1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
  1. UCONN
  2. UNH Wildcats
  3. Army
  4. LaSalle
  5. Iowa State-great fans
  6. South Carolina-Because of Dawn and I marvel at the fan support
  7. Michigan State-Were outstanding in recruiting process.
  8. Virginia
  9. Bryant
  10. Quinnipiac
  11. Duke
  12. Dartmouth
  13. DePaul
  14. Penn
  15. Villanova
  16. Boston University- Marissa
  17. Temple
  18. Princeton
  19. St. Joe's
  20. Texas-Celeste Taylor
  21. Maryland-Diamond Miller
  22. Virginia Tech-Coach Brooks
  23. FSU-Valencia Myers & River Baldwin
  24. NC State- I really like watching Cunane play.
  25. Nebraska-I like the coach and Kate Cain
  26. - 349 I'll watch because I support WCBB
350. Stanford-Good basketball but I still haven’t got over that Haley Jones thing.
351. Syracuse- Coach Q hurts my basketball brain every time I watch
352. Navy
353. ND
354. TN

Reaction Score
We are the two ex ACC teams. I remember the fight game. Then there was the famous slow down game when Jim O'Brien hit the game winning shot at the buzzer. I think the score was 4-2 at halftime. First time I ever seen students storm the court. The next year you guys left.

Last mbb season we were in the conference, we went undefeated in conference play and lost in the ACC tournament championship game to Tobacco Road officiating. Thus we did not make the 16 team NCAA tourney. Conference knew we were leaving the next year and did not want us to be the conference representative.

We left because the Tobacco Road Four didn't want to lower the 800 SAT minimum so black kids from poor rural school backgrounds would be ineligible as Jim Crowe was collapsing. Maryland, SCar and Clemson wanted the 800SAT dropped so admissions were the same as the rest of the country. The TR4 persuaded Virginia to join them to block it.

We left and Clemson was supposed to join us but wimped out. Y'all hung there along time, but I think you always hated the TR4 after that even though they dropped the 800SAT two years after we left.

Reaction Score
1. Mississippi State
2. Tennessee
3. Duke
4. UConn

Let me explain: I always rooted for UT from my time in college and beyond largely due to geography, conference affiliation and Summitt. UConn came along and I had no problems with the program being so successful and saw that UT was no longer top of the mountain but I didn't diminish my desire to see them win. I lived for many years in Greensboro, NC, and became a fan of Duke women's team and made a few trips to Cameron to watch them. It's the best place I've ever watched a basketball game and while most of the ones I saw were against non threatening competition I liked the fans and the atmosphere.

I loved Maya Moore as a player (also loved Bird) and cheered for UConn during those days but tipped my hat to Diggins when she and ND took down UConn in a few big games that were very exciting and reminded me of the old UT-UConn rivalry. Since joining this board a few years back and participating in the discussions I've grown to appreciate UConn's fans and program in a way I hadn't before. Most here are incredibly courteous and welcoming of fans of other programs and allow for some great discussions. I also respect Geno and what he has built. Summitt deserves her accolades but so does Geno and his impact on the sport is significant.

McCray-Penson has her work cut out for her to keep MSU where Vic has it now and keep pace with the other SEC programs. Harper did fine overall this past season but has a long way to go, and it's going to take Lawson some time to reestablish a winning culture at Duke. I hope UT and Duke can begin to climb back towards the select company of the top programs but it won't be easy.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What did Minny do to you? ;);)

You know what they did :mad:

348. NC State
349. Virginia
350. UNC
351. Duke

ACC hate still run high with me. Especially on the men side.

comeonman.png

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
My list is kind of sort.
1. Rutgers
2. UVA(big Tina Thompson fan).
And I’ll add back
3. Duke (I’m interested to see the rebuild Kara does).

Reaction Score
Not nice about UConn. And you're a guest. :confused:
With ND being my #1 team, I didn't say any team playing UConn or putting you in my bottom two. These seem to be the position by a lot of the UConn fans regarding ND: DEPup, DefenseBB, CocoHusky, the Q, KyCardFan, & Haven in this thread alone. As for where UConn fits for me, I didn't even put them in my bottom 23 teams including the 14 SEC teans which me and many fellow PAC12 fans seem to be our most hated conference.

Having UConn as high as I did is a big change for me from back in the day ND and UConn were both in the Big East when I truly disliked the Huskies. The reason I called out both the WCC and Big East as my favorite conferences as a whole (beyond my PAC12 for all teams except SC & UDub) is they are predominately Catholic universities in the mix with BYU (who I have hated since Danny Ainge knocked out ND's best MBB team ever in the NCAA tourney), Pepperdine, Pacific, Butler, & UConn as the only outliers. So I pull for the BE Catholic schools and I put Butler (an Indiana school like ND) ahead of UConn in the Big East, Still the Huskies have moved up in my mind as a school I can truly respect and sometimes root for. I actually want you to beat South Carolina and all SEC schools, L'ville and many ACC schools other than ND , Maryland and all Big 10 schools, Baylor and all Big 12 schools, and even Southern Cal if you ever played them. So I don't know if that is really being "not nice".

As for being a guest I thought this was a General WBB forum and you guys want us to post. If I'm not welcome, I do have other places to go and post if that's the preference. Still I like the forum despite the overwhelming Husky bias, which is truly understandable since you guys host the discussion.

Reaction Score
With ND being my #1 team, I didn't say any team playing UConn or putting you in my bottom two. These seem to be the position by a lot of the UConn fans regarding ND: DEPup, DefenseBB, CocoHusky, the Q, KyCardFan, & Haven in this thread alone. As for where UConn fits for me, I didn't even put them in my bottom 23 teams including the 14 SEC teans which me and many fellow PAC12 fans seem to be our most hated conference.

Having UConn as high as I did is a big change for me from back in the day ND and UConn were both in the Big East when I truly disliked the Huskies. The reason I called out both the WCC and Big East as my favorite conferences as a whole (beyond my PAC12 for all teams except SC & UDub) is they are predominately Catholic universities in the mix with BYU (who I have hated since Danny Ainge knocked out ND's best MBB team ever in the NCAA tourney), Pepperdine, Pacific, Butler, & UConn as the only outliers. So I pull for the BE Catholic schools and I put Butler (an Indiana school like ND) ahead of UConn in the Big East, Still the Huskies have moved up in my mind as a school I can truly respect and sometimes root for. I actually want you to beat South Carolina and all SEC schools, L'ville and many ACC schools other than ND , Maryland and all Big 10 schools, Baylor and all Big 12 schools, and even Southern Cal if you ever played them. So I don't know if that is really being "not nice".

As for being a guest I thought this was a General WBB forum and you guys want us to post. If I'm not welcome, I do have other places to go and post if that's the preference. Still I like the forum despite the overwhelming Husky bias, which is truly understandable since you guys host the discussion.

You realize I was joking, right?

Reaction Score
You realize I was joking, right?
Never know on this board. Also with the way sports is changing because of the pandemic I'm not sure who I'll be rooting for when we get back. Either way since starting to post here about 9 months ago I've started to like the Husky WBB fans and even the Huskies a little more. I never thought I'd ever root for your team, but your reply got me realizing there are at least 50 teams where I'd be pulling for you against them. Far cry from those Big East days and Stewies's NCAA run when all I wanted was for you to lose to anyone. I'm glad you are going back to the Big East even if you dominate all those Big East teams I like. Maybe one of them will finally get close to you like ND did right before they left to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Never know on this board. Also with the way sports is changing because of the pandemic I'm not sure who I'll be rooting for when we get back. Either way since starting to post here about 9 months ago I've started to like the Husky WBB fans and even the Huskies a little more. I never thought I'd ever root for your team, but your reply got me realizing there are at least 50 teams where I'd be pulling for you against them. Far cry from those Big East days and Stewies's NCAA run when all I wanted was for you to lose to anyone. I'm glad you are going back to the Big East even if you dominate all those Big East teams I like. Maybe one of them will finally get close to you like ND did right before they left to the ACC.

If it makes you feel a little better, I root for ND when they are playing Tennessee. Hey, it's a start. ;)

Reaction Score
1. UCONN
2. Iowa
3. Duke
4. Princeton
5. Stanford
6. S Carolina
7. Minnesota
8. Oregon State

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
1. UCONN
2. Iowa
3. Duke
4. Princeton
5. Stanford
6. S Carolina
7. Minnesota
8. Oregon State
Ok while I really like this list of schools, my “Sesame Street” senses say, one of these schools does not belong with the others...Why Minnesota?:confused:

Reaction Score
Ok while I really like this list of schools, my “Sesame Street” senses say, one of these schools does not belong with the others...Why Minnesota?:confused:

Lived in MN after college for a while, worked for the Minneapolis Housing Authority and Burnsville Public Safety. Used to play BB at Williams (sometimes the Vikings players would play, I remember Dave Winfield also was there a lot). Dave Winfield, by the way, was a great basketball as well as baseball player. Was asked to come out for basketball after injuries decimated the team and started at center for them (at 6'7"). Now interested to see what Whalen can do with WBB team.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Its the off-season.. Minus well bump and update this thread. Plus now we have the dislike button... I can retroactively dislike a few posts :mad:

Reaction Score
What schools do you root for and in what order? I promised @nwhoopfan a hierarchy of the 17 Division I schools in NC I root for this off-season. Of course there are 18 DI schools in my state, but one shall not be mentioned by me. I assume most of yall don't have as many schools on your list..... maybe some of yall only have one.

1) Duke
2) UNC-Greensboro
3) NC A&T
4) HPU
5) Western Carolina
6) Wake Forest
7) NC State
8) Elon
9) UNC-Asheville
10) Campbell
11) Gardner Webb
12) NC Central
13) Charlotte
14) UNC-Wilmington
15) East Carolina
16) Applachian State
17) Davidson
Hater. :p

And my answer is 1-infinity:

South Carolina WBB.

(If I give my true #2 the Gamecock FAMS will skin me alive...not an SEC team.....and no, not Clemson.)

Reaction Score
1. Baylor
2. Stanford
3. Mizzou(love watching them play South Carolina with Cunningham!)
4. BYU
5. Gonzaga
Little Miss C was in the stands running that mouth of hers when we lost to Mizz at Mizzou this past season. Bet you all the money in the world she won't show that face at CLA next year though. Not if she's smart.

Reaction Score
351. Clemson
350. Tennessee
tie. UNC
348. Miami
347. Florida State

Really, this has little to do with WBB. It's about all-sport fanbases.
It would probably be easier for us especially (SEC in particular) to rank the teams we will NEVER pull for bc it does, as you mention, encompass all sports and is more fan-centric for us most of the time.

UNC
UGA
Tennessee
Mizzou

And in the "I'd gnaw my own arm off before I EVER pulled for them to do well in ANYTHING" category is Clemson.

Reaction Score
I only root for UConn. However, I admire Stanford (all the way back to Kate Starbird). Since Shea is my all time favorite Husky, I have good thoughts about Vanderbilt, but they are ambivalent.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Comes down to the coach and player personnel for me more than anything else. I was a huge Tennessee fan during Pat's era but had trouble finding the program rootable watching players give 50% effort under Holly and I like Harper but the program lacks the same magic it once had. Current favorites I typically pull for (in no particular order) include Texas, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Duke, Tennessee, Vandy and Maryland. I almost always root against UCONN, usually root against Louisville too.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
With the coaching changes this year my list has changed!
#351 GEORGIA
#350 USC Trojans
#349-331 All the schools that @triaddukefan lists as his favorites…:p
#330 Tennessee
#329 Baylor
#328 Penn St

While I will always DETEST MM, I like and respect Niele Ivey and once Mabry the youngest leaves, I will entertain putting ND near my top 15 programs to root for.

sun

Reaction Score
Since I'm an alumi and a CT native, I root for:

1. UConn Huskies
2. A local team, the Central CT State University Blue Devils of the Northeast Conference Div. 1

3. Generally I like to see CT schools do well but I'm not a hard core supporter of any.
Yale, Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart

4. I have a very casual interest in schools coached by former UConn players such as:
Princeton
Dayton
Vanderbilt

5. I generally like to see Big East schools do well when playing OOC games.

6. I've been following recent coaching changes, particularly in schools that have not been doing very well, and I would like to see them be more successful as underdogs.
I'll probably be checking out some of their scores in the future.

Illinois
Virginia
Syracuse
Texas A&M
Georgia
UCF
Butler

I'd like to see Caitlin Clark & Iowa do well as an underdog team.
Whenever 2 teams are playing each other I may favor one based on my own scale of opportunism.
Just as players come and go, I may adjust who I root for.
Otherwise I'll only distantly root for any teams other than #1 UConn and #2 CCSU.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom