trains and I think this would be a financial boon to the Northeast.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good luck with that....many of you were not here when I-84 was proposed and designed to go from Hartford, thru Manchester and Willimantic to Providence in the mid-70s. I worked on the route thru Willimantic as the contractor's project engineer. The route was stopped cold in its tracks going east of Willimantic due to opposition from the farming communities to the east and because of "environmental" concerns. That was then when the environmental standards were less severe than they are today and I suspect that there would be similar opposition from the communities to the east as there was then. Getting thru the Environmental Impact Study phase will take years at a snail's pace.

Note that I support such an endeavor, but the obstacles will be monumental and so would the cost.

I think you mean I-384. Which was a drag strip (and we used it as one) highway to nowhere when I was growing up in Manchester. Ran from one end of the town to the other. Hadn’t been connected to 84 yet. It was supposed to follow most of what is now RT 6 from the Bolton/ Manchester line through Willimantic to Providence. It would have helped both cities, and certainly Willimantic.

Reaction Score
I am all for this and would probably use it multiple times a month. NYC-Hartford-Providence-Boston in less than 2 hours would be fantastic. Unfortunately, the more stops like Storrs or Danbury, the less likely it would actually happen.

Still a 30 minute bus ride to Hartford then a 50 minute ride to NYC or Boston is fantastic. Boston would be roughly the same as driving but ideal for people wanting to go in for an evening and enjoy a few drinks.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hows aboot we finish rt 11? it's only been close to 3/4's of a century... it's the red line on the map:
CT-11_map.png

'The Route 11 extension has been a political football for politicians and town officials alike since its inception in 1953. Since then, millions in taxpayer dollars have been spent on numerous studies, preliminary engineering and contractual/Department of Transportation (DOT) activities, trying to complete the vision of G. Albert Hill, Connecticut’s State Highway Commissioner in 1953'
Connecticut’s Road to Nowhere: A History of Route 11 | Yankee Institute for Public Policy

Reaction Score
Coming from a railroad family, Grandfather, Father, Brother and Uncle they are all smiling from heaven!! At one time if you took the NY, NH and Hartford train from Danbury to NYC my Grandfather was the engineer, my Uncle was the conductor and my Father was the trainman! I love trains and I think this would be a financial boon to the Northeast.
Being from Danbury I took that train many times in the 60s and early 70s.... Having to xfer in Norwalk to NYC... In later years I would drive to Brewster and take the train into NYC from there

Reaction Score
I think you mean I-384. Which was a drag strip (and we used it as one) highway to nowhere when I was growing up in Manchester. Ran from one end of the town to the other. Hadn’t been connected to 84 yet. It was supposed to follow most of what is now RT 6 from the Bolton/ Manchester line through Willimantic to Providence. It would have helped both cities, and certainly Willimantic.
It all was I-84 when it was built and then when the extension to Providence was squashed they renamed it I-384

Reaction Score
It all was I-84 when it was built and then when the extension to Providence was squashed they renamed it I-384
Wasn't that when they renamed what was once I-84 to I-86 and then back again to I-84? I remember getting on the drag strip now known as I-384 from Silver Lane. I was driving over a 100 miles an hour and hit a bird in mid air. I heard a thud and when I got home I saw the poor bird stuck in my grill.

Another problem with rail transit is that they converted past rail lines to bike paths and other linear parks. When I moved to central Florida I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Virgin Trains/Brightline is building a rail line from Orlando (along Beachline Expressway) connecting to the existing tracks on the Florida East Coast Railroad near Cocoa. This will make train trips possible from Orlando east and south to a recently opened West Palm Beach station and beyond. I am not sure if this will be a good option for me since they have not decided if they will build a train station in Cocoa. The price tag is close to $2 billion.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that when they renamed what was once I-84 to I-86 and then back again to I-84? I remember getting on the drag strip now known as I-384 from Silver Lane. I was driving over a 100 miles an hour and hit a bird in mid air. I heard a thud and when I got home I saw the poor bird stuck in my grill.

Another problem with rail transit is that they converted past rail lines to bike paths and other linear parks. When I moved to central Florida I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Virgin Trains/Brightline is building a rail line from Orlando (along Beachline Expressway) connecting to the existing tracks on the Florida East Coast Railroad near Cocoa. This will make train trips possible from Orlando east and south to a recently opened West Palm Beach station and beyond. I am not sure if this will be a good option for me since they have not decided if they will build a train station in Cocoa. The price tag is close to $2 billion.
Exactly! And yes, the cost of building new rail lines is generally pretty damn high! It was the same thing with the Transcontinental Railroad. A great book to read about that is "Nothing Like It in the World" by Stephen Ambrose. Not his best written book, but it's full of amazing details on how that was constructed in only 4 years without the use of heavy machinery or power tools from 1865 to 1869..

Reaction Score
You are going to have to take homes to do this project in the CT corridor. The thing I am surprised at is there are no windmills in Storrs on campus which is a very windy place as well as very little solar on campus to help save money on utilities. There are windmills in Providence harbor and just west of I-295. We are way behind in CT.

Reaction Score
Exactly! And yes, the cost of building new rail lines is generally pretty damn high! It was the same thing with the Transcontinental Railroad. A great book to read about that is "Nothing Like It in the World" by Stephen Ambrose. Not his best written book, but it's full of amazing details on how that was constructed in only 4 years without the use of heavy machinery or power tools from 1865 to 1869..
I agree on the cost factor. The Brightline is expensive and they had most of the right of way already. They bought a portion of land just south of the Beachline Expressway from the very large Deseret ranch. They are spending a lot of money on improving rail crossings and bridges and building a tunnel.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

We hit 105 in my friends 65 Thunderbird and then the first hood latch popped open. Not good. He slammed on those old drum brakes. Manchester in the early 80s was muscle car city. Sadly my 1970 Cutlass Convertible with a Hurst 3 speed never really got a good run on that stretch.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
To who?
The millions of people that live in megalopolis, the majority of which will want to get to DC, Philly, NYC or Boston quickly.

We can print bumper stickers and get a web site - but I do not think Tolland/Storrs will be a top 25 stops.

Reaction Score
hows aboot we finish rt 11? it's only been close to 3/4's of a century... it's the red line on the map:
CT-11_map.png

'The Route 11 extension has been a political football for politicians and town officials alike since its inception in 1953. Since then, millions in taxpayer dollars have been spent on numerous studies, preliminary engineering and contractual/Department of Transportation (DOT) activities, trying to complete the vision of G. Albert Hill, Connecticut’s State Highway Commissioner in 1953'
Connecticut’s Road to Nowhere: A History of Route 11 | Yankee Institute for Public Policy
Finishing Route 11 would be a waste at this point imo. They should take the speed limit off and give CT an autobahn, just to see what would happen

Reaction Score

Article says the high speed rail would take 100 minutes to go from NYC to Boston, with stops in Hartford, Storrs, and Providence. This would be possibly the wisest decision the university could make it they can help pull this off. Being 50 minutes from NYC or Boston by train to Storrs would be one of the best recruiting angles we have.

Also, us Hartford county folks only a 50 minute train ride from the Big East Tournament? Yes please

h/t @Storrs South

Oh man, I thought this thread was about cocaine...this is much better! ;)

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

yes, question the project engineer - great idea!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
yes, question the project engineer - great idea!

Except that that validates everything I said. The numbering is a quibble either way, because what is 84 was renamed 86 then back to 84. The only piece of the proposed 84 that became part of the interstate highway system is 384. I admit I had forgotten the 84 to 86 and back to 84 name changes.

Reaction Score
Might be a good idea in theory, but no chance this gets off the ground, it will be both costly and controversial. Even minor transportation Capital projects take years - planning, design, permitting, funding, construction. Throw a tunnel under LIS and include years of litigation to that as well.

Connecticut needs to focus on existing infrastructure before we plan for anything else. Problem is nobody wants to pay for it and if there is a way, nobody wants any changes in their backyard.

The Land of Steady Habits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom