Hierarchy of the WCBB teams you root for | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hierarchy of the WCBB teams you root for

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
There's definitely some Pac-12 Solidarity in the dislike of the SEC.
My feelings about the SEC are much stronger in football than in WCBB. For me, SEC WCBB is a mixed bag. I've always admired Vic Schaefer and his recent Miss. St. teams were highly likeable, and claims to a Mythical National Championship-notwithstanding, I also really like Dawn and the program she runs at South Carolina. To me, she is the clearest prototype of what the next generation of college coaches needs to do to be successful.

However, I will hold a grudge against Texas A&M forever and ever for our last-second 2011 Final Four loss (yes, I know Vic was responsible for it), and I will admit to succumbing to schadenfreude while watching Tennessee slowly descend into comical and forgettable mediocrity over the past decade after the most unlikeable coach-player duo in recent history (Summitt + Parker) denied Candice Wiggins a championship in 2008.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I guess I should take a stab at this.

1. Oregon St./Washington (it varies a bit from year to year who I pull for when they go head to head)
2. Most of the rest of the Pac 12 in some order, probably Stanford next. I generally dislike Oregon (football especially), but Graves puts a really entertaining and quality team on the floor. I have a really hard time rooting for USC or Arizona St., but for conference solidarity I grudgingly want them to do well in OOC and post season.
3. It gets tough at this point. I used to really enjoy watching UConn, but the last several years I've found I have zero interest in watching them beat up craptastic AAC teams. I'll watch their big OOC games. I've really been enjoying Iowa recently. I'll watch random games from various different conferences from time to time. I follow Gonzaga, but streaming is the only option for watching most of their games and I rarely end up doing that (the WCC's site was awful this last season).
300+ I generally dislike all things SEC. Sorry fans of the various schools, that's just how I feel. I don't care much for Notre Dame or Baylor either.

I agree with almost all of this, except I'd put Oregon #1 and don't really share the animosity that goes back and forth between the fans of the two state schools, although--to be completely honest--I do find the "purer than pure" mantra of some OSU fans kind of annoying (ditto the references to "Uncle Phil" by Oregon fans). I'm originally from CT, and a UCONN fan since the 60s, never missing a game if I could avoid doing so, but, with @nwhoopfan, I've found the games during the ACC tough to watch since the end of the Stewie era. So I guess I'd put them at #3. I also am not a fan of SEC WBB generally, but I do respect and admire what Vic and Dawn have done.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was the Gulf coast tournament final.

Another tournament meeting in Dawn's second year.

And the Final Four heartbreaker.

Dawn is 0-3.
Oh yeah I forgot about that final four heartbreak! Felt bad for Tiffany Mitchell

Reaction Score
I generally can find something to root for with every team. Teams I will never root for regardless of sport are Florida, Miami and Notre Dame :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Since folks are being honest - I'll share the ones I do not root for - Maryland and Syracuse most seriously. I'm really not likely to root for Penn State and Seton Hall, for Rutgers reasons, although I do like the new coach at State Penn. Until this past year, North Carolina.

Not to contradict my previous post - but I really do not care for UCLA at all and I don't care for the school up north in Tempe in anything but WBB (and only because of CTT). However, I do root for both OOC.

Reaction Score
UConn (lived in CT for 30+ years)
UVA (season ticket holder, would love to see them become relevant again)
Louisville (like Jeff... and met him a couple of years ago)
DePaul (ditto the Jeff comment)
USF

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Since folks are being honest - I'll share the ones I do not root for - Maryland and Syracuse most seriously. I'm really not likely to root for Penn State and Seton Hall, for Rutgers reasons, although I do like the new coach at State Penn. Until this past year, North Carolina.

Not to contradict my previous post - but I really do not care for UCLA at all and I don't care for the school up north in Tempe in anything but WBB (and only because of CTT). However, I do root for both OOC.

I wasn't intending for this thread to go there... but since previous posters have.. I'll go.. No love at all for these schools in WCBB..... some genuine hate, disgust, might look askance if someone is wearing their apparel, raised blood pressure....... might spit on merchandise if i come across it in a store .. just kidding

Just listing these has gotten me heated..... lemme go do some yardwork :mad: :mad::mad:

351) UNC--cheat (goes WAY beyond WCBB.. their primary color almost makes me physically ill... nothing of that color is allowed in my house... except for toilet tissue)
350) Maryland (should be obvious)
349) Tennessee (they broke my heart by beating UVA and Dawn Staley in the 1991 championship game)
348) Stanford (broke my heart by eliminating UVA in the 1992 final 4.... Staley's last collegiate game)
347) Texas (never ever liked them.... stole our coach, da hell with the beef steaks)
346) Rutgers (should be obvious)
345) Oregon (should be obvious)
344) Hampton ( @Plebe probably knows, @CamrnCrz1974 as well)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I wasn't intending for this thread to go there... but since previous posters have.. I'll go.. No love at all for these schools in WCBB..... some genuine hate, disgust, might look askance if someone is wearing their apparel, raised blood pressure....... might spit on merchandise if i come across it in a store .. just kidding

Just listing these has gotten me heated..... lemme go do some yardwork :mad: :mad::mad:

351) UNC--cheat (goes WAY beyond WCBB.. their primary color almost makes me physically ill... nothing of that color is allowed in my house... except for toilet tissue)
349) Tennessee (they broke my heart by beating UVA and Dawn Staley in the 1991 championship game)
348) Stanford (broke my heart by eliminating UVA in the 1992 final 4.... Staley's last collegiate game)
347) Texas (never ever liked them.... stole our coach, da hell with the beef steaks)
I'll bite - Hampton?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
343) Depaul. Don't like their mascot or team name.....and a few other reasons. ..... and before Plebe mentions it.... I'll retort his expected commentary by saying that Duke ended Depaul's best season (by rank) in the 2011 sweet 16..... while Depaul eliminated a Duke team playing without 2 future 1st round pg's in 2014.

I'll bite - Hampton?

Well I shouldn't hold it against the school (but I do) but in the 2017 first round tourney game, a player recklessly ran into Kyra Lambert on a loose ball attempt that resulted in a torn ACL for Lambert sidelining her for the next game, and the next season. I also didn't like the way they left the MEAC conference, announcing a week before thanksgiving of 2017 that they would be leaving at the end of the academic year. Plebe will say that My Aggies did the same thing (announce a departure from the MEAC) but at least they announced it 18 months before the departure.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Plebe will say that My Aggies did the same thing (announce a departure from the MEAC) but at least they announced it 18 months before the departure.
:rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I worry that @Plebe and @triaddukefan are FAR TOO familiar with each other's thoughts that we are all just spectators in this game of watching the Boneyard version of "Fightclub". Has anyone seen these two together? :D

Reaction Score
as in all sports:
1) Gamecocks, of course
2) Whoever is competing against Clemson in any competition, whether sports-related or not
3) Whoever is competing against Tennessee in any sport
4-A) The Ducks
--B) the Beavers
5) The Underdog (I even pulled for UConn this year against Baylor ;))
6) SEC team playing OOC (in football and baseball)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Forgot all about Minnesota....... gotta put them at 345 and move Oregon and Hampton down.

Reaction Score
Favorite schools-all sports, but mostly in order WBB, CFB, MBB, WSoccer. WVB, WSB, Baseball, & WGymnastics. Watch many events/gameson TV, but have attended many live sporting events for the top 3 and have been to games/matches at each of my top 15 schools.. I hate how this pandemic has taken away all these opportunities.
1. Notre Dame-alumnus undergrad
2. Oregon-2 graduate degrees & son attended
3. Oregon State-live in Corvallis, taught there 11 years
4. University of Portland-ND sister school, all my kids went to Clive Charles soccer camps there
5. SMC-Moraga, CA-daughter played soccer there & Captained x-country team, fun bball teams
6. Colorado-athlete daughter's grad school, tutored FB players
7. UCLA-daughter's law school
8. Cal-son-in-laws school,
9. WSU
10. ASU
11. Gonxaga
12. Stanford
13. Portland State-youngest daughters school
14. University Chicago-oldest daughers undergrad
15. Ohio University-son in law teaches there
16, Utah
17. Arizona
18-Loyola-Chicago (wife's school)
19 John Carroll (Dad and brother's school)
20-26 Other WCC teams except BYU starting with USF
next Big East Schools starting with Depaul & Marquette with UConn least favorite BE school.

Bottom schools in order of most want to lose.
Southern Cal, Michigan, L'ville, UDub, SEC Schools, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Ohio State

Reaction Score
1. Maryland
2. George Washington
3. Georgetown (especially after Sugar Rogers left)
4. Delaware
5. Stanford
6. Florida State
7. Miami
8. Syracuse (more for the men team though)
9. South Carolina
10. Baylor

348. NC State
349. Virginia
350. UNC
351. Duke

ACC hate still run high with me. Especially on the men side.

Reaction Score
ACC hate still run high with me. Especially on the men side.

Still?

My 50th anniversary of ACC hatred will be next year. Mostly hatred of the Tobacco Road Four politics - though the Lefty Fight Night generated a lot of hatred between our schools.

Reaction Score
Still?

My 50th anniversary of ACC hatred will be next year. Mostly hatred of the Tobacco Road Four politics - though the Lefty Fight Night generated a lot of hatred between our schools.
We are the two ex ACC teams. I remember the fight game. Then there was the famous slow down game when Jim O'Brien hit the game winning shot at the buzzer. I think the score was 4-2 at halftime. First time I ever seen students storm the court. The next year you guys left.

Reaction Score
1. Arkansas -- there is only one Razorback.
2. Delaware (alum)
3. Rutgers (alum)
4. South Carolina (current home)
5. Anyone playing Mizzou (very little respect for Pingeton's program)
6. Other SEC schools (except #5 above) playing OOC
7. Oregon State
8. Stanford
9. Drake (impressed with what that program has become)
10. Gonzaga (ditto)

Reaction Score
Favorite schools-all sports, but mostly in order WBB, CFB, MBB, WSoccer. WVB, WSB, Baseball, & WGymnastics. Watch many events/gameson TV, but have attended many live sporting events for the top 3 and have been to games/matches at each of my top 15 schools.. I hate how this pandemic has taken away all these opportunities.
1. Notre Dame-alumnus undergrad
2. Oregon-2 graduate degrees & son attended
3. Oregon State-live in Corvallis, taught there 11 years
4. University of Portland-ND sister school, all my kids went to Clive Charles soccer camps there
5. SMC-Moraga, CA-daughter played soccer there & Captained x-country team, fun bball teams
6. Colorado-athlete daughter's grad school, tutored FB players
7. UCLA-daughter's law school
8. Cal-son-in-laws school,
9. WSU
10. ASU
11. Gonxaga
12. Stanford
13. Portland State-youngest daughters school
14. University Chicago-oldest daughers undergrad
15. Ohio University-son in law teaches there
16, Utah
17. Arizona
18-Loyola-Chicago (wife's school)
19 John Carroll (Dad and brother's school)
20-26 Other WCC teams except BYU starting with USF
next Big East Schools starting with Depaul & Marquette with UConn least favorite BE school.

Bottom schools in order of most want to lose.
Southern Cal, Michigan, L'ville, UDub, SEC Schools, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Ohio State

Not nice about UConn. And you're a guest. :confused:

Reaction Score
1. UConn
2. DePaul
3. UMass Amherst
4. Central Michigan
5. Indiana
6. Louisville

I'm sure there are more....

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
UConn
Whoever is playing Notre Dame
Former UConn player/coach teams (ie George Washington, BU etc)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom