Hey, remember Elon? | The Boneyard

Hey, remember Elon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have a rooting interest in the Elon Phoenix. I was checking their schedule and noticed that Elon is 3-1 with a double-digit win over Rutgers. The one loss was to Green Bay, which recently gave Notre Dame a scare.

Go Phoenix!

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Rutgers? My, how the high have fallen. But then again maybe Elon is final four material.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow - Rutgers is off to an 0-3 record losing to Chattanooga, Wake Forest, and Elon. Scaife is lost for the season - not the dreaded knee, but an operation last spring and she is taking this year off for full recovery.
Are any of the Rutgers sports teams doing will since their joined the Big10?

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Odd that Elon's only loss would be to another team named the Phoenix. If Elon can continue to go undefeated against all teams not named the Phoenix, I'd expect a very successful season!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow - Rutgers is off to an 0-3 record losing to Chattanooga, Wake Forest, and Elon. Scaife is lost for the season - not the dreaded knee, but an operation last spring and she is taking this year off for full recovery.

I'm willing to bet that's a no. Their football team is winless in conference and its only wins were against New Mexico and Howard. Their volleyball team is also winless at 0-17 in conference, and in those 17 matches have only managed to win a total of two *sets*.

As for Rutgers WBB, there's something seriously wrong when a team fails to make the tournament but then has two players taken in the WNBA draft.

Reaction Score

I think the women's softball and soccer teams were pretty good with winning records

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think the women's softball and soccer teams were pretty good with winning records

I see that women's soccer did have a winning record (12-5-6 overall, 4-2-5 in conference) and did make the NCAA tournament. But women's softball had a losing record in the spring.

Reaction Score
Of course I remember Elon.

He was born a pauper to a pawn on a Christmas day when the New York Times said God is dead and the war's begun.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
I believe they used to be known as the Elon Fightin' Christians. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I see that women's soccer did have a winning record (12-5-6 overall, 4-2-5 in conference) and did make the NCAA tournament. But women's softball had a losing record in the spring.
Women's soccer is and has been quite good, and was not hurt by joining the B1G. They were in the Final Four last year. Men's soccer, while truly awful this year, was good enough last year to earn the coach "B1G Coach of the Year" honors, I gather there were injuries this year, but I don't follow soccer. The wrestling team is also quite well thought of, and has had national rankings and some NCAA tournament wrestlers since joining the B1G.

Likewise, neither Softball nor Volleyball were hurt by joining the B1G. Volleyball had been awful for years - you can look it up. Softball, OTH, has improved from "awful" and even might have had a winning record some years. I don't think the move in conferences changed things that much, they couldn't beat the better BE teams and can't beat the better B1G teams, who are much, much better than the BE top teams, to be sure. Softball has - among other things - a very serious issue - they don't play in anything resembling a stadium, which most P5 teams do. They have no nearby locker room (it is across the street in the RAC), no lights, a poor climate (no, that doesn't stop the other B1G teams, but it doesn't help building a team), etc. I happen to like the coach, but he is solid and not likely to take them to any heights. Yet, his accomplishments starting at dreadful need to be noted.

For football and women's basketball - which I do follow, obviously, the issue is recruiting, really. Vivian can't seem to get it done, and the new football coach is, naturally, playing with his predecessor's team. One can but hope. I know nada about men's basketball, except that Eddie Jordan, who was dismissed last year, was awful.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Women's soccer is and has been quite good, and was not hurt by joining the B1G. They were in the Final Four last year. Men's soccer, while truly awful this year, was good enough last year to earn the coach "B1G Coach of the Year" honors, I gather there were injuries this year, but I don't follow soccer. The wrestling team is also quite well thought of, and has had national rankings and some NCAA tournament wrestlers since joining the B1G.

Likewise, neither Softball nor Volleyball were hurt by joining the B1G. Volleyball had been awful for years - you can look it up. Softball, OTH, has improved from "awful" and even might have had a winning record some years. I don't think the move in conferences changed things that much, they couldn't beat the better BE teams and can't beat the better B1G teams, who are much, much better than the BE top teams, to be sure. Softball has - among other things - a very serious issue - they don't play in anything resembling a stadium, which most P5 teams do. They have no nearby locker room (it is across the street in the RAC), no lights, a poor climate (no, that doesn't stop the other B1G teams, but it doesn't help building a team), etc. I happen to like the coach, but he is solid and not likely to take them to any heights. Yet, his accomplishments starting at dreadful need to be noted.

For football and women's basketball - which I do follow, obviously, the issue is recruiting, really. Vivian can't seem to get it done, and the new football coach is, naturally, playing with his predecessor's team. One can but hope. I know nada about men's basketball, except that Eddie Jordan, who was dismissed last year, was awful.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Elon plays three tobacco road schools in a row starting saturday. Home vs Wake Forest... at UNC.... and at Duke. I hope they go 1-2 in that stretch. :cool: They beat NC State last year. Coach McCallie's daughter is a senior starter on that team and she led them to victory vs the Wolfpack last year.

I wanted to check them out last year when they played the C of C....... but it snowed that night and travel was a bit hazardous. They play the C of C again this year.... but unfortunately its the same night that Louisville visits Duke.... so I will be in Durham instead.

I believe they used to be known as the Elon Fightin' Christians. :)

Yep.... they changed once they went to Division I back around 1999-2000 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom