Hey do you guys remember last years BSPN`s post game show? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hey do you guys remember last years BSPN`s post game show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure if you've been around long enough to notice, but that's his M.O. ESPN should be doing everything they can to help UConn just because they are a "corporate neighbor". If you want some valuable insight into college football, put some popcorn in the microwave, grab a beer, and ask him about the forward pass.

Nah, the UConn offense has been prolific over the past few years. Obviously no need to upgrade the passing attack. Other than that crazy, pass-happy, 3 game run by K. Cochran in 2013, the UConn offense has put up points at an astounding rate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pundits have said that before on various sporting events saying best team didn't win don't matter , team that wins matter.Talk is cheap.
Yeah, I hate that line. How do you measure who the best team is? What's the best metric? W/Ls? The opinion of the talking heads? Oh here's a radical idea: how about letting the kids lace 'em up and decide it on the court? UConn was the best team in the tournament last year... I've seen the trophy that says so.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I hate that line. How do you measure who the best team is? What's the best metric? W/Ls? The opinion of the talking heads? Oh here's a radical idea: how about letting the kids lace 'em up and decide it on the court? UConn was the best team in the tournament last year... I've seen the trophy that says so.

You can't realistically think that a single-elimination tournament is the most effective way to determine the best team. It's the most fun and the most profitable way to do it, but the truest way to determine the best team is to analyze the results of the entire season. I'm glad we do it this way instead, because I'm not sure that there would be as many seasons where UConn was truly the "best" team in the country by a more honest metric, and I like having four championships, but let's not get stupid here.

Reaction Score
Single elimination always guarantees an excellent team will win it, because 6 wins in a row against the top competition is excellent. But it's not designed to guarantee the best overall team wins.

Reaction Score
Single elimination always guarantees an excellent team will win it, because 6 wins in a row against the top competition is excellent. But it's not designed to guarantee the best overall team wins.

I think this is probably fair. But, at least in our case last year, we were not an excellent team going into the NCAAs. Most of our resume was established during that run. And that's fine, and I think there's a certain romance to the idea of it that adds appeal, too. But we all know who the best team in college was this year, and they weren't playing last night.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think this is probably fair. But, at least in our case last year, we were not an excellent team going into the NCAAs. Most of our resume was established during that run. And that's fine, and I think there's a certain romance to the idea of it that adds appeal, too. But we all know who the best team in college was this year, and they weren't playing last night.

Another angle: teams grow over the course of a season, especially by taking some tough losses. Having a big tournament at the end of the year allows them to show that growth. Figuring out how to deal with adversity, how to come together, how to rise up in big moments, etc.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
You can't realistically think that a single-elimination tournament is the most effective way to determine the best team. It's the most fun and the most profitable way to do it, but the truest way to determine the best team is to analyze the results of the entire season. I'm glad we do it this way instead, because I'm not sure that there would be as many seasons where UConn was truly the "best" team in the country by a more honest metric, and I like having four championships, but let's not get stupid here.
This happens in every sport, to some extent. Both Eli Manning Super Bowls, and Aaron Rodgers', were on teams that were far from the "best" for a season. The 116-win Mariners didn't win the World Series, but the 80-whatever-win Yankees from 2000 did. The NBA probably comes closest to weeding out the not-great. But it seems like only in college basketball do we regularly hear these complaints.

Reaction Score
This happens in every sport, to some extent. Both Eli Manning Super Bowls, and Aaron Rodgers', were on teams that were far from the "best" for a season. The 116-win Mariners didn't win the World Series, but the 80-whatever-win Yankees from 2000 did. The NBA probably comes closest to weeding out the not-great. But it seems like only in college basketball do we regularly hear these complaints.

I think you didn't hear about it after the 07 Super Bowl because every Patriots fan had killed him/herself.

Reaction Score
Nah, the UConn offense has been prolific over the past few years. Obviously no need to upgrade the passing attack. Other than that crazy, pass-happy, 3 game run by K. Cochran in 2013, the UConn offense has put up points at an astounding rate.

There it is. The standard disagreement with an argument absolutely nobody has ever made.

"K." Cochran? lol

Reaction Score
The best way to determine the best team is what they do in top soccer leagues. Everyone plays everyone else once at home and once on the road. The team with the best record at the end of the season is the best team. It's not feasible for anything but NBA and NHL (play eachother 4 times since the season would shorten), maybe MLB if they also played each other 6 times. It would be interesting to see if more games for everyone make up for the potential loss in playoff ratings revenue.

Reaction Score
Selective memory :rolleyes:

That all was mentioned plenty about KO. And this is also what Jay Bilas had to say about UConn after last year:

His only mistake was early whit his mid-90's label. 89-90 was the beginning!

Reaction Score
I like that idea.

Would certainly help recruiting.;)

"Hey mom! Dad! Why is there a helicopter landing in the parking lot?" - potential recruit.

"Why son, it's the awesome head coach at UConn, Kevin Ollie. He's here to take you to the promised land!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom