Here's to coaching | The Boneyard

Here's to coaching

Reaction Score
UConn, low on talent to begin with and with crushing injuries to their few explosive players, has 3 wins and their fanbase even discussing bowl eligibility.
NFL's New York Giants, young or low on talent at a glaring majority of offensive and defensive positions, is leading the East at 4-1 after beating Green Bay.

If talent alone was the milepost, these teams would be standings-dreadful.
The difference is coaching. Too often it is dismissed as just a given - leaders who bring players together in an organized fashion to get the best out of them but with comparatively little differentiative impact across teams.

We should now realize that is a fallacy.

I could go on (which I tend to do) for paragraphs about what makes up a head coach's football work in college and pro but they all have those particularities in their job description.

The difference is how much better Mora and Daboll are at those things.
Any of you ever coach kids? Sure, many of us have. We all know what it takes to be competitive - talent being number 1. However, the difference between microfich and Mora or better put - Edsall II and Mora is how truly superb Mora is at his profession. All of the pieces are important but most recognizable is game-day performance from the entire sideline.

Daboll has proved himself a coaching wonder with the ability to create and trick, mixing the abilities his players do possess rather than cooking with the conservative and traditional recipe for loss.

So, here's to coaching. We love its taste.

Reaction Score
I think there are many positive takeaways from the coaching staff this season so far. I really give Mora and staff credit for reshaping the roster by using the portal. Obviously, it will take more time to develop the roster, but the staff saw where they needed improvement and depth and they went out and got it for this season.

And, this year's team could have rolled over with the difficult early schedule and the large number of injuries to key offensive players, but they are still playing hard. That is the sign of a good head coach and coaching staff. And, they have searched their entire roster to find players that can contribute. Two examples are Joly and Ravonte Brown. Plus, with limited QB depth, Mora and staff were able to add a QB late, Brayden Zermano.

Most important, Mora has been a great spokesperson for UConn and the football program. He comes off as straightforward, but also optimistic and motivational.

Reaction Score
And at the other end of the spectrum, the Panthers just fired Matt Rhule. He'll probably find himself back in the college ranks next year. Might have to take a coordinator position.

Reaction Score
I think there are many positive takeaways from the coaching staff this season so far. I really give Mora and staff credit for reshaping the roster by using the portal. Obviously, it will take more time to develop the roster, but the staff saw where they needed improvement and depth and they went out and got it for this season.

And, this year's team could have rolled over with the difficult early schedule and the large number of injuries to key offensive players, but they are still playing hard. That is the sign of a good head coach and coaching staff. And, they have searched their entire roster to find players that can contribute. Two examples are Joly and Ravonte Brown. Plus, with limited QB depth, Mora and staff were able to add a QB late, Brayden Zermano.

Most important, Mora has been a great spokesperson for UConn and the football program. He comes off as straightforward, but also optimistic and motivational.
Yesterday I told my son the parallels between Mora and Daboll were sort of eerie. Both took programs at their nadir and refused to call the "rebuild efforts.". It was about winning now.

Both have rebuilt their organization's culture. Both have the loyalty of their players; they're willing to run through walls for the coaching staff.

Both have delivered in ways their fans really didn't expect.

There lots of leaders. But truly great leaders are rare. IMO, Mora and Daboll are delivering in big ways so far.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Both Daboll and Mora have the ability to evaluate each players strengths and weaknesses. THey take the time to know their players. Their coaching staffs have the ability to put the players in a position to succeed. The offense and defense are developed based on these strenghts. Then they are implemented by the staff.

Both coaching staffs have shown the ability to adjust on the fly. The players believe in what is happening. They are believing they can win. Success breeds success.

It is a beautiful thing to see evolve.

Reaction Score
Yesterday I told my son the parallels between Mora and Daboll were sort of eerie. Both took programs at their nadir and refused to call the "rebuild efforts.". It was about winning now.

Both have rebuilt their organization's culture. Both have the loyalty of their players; they're willing to run through walls for the coaching staff.

Both have delivered in ways their fans really didn't expect.

There lots of leaders. But truly great leaders are rare. IMO, Mora and Daboll are delivering in big ways so far.
Daboll was a great hire by the Giants. He has had great mentors from winning systems. 11 years with Belichick, 3 years with Saban, 4 years with McDermott. Has developed/worked with Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, and Tua.

Reaction Score
And at the other end of the spectrum, the Panthers just fired Matt Rhule. He'll probably find himself back in the college ranks next year. Might have to take a coordinator position.
I think Rhule will land a P5 job - he may even be the hottest name on the market. Don't see Georgia Tech, Colorado, Nebraska, etc being able to ignore the turnarounds he had at Temple and Baylor.

Reaction Score
The quality of blocking from our offensive line has drastically improved with really the same level talent. Everyone seems to understand their roles and we have seen some gaping cutback lanes created for our running backs. It's been a long time since our line and running game has been this impressive. The same can be said for the positioning and tackling of our defense.

Reaction Score
I honestly believe that Edsall II basically threw up his hands when we moved to the NEWBIE and essentiall set football adrift. And if the rumor is true, never even discussed it with him. Informed him after the decision was made. It left him in a horrible position, and he just said screw it. Then the pandemic hit and that was the last straw.

He was no Mora, but he was a pretty solid in his first run. Better than people expected.

Reaction Score
I honestly believe that Edsall II basically threw up his hands when we moved to the NEWBIE and essentiall set football adrift. And if the rumor is true, never even discussed it with him. Informed him after the decision was made. It left him in a horrible position, and he just said screw it. Then the pandemic hit and that was the last straw.

He was no Mora, but he was a pretty solid in his first run. Better than people expected.
I think Mora has hired much better assistant coaches than Edsall. And, better coaching attracts better recruits and transfers (look at QBs). Plus, Mora is more flexible than Edsall. The portal changed the way you can turn programs around and Edsall didn't seem to embrace the portal whereas Mora has.

And, how can you have your offensive line coach become the offensive coordinator? Not only did Guifre have no experience as an OC, he couldn't focus his time on the group that needed the most help, the OL. I think Guifre could have been a good OL coach, but we'll never really know.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Edsall failed to improve/adapt, whichever you prefer. I don't think the skills that led to the first run of success left him as much as the circumstances changed and his desire faded when he couldn't land the underrated talent like he used to without the shiny new program and the BCS autobid.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yep. Just a rigid old coach hell bent making things how he wanted them to be. Portal guys had "issues" he said. Find me more guys with issues like Guidone and Bouyer-Randle every year please.
To be fair, this year's portal is very different from last year's portal, but the point about stubbornness is indisputable.

Reaction Score
Eagles 5-0
Giants could have drafted Hurts but Gettleman and all. So done with the morons running the team and that includes Mara. Finally got it right with Daboll.

Reaction Score
Yep. Just a rigid old coach hell bent making things how he wanted them to be. Portal guys had "issues" he said. Find me more guys with issues like Guidone and Bouyer-Randle every year please.
I saw Edsall jogging around campus in August 2021 right before the season started. I knew we were screwed. He looked old, skinney and clueless. Being a long time UConn football fan he was an uninspiring shell of a modern day coach. Why clueless? His inability to adjust to a changing environment. Transfers? You talking transfers?! His don't question me attitude. Always an excuse. Wait till next year! We are young.

Reaction Score
To be fair, this year's portal is very different from last year's portal, but the point about stubbornness is indisputable.
True. Portal has evolved and will continue to evolve. A program like UConn has to go in for players like Shearin and the others mentioned. Plug and play guys for a roster struggling to put capable talent on the field.

Reaction Score
I saw Edsall jogging around campus in August 2021 right before the season started. I knew we were screwed. He looked old, skinney and clueless. Being a long time UConn football fan he was an uninspiring shell of a modern day coach. Why clueless? His inability to adjust to a changing environment. Transfers? You talking transfers?! His don't question me attitude. Always an excuse. Wait till next year! We are young.
I passed Edsall jogging on campus in 2009 on my way to class. His demeanor was opposite of what your experience was. (Relatively) young, energetic, confident, and friendly. He even said hello as he passed me. I believe we were big East champs that’s season. Amazing how outdated his coaching style became between his first and second stint. Part of me thinks we only had a couple good years left no matter what, even if he stayed. I’m extremely thankful Mora and his staff are now at the helm, I really feel as though we can return to the good ol days

Reaction Score
The quality of blocking from our offensive line has drastically improved with really the same level talent. Everyone seems to understand their roles and we have seen some gaping cutback lanes created for our running backs. It's been a long time since our line and running game has been this impressive. The same can be said for the positioning and tackling of our defense.
Someone who isn’t talked about enough…cheers to Coach Sammis!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom