OT: - High Speed Rail Through Storrs? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: High Speed Rail Through Storrs?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
As someone that lives 1/3 mile from metro north and has a nyc commuter hh and occasionally takes a amtrack from Stamford to points south I can tell you with great confidence that trains are a wonderful mode of transportation but even with the greatest train network one could devise for America they will never be more than a mode for commuting to work and the very occasional leisure trip. Why? Because taking a family on a train is damn expensive and nothing in America that you really care to see is built within walking distance of train stations at the destination. I’ve tried to use the train for non work commuting and it just sucks and it’s expensive. Especially when taking the family along.

Other nations have great rail because;
1) Landowners have fewer rights and their governments took property needed to make straight lines to make efficient rail. Must have straight lines or nothing of value is achieved. Curvy lines with trains topping out at 80 does nothing. Need straight lines and speeds well over 140 to create real time benefit. This will never happen on the eastern seaboard or near coast areas without a serious change in attitudes about development.
2) They have older cities that maintained great central density. Lots of stuff of use is located within a 30 min walk in their cities. While we have been trying harder to accomplish the same here, it still stands that so much of great use is just not near rail.
3) The most overlooked reason rail works in other counties better is so simple. American cities tend to have plenty of parking, European and Japanese cities do not. When you increase the cost and reduce the availability of parking it’s amazing how quickly you start thinking about that rail option.

I’m very interested to see us improve the existing Boston to DC rail corridor. Unfortunately I am afraid we have already spent our capital as a society of other stuff- what that is IDK- just looking at our widening national deficit.

There just isn’t the real political will to actually execute an emanate domain program that necessary to make the straight lines (think about the disparate impact and environment impact arguments alone which would take decades to play out in court). And if there ever is such a will they will start with NYC to DC because it impacts more people and more states (ie Senators).

Lastly, we have to see what travel habits become post COVid. Rail ridership is off something like 90% on the Metronorth. It seems COVid helped accelerate two existing trends, the demise of street retail and the demise of the central office. I see a lot of urban professionals dropping their commutes forever with zoom. I see a lot of others moving to a 3 days in office, 2 days from home routine. We shall see. Of course rail has long term benefits that will never cease as people will always travel, but the near term decline of commuting will serve to undermine the economics and that is meaningful to the discussion.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think you mean I-384. Which was a drag strip (and we used it as one) highway to nowhere when I was growing up in Manchester. Ran from one end of the town to the other. Hadn’t been connected to 84 yet. It was supposed to follow most of what is now RT 6 from the Bolton/ Manchester line through Willimantic to Providence. It would have helped both cities, and certainly Willimantic.
I love how when you got on 384 by the old East Hartford Cinema the sign says “to Providence” like ok buddy

Reaction Score
Good luck with that....many of you were not here when I-84 was proposed and designed to go from Hartford, thru Manchester and Willimantic to Providence in the mid-70s. I worked on the route thru Willimantic as the contractor's project engineer. The route was stopped cold in its tracks going east of Willimantic due to opposition from the farming communities to the east and because of "environmental" concerns. That was then when the environmental standards were less severe than they are today and I suspect that there would be similar opposition from the communities to the east as there was then. Getting thru the Environmental Impact Study phase will take years at a snail's pace.

Note that I support such an endeavor, but the obstacles will be monumental and so would the cost.

That opposition was from RI, who didn’t want it going through the lakes/reservoirs just across the border. When it became clear that the route would not happen, what is now 384 was hastily terminated at Bolton Notch.

It is incredible to me that there is no highway from Hartford to Providence.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That opposition was from RI, who didn’t want it going through the lakes/reservoirs just across the border. When it became clear that the route would not happen, what is now 384 was hastily terminated at Bolton Notch.

What is the route from central CT to Providence? Just putter along Rt 6? Go up to Worcester and down 395? Rt 44? Go down the shore to 95?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What is the route from central CT to Providence? Just putter along Rt 6? Go up to Worcester and down 395? Rt 44? Go down the shore to 95?

Yes, it sucks. I decided to go that way when we visited UConn in fall 2019. Just miserable. Rt. 6 is an awful road east of 295. Hilly and riddled with potholes. Quite a few lights, and people stopping to turn left. I won’t likely go that way again. It would have been a very useful road. Somehow they managed to build 395 from Worcester to New London, but they couldn’t do Hartford to Providence?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yes, it sucks. I decided to go that way when we visited UConn in fall 2019. Just miserable. Rt. 6 is an awful road east of 295. Hilly and riddled with potholes. Quite a few lights, and people stopping to turn left. I won’t likely go that way again. It would have been a very useful road. Somehow they managed to build 395 from Worcester to New London, but they couldn’t do Hartford to Providence?
We took the 44 Rt from Storrs to visit a friend who was at Bryant. It was the longest drive of my life.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We took the 44 Rt from Storrs to visit a friend who was at Bryant. It was the longest drive of my life.

I live 9 miles from Bryant. So I feel your pain. As stupid as it seems to go up 495 to the Mass Pike and all the way to 84 then south, then go back east again, it’s the best route.

Reaction Score

It's Route 6 or 44.

Reaction Score
When I worked on I-84 in Willimantic, the Office Manager was from Providence (so was the GC - Campanella Corp) and rather than drive to the project every day from Providence, he rented the building at the top of Jerimoth Hill (the highest point in RI at 812' above MSL). It was originally a radio broadcasting station that connected to the broadcasting tower that was there. I would normally stay there after a day trip for meetings at the main office. Those were some crazy times! And, the drive to/from Providence took over an hour on Rte 6.....

Reaction Score
I feel like I may not be alone in thinking this, but I rarely ever go to NYC because it's a 45 minute drive to New Haven and then a 1.5 hour train ride. If you tell me all I need to do now is drive 15 minutes to Hartford and sit on a train for 50 minutes, I would probably be there once a month even if it was just for a quick evening dinner.

50 minutes from NYC or Boston for Hartford county people is huge, there would be a lot more customers than you think
New York should help pay for it! ???

Reaction Score
hows aboot we finish rt 11? it's only been close to 3/4's of a century... it's the red line on the map:
CT-11_map.png

'The Route 11 extension has been a political football for politicians and town officials alike since its inception in 1953. Since then, millions in taxpayer dollars have been spent on numerous studies, preliminary engineering and contractual/Department of Transportation (DOT) activities, trying to complete the vision of G. Albert Hill, Connecticut’s State Highway Commissioner in 1953'
Connecticut’s Road to Nowhere: A History of Route 11 | Yankee Institute for Public Policy
Great article that illustrates in detail what can happen to a worthy project when faced with cost escalations/issues and "environmental concerns". Thanks for sharing.

It is interesting that the High Speed Rail article pegs the cost of the line (including the tunnel under LIS) to be $105 Billion over 20 years! I cannot begin to predict what the final cost would be given inflation over that lengthy period of time! Also, given the legal difficulties in obtaining ROW and Environmental studies, filings, reviews and court cases, it is certainly doubtful this project would ever get off the ground.

Reaction Score
I think you mean I-384. Which was a drag strip (and we used it as one) highway to nowhere when I was growing up in Manchester. Ran from one end of the town to the other. Hadn’t been connected to 84 yet. It was supposed to follow most of what is now RT 6 from the Bolton/ Manchester line through Willimantic to Providence. It would have helped both cities, and certainly Willimantic.
No, he is right the original plan was for I 84 to go to Providence. When they gave that idea up they turned it into I 384. I 86 was the highway from Hartford to the Mass pike which they turned into I 84.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No, he is right the original plan was for I 84 to go to Providence. When they gave that idea up they turned it into I 384. I 86 was the highway from Hartford to the Mass pike which they turned into I 84.

No. What is 84 was 84. They did propose the road to Providence, and renamed that stretch of 84 to 86, then years later when the project was dead, renamed it back to 84 again.

Reaction Score
No. What is 84 was 84. They did propose the road to Providence, and renamed that stretch of 84 to 86, then years later when the project was dead, renamed it back to 84 again.
Sounds like we are saying the same thing. The stretch from Manchester to the Mass Pike was Rte 15 until the mid 60's. Renamed it I 84 for a short while then I 86 until they gave up the highway to Providence which was going to be I 84. At that time they went back to I 84 for the Manchester - Mass Pike section. The Providence proposal died because of environmental concerns in both CT and RI

Reaction Score
Exit 4 post for the most insightful win, but someone else's reference to a Long Island Sound tunnel was humorous.

Reaction Score
This thread is interesting. Really illustrates some of the issues with CTs transportation infrastructure. Obviously getting from Hartford to Providence is horrible.

It's as bad getting from the northwest corner into Hartford. I grew up in Barkhamsted. Lots of people in the NW corner work in Hartford. Maybe most. They all crawl along route 44 and a few other routes. Stop and go most of the way. I couldn't imagine that being my life for 30 years. Getting up at 6am to be at work at 8am. Finishing work at 5p. Getting home at 6-6:30p. Horrible.

A proper highway into the NW corner and they all could be in Hartford in about 30-40 minutes.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
most everyone who commutes to NYC, Boston, DC or most metro centers have endured this or worse. The pandemic has shown this is unnecessary for so many.

That’s the real takeaway. Spending significant amounts of time commuting is stupid.

Reaction Score
This thread is interesting. Really illustrates some of the issues with CTs transportation infrastructure. Obviously getting from Hartford to Providence is horrible.

It's as bad getting from the northwest corner into Hartford. I grew up in Barkhamsted. Lots of people in the NW corner work in Hartford. Maybe most. They all crawl along route 44 and a few other routes. Stop and go most of the way. I couldn't imagine that being my life for 30 years. Getting up at 6am to be at work at 8am. Finishing work at 5p. Getting home at 6-6:30p. Horrible.

A proper highway into the NW corner and they all could be in Hartford in about 30-40 minutes.
A highway would certainly help the commuters but at what cost? Wouldn't that change the rural nature of the NW corner and why people moved there in the first place? I never lived in that region so I never had to get there fast but I have always enjoyed driving west on 44 and beyond.

I know of people in places like Riverside CA that get up at 4 to get to work on time. Not for me. I read once that you should never travel more than 30 minutes to get to work. I traveled from Coventry CT to Providence for a job since that was all I could get in 2010 after a few months out of work and telecommuting was not an option. That was about an hour and 15 minutes in good weather. Fortunately, I was able to get another job for more pay 6 weeks later and I was able to stop that madness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom