Hey Dan….. (merged threads) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Hey Dan….. (merged threads)

Reaction Score
This thread is hilarious. 24 hours ago, Hurley was a genius, allocating minutes correctly, and now after one loss the guy is a bum!

Yup, the tech was terrible, and I have always hated the ref bashing, it's simply flat out immature. Relax folks, he has built one of the best teams in the country.
:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I love Sanogo but do you really think he's incredible and do you think the proper allocation of minutes is happening between Sanogo and Clingan?
Yes I think he's incredible. He's got a 120 o rating for the year on like 34% shot%. He's a good shot generator. They're not all going to go in, but he's going to get a pretty good shot.

Clingan has a really positive impact on the game on both ends, but Sanogo is an engine. At times when Sanogo is out, the offense can look a little unsure. There's no plan A and recently teams have done a better job scheming for Hawkins so now often plan B is taken away, too. When he doesn't get a dunk, Clingan will have some nice moves, but will at times throw up some absolute bricks with no chance.

Sanogo didn't have a great defensive game today. But you have to roll with your dude. He took 17 shots today and made more than half of them against one of the better defenders in the country. He needed to draw a few more fouls and see a few more kickouts, but it's a road game. Can't always expect to get those whistles and the passing is a work in progress.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You're the kind of poster where the only reason I don't put you on ignore is because it makes me feel better about myself. I wonder if I'm an idiot some days--then I remember you exist.
Still doesn’t make you an idiot on some days. His idiocy is 100%.

Reaction Score
We’re a Top 2-10 team in the country because of Dan Hurley. You people realize that, right?
No ones is complaining about what he’s done up to this point. He was bad in a couple aspects this game, and the tech is unforgivable at that point in the game. He’s been a coach for how long? He needs to know better. I’ll put it this way: How often do you see opposing coaches get Tech’s against us?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Team fell in love with the 3. Not getting to the line, too much Jackson shooting. Not enough inside game.
What inside game. Haven't seen one yet. The other teams we played this year, even blowing them away, still drove on us with ease. Even today. Attack the basket. They were scoring at will on the drives.

Reaction Score
Schedule gets tougher and coaches are game planning better for us. Teams are keying in on Sanogo and Hawkins defensively and exploiting Sanogo's defense. Sanogo wore down last year and now he has a 7'2 giant behind him who rebounds better than him and shuts down the paint and you want Sanogo only 1 minute off his workload from last season.

That doesn't make sense to me.
If you don't think they'd plan for Clingan and make him look worse, I don't know. I'm with you in that he needs 5-7 more minutes a game in part to make sure that Sanogo stays fresh and for the change of pace.

Clingan is good in part because of his limited minutes. To give him too much more is to expose his freshman weaknesses. To not play him about 12-15 is just dumb.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
No ones is complaining about what he’s done up to this point. He was bad in a couple aspects this game, and the tech is unforgivable at that point in the game. He’s been a coach for how long? He needs to know better. I’ll put it this way: How often do you see opposing coaches get Tech’s against us?
You are right. The boys have beaten teams badly up to know. Those opposing coaches had a right to bitch.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The foul discrepancy stunk but we really don't have a player on the roster that searches out contact. We got out-shot from the line by LIU and Delaware St.
Newton needs to get better but he stays in the game because Diarra and Alleyne are not point guards.
After this game DH has to realize that Clingan needs to play 10+ minutes in every game.
I hope Karaban learned that if you turn sideways into contact you will get called for the foul every time.
We shot 35% from three including 3-4 in desperation time. Most were good shots in the flow of the offense.
Sucks to lose but deficiencies get exposed more in losses than wins.

Reaction Score
Listen I hear you, but that’s who Dan Hurley is. He’s as intense as it gets. Sometimes that trait will backfire like we saw today. But I’ll tell you what… if he didn’t have that fire in him, we wouldn’t have taken back the lead before halftime. His emotions are contagious and these kids play for him. Coach will learn a lesson from this one and it’ll only help us later on.

Reaction Score
This thread is hilarious. 24 hours ago, Hurley was a genius, allocating minutes correctly, and now after one loss the guy is a bum!

Yup, the tech was terrible, and I have always hated the ref bashing, it's simply flat out immature. Relax folks, he has built one of the best teams in the country.
:rolleyes:

Hurley was never a genius you’re wrong. He’s a very good recruiter and getting the job done there. But you still have to coach and he didn’t today at all. Substitutions were horrendous at best, the T was inexcusable that was all about him. His stubbornness is a killer. All you need to know:

Sanogo 33
Clingan 7

Sanogo looked lost on D, dreadful and he played him 33 minutes. The other kid has been Big East Rookie of the Week a couple times and has played 30 minutes total in the last 3 games and we haven’t been really good in any of them.

He played some zone today finally, thats good. But why not with both of them in?

Bad job today by him and some players as well. PC is waiting and can’t blame them if they’re chomping at the bit. Have to win that one McDermott owns him!

Reaction Score
Listen I hear you, but that’s who Dan Hurley is. He’s as intense as it gets. Sometimes that trait will backfire like we saw today. But I’ll tell you what… if he didn’t have that fire in him, we wouldn’t have taken back the lead before halftime. His emotions are contagious and these kids play for him. Coach will learn a lesson from this one and it’ll only help us later on.
Fire is fine, pump up your team. But the nonstop yapping at officials will and has hurt us too often. Playing close games and knowing the possibility that one bad call is gonna turn into 4 points is a liability. He needs to reflect.

Reaction Score
Yes I think he's incredible. He's got a 120 o rating for the year on like 34% shot%. He's a good shot generator. They're not all going to go in, but he's going to get a pretty good shot.

Clingan has a really positive impact on the game on both ends, but Sanogo is an engine. At times when Sanogo is out, the offense can look a little unsure. There's no plan A and recently teams have done a better job scheming for Hawkins so now often plan B is taken away, too. When he doesn't get a dunk, Clingan will have some nice moves, but will at times throw up some absolute bricks with no chance.

Sanogo didn't have a great defensive game today. But you have to roll with your dude. He took 17 shots today and made more than half of them against one of the better defenders in the country. He needed to draw a few more fouls and see a few more kickouts, but it's a road game. Can't always expect to get those whistles and the passing is a work in progress.
His scoring is great (incredible even) and they have to game plan for him defensively but there's a lot more to the game than that. Why do we have to roll with him for 33 minutes when he was sieve defensively?

Sanogo is obviously a much more skilled offensive player/scorer than Clingan at this stage but Clingan is a much better defender, he shuts down the paint and is a much better rebounder than Sanogo.

The luxury of having Clingan is that he does some of the things Sanogo isn't so great at and does them amazingly well. There's no reason Sanogo's minutes should basically be what they are last year like tzznandrew is suggesting.

Reaction Score
Fire is fine, pump up your team. But the nonstop yapping at officials will and has hurt us too often. Playing close games and knowing the possibility that one bad call is gonna turn into 4 points is a liability. He needs to reflect.
Fair enough, let’s hope he learns from this one and it pays dividends when we actually need the win.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I actually thought he looked a little tentative on his shots today.
He missed three free throws. Felt this was the first game in a while he was missing some confidence.

Reaction Score
Dan should have worked the referees harder earlier the game when the no calls against Xavier were getting a bit ridiculous, and the touch fouls for playing normal D were being whistled.

I have not problem with T but just earlier Dan not at the end of the game where it does no good at all.

I don’t sweat Xavier one bit - they won’t get this treatment again - this seaon/

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My take on some things not being commented on enough:
Hawkins was nervous this game. Three missed fouls told me all I needed to know. Not sure if anyone commented but he drove to the basket several times even with some open looks. Also gave up an open look with a pass to Alleyne.

This game was terrific and exciting until the tech. A lot of good offense. Runs by both teams and after UConn’s run to extend the lead to seven points teams kept the score close to make it anybody’s game.

Felt first sign Hurley was letting his emotions get the better of him was when he pulled Clingan on the Nunge drive by him. A better option would have been to use it as a teaching moment and put him back in after the time out. It wasn’t like Adama was dominating on either end of the floor. I’m pretty sure the substitution patterns were poor after that point.

Whether the bad reffing made Hurley lose confidence in some players that he felt he could only trust his starters or he lost his composure and didn’t coach well after that point is inconsequential. It impacted the game which up to that Clingan removal I felt he coached quite well.

Reaction Score
The T didn’t bother me so much. Refs made it clear they were not going to let X lose no matter what. DH just basically told them how he felt about it. An earlier T would have been better but to let those guys call the game they did without a T would have been just as criminal

Reaction Score
Hoping Calhoun gives him a few pointers.

Reaction Score
But will he?? He should have learned his lesson already.

Reaction Score
It's not the worst tech I've seen, he's gotten 3 or 4 that have been just as bad as that one.

Calhoun got technicals, but he never got them with 2 minutes left in a 3 point game. We're not winning anything if he can't keep his compusure in a close game.
Only part I'd agree with is that he should have gotten the T long before that point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom