Here's Geno's Press Availability | The Boneyard

Here's Geno's Press Availability

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The fact that neither the players or the coaches tested positive is an extremely frustrating element of this situation. That leaves trainers, therapists, medical staff or equipment mgrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact that neither the players or the coaches tested positive is an extremely frustrating element of this situation. That leads trainers, therapists, medical staff or equipment mgrs.
You know someone broke the rules like a student manager or ? I am sure the players and coaches take it more serious .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You know someone broke the rules like a student manager or ? I am sure the players and coaches take it more serious .
Yes, that’s what is so frustrating. The players and coaches are probably living like Trappist monks, doing everything they can to get to the season, and the possibility that a staff person lets their guard down shuts down the team for 2 weeks.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Even if all personnel were living like “Trappist monks,” that doesn’t mean their spouses didn’t have to go to work or their children were holed up in the house. If it was a practice player, they still have roommates and could be going to class.

The difference here is the regularity in which they’re getting tested. In nearly all other settings, this case would likely never be detected and everyone in their circle would be unknowingly impacted.

Have some grace. I’m sure they feel awful about it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well in the interview Geno said nobody broke any rules. Like I was telling someone else on another board, taking precautions isn't gonna stop this. Taking precautions can slow it down. But, well nothing is ever going to "stop" it. Even with a vaccine and herd immunity, it will still pop up now and then. And probably like the flu, it will kill X number of people every year.

Reaction Score
Remember that some of the staff are adults, married, with children perhaps. Are they supposed to abandon their families from October to April? Or maybe a male practice player who has a room mate/girl friend?

That is fine, but at least have the decency to speak up and tell somebody that you are not willing to make the commitment needed. I'm sure Coach Auriemma would understand and find a replacement that was willing to make such sacrifices.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

They are only required to stay off Twitter(which is considered to be for "old people only" anyway), most of them are still very active on instagram.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well in the interview Geno said nobody broke any rules. Like I was telling someone else on another board, taking precautions isn't gonna stop this. Taking precautions can slow it down. But, well nothing is ever going to "stop" it. Even with a vaccine and herd immunity, it will still pop up now and then. And probably like the flu, it will kill X number of people every year.

With vaccines that are claiming 90%+ effectiveness and established herd immunity there will be very few covid related deaths. Flu deaths continue to occur in such significant numbers because the flu vaccine is only 40-60% effective.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remember that some of the staff are adults, married, with children perhaps. Are they supposed to abandon their families from October to April? Or maybe a male practice player who has a room mate/girl friend?
YES they are part of the team and should make a commitment to support the team. They should be staying away from people just like the team does. If they can't do that they shouldn't be part of the team especially this year with the virus going around.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Even if all personnel were living like “Trappist monks,” that doesn’t mean their spouses didn’t have to go to work or their children were holed up in the house. If it was a practice player, they still have roommates and could be going to class.

The difference here is the regularity in which they’re getting tested. In nearly all other settings, this case would likely never be detected and everyone in their circle would be unknowingly impacted.

Have some grace. I’m sure they feel awful about it.
A couple points. I am not aware that UConn is employing practice players this season, as a means of further reducing risk. I don’t know how the virus infected a tier 1 member at UConn, and I’m sure I never will.

Here’s what I do know, the only individual that I am around without a mask on is my wife. When we leave the house for any reason, we wear masks. We have severely limited the number of people we interact with for the time being. That includes not seeing my son’s family, my brother’s family and all of my wife’s family with the exception of her 93 year old father.

We don’t go to restaurants or any congregant settings. If we go to a public place, like a supermarket, we wear a mask, shop as quickly as we can and get out.

Living life this way is certainly not ideal, but it is most certainly necessary until we can get the majority of the country vaccinated. I would absolutely expect everyone associated with UConn WBB to take similar precautions.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
A couple points. I am not aware that UConn is employing practice players this season, as a means of further reducing risk. I don’t know how the virus infected a tier 1 member at UConn, and I’m sure I never will.

Here’s what I do know, the only individual that I am around without a mask on is my wife. When we leave the house for any reason, we wear masks. We have severely limited the number of people we interact with for the time being. That includes not seeing my son’s family, my brother’s family and all of my wife’s family with the exception of her 93 year old father.

We don’t go to restaurants or any congregant settings. If we go to a public place, like a supermarket, we wear a mask, shop as quickly as we can and get out.

Living life this way is certainly not ideal, but it is most certainly necessary until we can get the majority of the country vaccinated.

Based on some of the clips of practice that have been released, you can see the male practice players. They’re masked but the players aren’t.

And the only individual I’m unmasked around is my boyfriend (who I live with), but keeping your circle that small is only possible when you’re in a relationship and the only two living in the house.

But if I’m in college and living with a few roommates, I’m likely be unmasked around them. I go to work or class, they go to work or class, I have a significant other, they have a significant other, those significant others have roommates... your exposure bubble expands quickly.

If the person in question is a parent, think about all of the young kids in daycare while mom and dad are working. If there are older kids, most parents aren’t keeping them locked on the family compound. You ask/require/demand that they wear a mask, but I can tell you that most kids aren’t doing that 100% of the time. I work in a high school that has been in session since August, and when we left for Thanksgiving break, about 10% of our students were in quarantine for exposures. If we tested like these college athletic programs are, we would have been back to remote learning by the end of September.

So unless you create a true bubble, a la the WNBA, you’re exposed to stuff like this happening because there are so many holes in the protection based on those who aren’t part of the system.

And you know what a bubble with a hole is? A puddle.

Reaction Score
I think we all need to calm down with the accusatory tone about not following the rules. This is a very contagious virus. If people working in a hospital or EMS setting where they are provided PPE well beyond the protection provided by face masks and social distancing are getting infected, it seems to me that you can do everything "right" according to the CDC guidelines and you can still be infected. Masks and social distancing reduce exposure. They don't eliminate it.

I know we all want a basketball season but let's get real. These people's lives should not be dictated by our desire to watch a basketball game. It's not about us. It's about them. They have to deal with the consequences and I'm sure they aren't happy about it. I'm also pretty certain that those involved with the program don't have a cavalier attitude about their actions and the consequences thereof.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I know we all want a basketball season but let's get real. These people's lives should not be dictated by our desire to watch a basketball game. It's not about us. It's about them.

Thank you for saying that so clearly.

We all want a season, but not at the cost of other people's life or health.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Based on some of the clips of practice that have been released, you can see the male practice players. They’re masked but the players aren’t.

And the only individual I’m unmasked around is my boyfriend (who I live with), but keeping your circle that small is only possible when you’re in a relationship and the only two living in the house.

But if I’m in college and living with a few roommates, I’m likely be unmasked around them. I go to work or class, they go to work or class, I have a significant other, they have a significant other, those significant others have roommates... your exposure bubble expands quickly.

If the person in question is a parent, think about all of the young kids in daycare while mom and dad are working. If there are older kids, most parents aren’t keeping them locked on the family compound. You ask/require/demand that they wear a mask, but I can tell you that most kids aren’t doing that 100% of the time. I work in a high school that has been in session since August, and when we left for Thanksgiving break, about 10% of our students were in quarantine for exposures. If we tested like these college athletic programs are, we would have been back to remote learning by the end of September.

So unless you create a true bubble, a la the WNBA, you’re exposed to stuff like this happening because there are so many holes in the protection based on those who aren’t part of the system.

And you know what a bubble with a hole is? A puddle.
Well stated, and you may well be correct. Some folks are going to extraordinary lengths to protect family, friends and coworkers. Others are more cavalier. I honestly don’t know what the situation is here, and I’m reasonably certain that I will never know. I do think that when you are part of a workgroup, team, classroom, church congregation or any other congregant setting, you have the responsibility to take every reasonable precaution to protect yourself and those around you.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I think we all need to calm down with the accusatory tone about not following the rules. This is a very contagious virus. If people working in a hospital or EMS setting where they are provided PPE well beyond the protection provided by face masks and social distancing are getting infected, it seems to me that you can do everything "right" according to the CDC guidelines and you can still be infected. Masks and social distancing reduce exposure. They don't eliminate it.

I know we all want a basketball season but let's get real. These people's lives should not be dictated by our desire to watch a basketball game. It's not about us. It's about them. They have to deal with the consequences and I'm sure they aren't happy about it. I'm also pretty certain that those involved with the program don't have a cavalier attitude about their actions and the consequences thereof.
Well said, and sorely needed. Let's hope the individual does not become ill. And that the team's spirits remain positive. We simply cannot arbitrarily conclude that someone broke the rules, or wasn't dedicated enough. We know nothing yet, probably will not know more soon. I have read on this site that people are traveling to visit family and friends with whom they do not cohabitate, against clearly presented advice of experts. We have no right to criticize the UConn wbb program more harshly than we judge ourselves. Take care of yourself and others, and be solicitous for those who fall victim to this pernicious disease. Please!

Reaction Score
And if you are in Florida the college football stadiums are about 60% full with students hanging on each other. Funny surfing the games on a Saturday to see the variations state to state. In some states rules vary from county to county.

Reaction Score
YES they are part of the team and should make a commitment to support the team. They should be staying away from people just like the team does. If they can't do that they shouldn't be part of the team especially this year with the virus going around.
They should be staying away from their families? Or roommates that the university forces them to have? Or whoever they live with because that is what their living situation is?

Reaction Score
That is fine, but at least have the decency to speak up and tell somebody that you are not willing to make the commitment needed. I'm sure Coach Auriemma would understand and find a replacement that was willing to make such sacrifices.
By “commitment” are you saying they should leave their families/cohabitants for the duration of the college basketball season? If so, did UConn provide this option to all staff and practice players? If not, then it is not reasonable to even bring that kind of “commitment” up. Is Geno staying on campus? Are the other coaches? If they’re going to their respective homes then why shouldn’t other staff be able to? Practice players might have classes or roommates that they have to attend or live with and this is a university first. Everyone on the team is a student first and then an athlete.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With vaccines that are claiming 90%+ effectiveness and established herd immunity there will be very few covid related deaths.
Hopefully. But it will still probably be around.

Flu deaths continue to occur in such significant numbers because the flu vaccine is only 40-60% effective.
Well that's because there are so many strains of the flu. They only vaccinate for 3-4 each year. Hopefully they pick the most common for that particular year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well that's because there are so many strains of the flu. They only vaccinate for 3-4 each year. Hopefully they pick the most common for that particular year.
You are absolutely correct. The way it works, leading up to each flu season, the CDC monitors the flu season in the Southern Hemisphere to determine the most prevalent strains of flu active in South America and elsewhere. Subsequently, they provide direction to drug makers on which specific 3-4 strains to cover in the vaccine for the upcoming flu season. This process see-saws back and forth with the Southern Hemisphere monitoring the Northern Hemisphere during our flu season and so on.

The challenge, as you point out is that there are literally hundreds of different flu strains. Each flu season, there are potentially dozens of strains that are not covered by that season’s vaccine which become active, to a greater or lesser extent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom