Hey Ken Davis - go away | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hey Ken Davis - go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
But there in lies the problem, I agree we respond well to even moderate success, and that the Edsall years were pretty decent, many great memories were had. But Benedict is giving us the keys to the car, it's on us. If you want the better opponents we can't wait until we are invited, we have to show up now, yes even against opponents we don't really care about. Because those doing the inviting are watching and they don't give a rats ashtray if we like the opponent, they want to know we support the program. So some can get on the path that it's just not going to happen for them if we're in this conference, fine by me either way because I'll be there, but you can't complain later if we don't get out of this snow hole.
I understand... And believe me I'll be there no matter what. I just think it's harder to convince others of the no matter what part. CT fans are fickle... I don't know that we solve that in one go right now. Winning will help. So will Aspire.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I relate it to the Whalers in a lot of ways, except they actually played top teams, just couldn't put a winning product out there to keep the fans on board. then when it became a reality that the pony tailed DH would move the team people showed interest again.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They screwed the pooch with the P hire, followed by the empty cupboard mantra the school put out through the media to defend P&D. It's starting to bounce back from that debacle. But bad, boring, uninspired football is not going to be supported by any fan base for too long. It's bouncing back, but the idea that a loyal fab base is going to show up and enthusiastically cheer on a team that struggled to gain 1st downs is silly.
That's because Deleone's idea of a successful offense is achieving 3rd and manageable.

Reaction Score
UConn has a good FB team and a great upcoming schedule, season tickets still low. Excuses aren't working anymore, UConn FB fans are poor
Excuses? You must be about 22-23 years old.

UConn hasn't had a winning season in 5 years. The schedule isn't great. It's the best we've had in years, but it isn't "great". And the team is pretty boring to watch. The defense is good, but the offense doesn't make anyone want to watch.

Tickets are regularly available in the parking lot below face value. Fans are people who show up to games, whether they buy season tickets or not. If they're in the building, a ticket was sold for them to be there.

When UConn was having 7, 8, 9 win seasons we regularly sold out, and the place was rocking. Like it or not, people don't want to spend time and money supporting a team that stinks. And we've been terrible. If the team/school wants better fans, we need a better team. This is not unique to UConn. There are very, very few programs in the country that can endure the 5 season stretch we just endured, while being, by far, the biggest loser of conference realignment, and point to rabid fan support.

Reaction Score
Excuses? You must be about 22-23 years old.

UConn hasn't had a winning season in 5 years. The schedule isn't great. It's the best we've had in years, but it isn't "great". And the team is pretty boring to watch. The defense is good, but the offense doesn't make anyone want to watch.

Tickets are regularly available in the parking lot below face value. Fans are people who show up to games, whether they buy season tickets or not. If they're in the building, a ticket was sold for them to be there.

When UConn was having 7, 8, 9 win seasons we regularly sold out, and the place was rocking. Like it or not, people don't want to spend time and money supporting a team that stinks. And we've been terrible. If the team/school wants better fans, we need a better team. This is not unique to UConn. There are very, very few programs in the country that can endure the 5 season stretch we just endured, while being, by far, the biggest loser of conference realignment, and point to rabid fan support.
excuses, excuses

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
When it comes to not attending FB games, everyone's got an excuse.
Solve the problem and eliminate the excuses. You don't just say "durrr your reasons are dumb come anyway". You think you just wish and hope your way to a dedicated fan base?

Reaction Score
Solve the problem and eliminate the excuses. You don't just say "durrr your reasons are dumb come anyway". You think you just wish and hope your way to a dedicated fan base?
The problems are being solved, fans just don't believe it

Reaction Score
When it comes to not attending FB games, everyone's got an excuse.
I love this. As if anyone needs an excuse to not go to a football game. As if there is a single person in the world who is obligated to buy a ticket to a UConn football game.

People get to choose how they spend their time and money, they don't need an excuse. An excuse is what you give when you have failed to meet an obligation. Not when you make a conscious decision to do something else than go to a football game.

Whether people believe the problems are being solved is irrelevant. Fans will come back when they see that the problems have been solved. You can act as if they owe the team something, but they don't.

Reaction Score
I love this. As if anyone needs an excuse to not go to a football game. As if there is a single person in the world who is obligated to buy a ticket to a UConn football game.

People get to choose how they spend their time and money, they don't need an excuse. An excuse is what you give when you have failed to meet an obligation. Not when you make a conscious decision to do something else than go to a football game.

Whether people believe the problems are being solved is irrelevant. Fans will come back when they see that the problems have been solved. You can act as if they owe the team something, but they don't.
Frankly I've heard enough excuses for one day

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Frankly, do you have a purpose here??? Honestly, I never get folks who have soooo much time on their hands that they purposely piss people off on a message board...must be nice to have all that time

Reaction Score
. Please, don't let the adults take you away from your summer vacation. Before you know it junior year will be here. Looking forward to prom?

I wonder if you have any idea the growing pains the men's basketball team had building the canvass to where it is now. From the field house with a leaky roof to a 1/3rd full civic center. There are peaks and valleys. You have no clue, but..... you're a teenager so you already know it all.

Reaction Score
Frankly, do you have a purpose here??? Honestly, I never get folks who have soooo much time on their hands that they purposely piss people off on a message board...must be nice to have all that time
He's 16, he can't help it, and doesn't know any better.

Reaction Score
. Please, don't let the adults take you away from your summer vacation. Before you know it junior year will be here. Looking forward to prom?

I wonder if you have any idea the growing pains the men's basketball team had building the canvass to where it is now. From the field house with a leaky roof to a 1/3rd full civic center. There are peaks and valleys. You have no clue, but..... you're a teenager so you already know it all.
UConn is peaking but fans not buying in. That stuff should bug everyone, especially considering current conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
UConn is peaking but fans not buying in. That stuff should bug everyone, especially considering current conference affiliation.
6-7 and losing to Marshall in a bowl game is peaking??

When you were 4 I was in Detroit watching us dismantle Toledo for our first bowl win.

I was screaming with a student section and stadium so loud Tyler Palko and Pitt couldn't get the snap off for 3 consecutive downs.

When you were in elementary school, I was storming the field for our first win against a ranked team.

I rushed the field against WVU. I was at Notre Dame for a triple OT victory.

I talked to Gamecock fans after dominating them in Birmingham.

I sat with 12,000 UCONN fans as we played OU in a BCS bowl.

No wonder you don't get it. You think 6-7, third place in the AAC east, and a loss to Marshall in a crappy bowl game is "peaking".

Reaction Score

When you were 4 I was in Detroit watching us dismantle Toledo for our first bowl win.

I was screaming with a student section and stadium so loud Tyler Palko and Pitt couldn't get the snap off for 3 consecutive downs.

When you were in elementary school, I was storming the field for our first win against a ranked team.

No wonder you don't get it. You think 6-7, third place in the AAC east, and a loss to Marshall in a crappy bowl game is "peaking".
Lord these UConn fans...

Reaction Score

A ranked Houston team came to East Hartford with bowl eligibility on the line, not even 30k fans showed. sad.

Reaction Score
I think attendance should and will improve this year. Maybe not back to our peak years, but significantly better.

Only one I'm worried about is Tulane. But even then, if we take a big step forward and are competing for the american title, I think people will come to that.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Agreed, I relate it to the Whalers in a lot of ways, except they actually played top teams, just couldn't put a winning product out there to keep the fans on board. then when it became a reality that the pony tailed DH would move the team people showed interest again.
So you're saying we need a pony tailed DH to take over the football program and threaten moving the Huskies to North Carolina? Lol

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
The real deal here is that people in our state need to get back on board with this program under Diaco. He's 100% the right guy for the job and can help (and IS) building back this program and its exciting if anyone can. There are people I work with that I have to remind that we're actually in the American Athletic Conference (not the Big East- which no longer exsists for FB). These are casual sports fans at best. They don't have a clue who UCF is, or where Tulane is, or why playing Houston last year, beating them, and storming the field was such a big deal. The problem is getting people back on board with the excitment of UConn Football being on the national stage. That's what we had under Edsall, like it or not, he put us on the map... Back then it was possible to get to a BCS bowl (now New Year's Six) from our conference and from our gleeming new stadium in East Hartford. Today's college football landscape is vastly changed and keeps changing every month it seems. If we can make it into the Big XII it would help to soldify where we sit on the national stage and get fans (even those causal ones) back engaged again. If I'm Benidict (regardless of if we get a P5 invite or not) I stop scheduling these cupcake FCS games. Why the hell would anyone want to come out on a Thursday night (and I'm not talking people like us here) to tailgate and watch UConn play Maine or Holy Cross? What is this the late 90's all over again back at Memorial? That's the kind of small-time thinking that I think hurts us. Why not try and scheudle a FBS school- even a Sun Belt conference opponet who would come up to CT for opening night? We want to be big time (again), we need to start thinking big time again. And that all starts with us fans.

Reaction Score
I'd say the minute we are in the Big 12, the stadium comes back to life in a big way. Big time college football will draw the next tier of fan base that dissipated with the ACC raid and BE implosion. Simply put, we were competing at a national level, the rug was pulled out and an utter dolt took over the program and drove it into the gutter. The fans in Connecticut are not stupid and know a good product when they see it. They also won't pay up to see second tier conference play packaged up as something it isnt. Make no mistake, Connecticut fans will be louder and prouder than ever with a shot to return to a national stage. From where I sit, that make our fans truly special because they demand and expect excellence. That is the difference between UConn and every other program being considered. We contend for championships and won't stop until we do. In 5 years UConn will be in the top tier of the Big12 by force of will. In the meantime, until we get to the promised land, the hard core 28,000 hold the fort, and those 28,000 are amazing given the undeserved hard kicks in the pants this program has received. To sum up. Please don't tell us what we need to prove. You don't the first thing about UConn or its fans.
I agree. How would Ohio States attendance be if they were booted from the BiG and joined the MAC and noted home games were Holy Cross and Tulsa?

Reaction Score
I agree. How would Ohio States attendance be if they were booted from the BiG and joined the MAC and noted home games were Holy Cross and Tulsa?
AAC FB has been more competitive than the Big East, BE just had bigger brands...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom