Hey Ken Davis - go away | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hey Ken Davis - go away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Too many times I have been turned down when I have offered a free ticket to friends. Too much stuff to do in the fall, kid stuff and getting ready for winter I guess. A woman I worked with who was transferred up from Florida and bought a condo said "you guys don't realize how much you do to get ready for winter". I think for me the HD DVR has been a revelation since I can watch it on my time. As for me I retired 4.5 years ago. I was part of a small group of 5 members who tailgated together that has disbanded due to the death of our good friend and Ticket administrator. There were a total of 19 seats in preferred seating that used my friend's standing since he also had tickets for women and men's BB. For whatever reason none of the other 14 seats wanted to renew and so for the 1st time in 13 years I will not have seasons tickets. I will go to the occasional game when I not biking or working my part time job in a nearby Vineyard. I know I'll take some heat but so be it. I only had 2 out of the 19 seats. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!
The bus driver dies so you all stay home? Your friend lives in a condo, what season does she have to prepare for? You are retired and cant fit six dates around biking. OK.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The real deal here is that people in our state need to get back on board with this program under Diaco. He's 100% the right guy for the job and can help (and IS) building back this program and its exciting if anyone can. There are people I work with that I have to remind that we're actually in the American Athletic Conference (not the Big East- which no longer exsists for FB). These are casual sports fans at best. They don't have a clue who UCF is, or where Tulane is, or why playing Houston last year, beating them, and storming the field was such a big deal. The problem is getting people back on board with the excitment of UConn Football being on the national stage. That's what we had under Edsall, like it or not, he put us on the map... Back then it was possible to get to a BCS bowl (now New Year's Six) from our conference and from our gleeming new stadium in East Hartford. Today's college football landscape is vastly changed and keeps changing every month it seems. If we can make it into the Big XII it would help to soldify where we sit on the national stage and get fans (even those causal ones) back engaged again. If I'm Benidict (regardless of if we get a P5 invite or not) I stop scheduling these cupcake FCS games. Why the hell would anyone want to come out on a Thursday night (and I'm not talking people like us here) to tailgate and watch UConn play Maine or Holy Cross? What is this the late 90's all over again back at Memorial? That's the kind of small-time thinking that I think hurts us. Why not try and scheudle a FBS school- even a Sun Belt conference opponet who would come up to CT for opening night? We want to be big time (again), we need to start thinking big time again. And that all starts with us fans.

I agree about the throwaway cupcake game, but unfortunately, at this point in time we need at least one virtually guaranteed W for bowl eligibility purposes and more importantly, as a tune up game for a tough Sept. schedule of games. We have Navy on the road, Virginia and Syracuse in Sept.

All the P5 conference teams schedule at least one or more of these non-conference laughers every year. It's an extra home game for them and a big payday for the visitor, so it's a win-win deal for everybody, except perhaps the fanbase, as you correctly point out.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I hear you @UConnNick... I'm still lobbying for a Sun Belt school in OOC play though! lol ;)

Yes, but let's hope it's not an audition for us to join their football conference, condemning us to a future where our biggest ambition will be to play in the New Orleans Bowl! Head bang

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Yes, but let's hope it's not an audition for us to join their football conference, condemning us to a future where our biggest ambition will be to play in the New Orleans Bowl! Head bang
True. Or else we'll be "looking forward" to regular barn-burners at The Rent like UConn vs. Georgia State... Although App. State would probably put up a good fight against us!

UConnNick

Reaction Score
True. Or else we'll be "looking forward" to regular barn-burners at The Rent like UConn vs. Georgia State... Although App. State would probably put up a good fight against us!

Don't sell Georgia State short.....they're on the rise!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'd say the minute we are in the Big 12, the stadium comes back to life in a big way. Big time college football will draw the next tier of fan base that dissipated with the ACC raid and BE implosion. Simply put, we were competing at a national level, the rug was pulled out and an utter dolt took over the program and drove it into the gutter. The fans in Connecticut are not stupid and know a good product when they see it. They also won't pay up to see second tier conference play packaged up as something it isnt. Make no mistake, Connecticut fans will be louder and prouder than ever with a shot to return to a national stage. From where I sit, that make our fans truly special because they demand and expect excellence. That is the difference between UConn and every other program being considered. We contend for championships and won't stop until we do. In 5 years UConn will be in the top tier of the Big12 by force of will. In the meantime, until we get to the promised land, the hard core 28,000 hold the fort, and those 28,000 are amazing given the undeserved hard kicks in the pants this program has received. To sum up. Please don't tell us what we need to prove. You don't the first thing about UConn or its fans.
Right on. We've seen what Houston and Memphis draw when they're not having 10 win seasons. Guess what, it's a whole hell of a lot worse than us. Didn't one/both of them draw under 20k in the past 5 or so years? Temple when they're not having they're greatest season ever and their stadium isn't full of Penn St and ND fans? USF when they're not computing attendance by adding the number of tickets sold/handed out/ stapled to telephone poles plus the number of people who actually showed up? Cincy even for that matter is generally in our ballpark. Everyone says UConn is one of the bottom 5 FBS teams, then why aren't we bottom 5 attendance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom