Here we go...game thread UConn vs ND | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Here we go...game thread UConn vs ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
There are lots of things to say about the game, but I don't want to act bitterly. We could have won. We did not. This group of Irish players are easy to dislike. I feel terrible rooting against the Big East again in the finals, but I must.

Who is up for a trip to South Bend next year to cheer the Huskies as they begin their next 10-year dominance of Notre Dame?

Reaction Score
I hate the end of the season. Just hate it. Especially when it ends with a loss.

Love this team and all they did this year. It didn't end the way we wanted, but it is only going to end that way for one team. Many people felt UConn would struggle this year in a rebuilding year. I don't know, but 5 losses doesn't sound like that much of a struggle to me.

Other than losing Tiffany, the core will be back, one year older, wiser, more experienced and with three phenomenal recruits coming in. Yeah, they will be freshmen, but they more than fill the hole left by Tiffany's graduation.

We will be back stronger, smarter, quicker, and more balanced next year. Other teams should be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky MT, I am not watching live either continuing my tradition and honoring the mojo. I can only watch live when we play cupcakes on CPTV. Husband and I are each in our proper places doing the proper thing. I don't DARE mess with the mojo this game!!

Unfortunately our combined mojo efforts did not prevail tonight.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hate the end of the season. Just hate it. Especially when it ends with a loss.

Love this team and all they did this year. It didn't end the way we wanted, but it is only going to end that way for one team. Many people felt UConn would struggle this year in a rebuilding year. I don't know, but 5 losses doesn't sound like that much of a struggle to me.

Other than losing Tiffany, the core will be back, one year older, wiser, more experienced and with three phenomenal recruits coming in. Yeah, they will be freshmen, but they more than fill the hole left by Tiffany's graduation.

We will be back stronger, smarter, quicker, and more balanced next year. Other teams should be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

The Big Dog in WCBB is just going back to the kennel to get bigger and stronger and there is no one in WCBB coaching (and none of the 3 remaining coaches in particular) who saw that game and did not think : "Oh , just as I suspected, this was the year to get them! " Three remaining finals coaches added another thought: "Oh please God, let me get this one this year!"

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I am not going to complain about the refs. When they choose to call a game like that you can pick any play and criticize about it. Congrats to UCONN & even congrats to ND. They made their shots and Diggins' block was a big time play.

However.....I thought it was another "classy" move on Diggins' part to run up to her coach and act like an over zealous kid who just got her first bike. I understand emotions play a big part BUT you would never see a UCONN player do that near the end of the game.

GO UCONN!!!!!!!!
The Diggins block was big, but her three to tie it with Bria's hand in her face was equally as big if not bigger. It gave them hope and as soon as it went in I told my wife the game was over.

Reaction Score
what is it with this teams inability to beat ND? 2 years in a row now in the National semi's not to mention the regular season. getting old. ND has a good team once a decade but when they do, UConn has a total brain fart against them (think back to 01). just can't beat em. don't understand it.

Reaction Score
what is it with this teams inability to beat ND? 2 years in a row now in the National semi's not to mention the regular season. getting old. ND has a good team once a decade but when they do, UConn has a total brain fart against them (think back to 01). just can't beat em. don't understand it.

I think that ND has won four of the last five against UConn. I agree that UConn will reload and be tough again next year. Great game, guys.

Reaction Score

It's that pesky NCAA rule that says you can only keep your players for four years. Sometimes, even with a program as good as ours, things set up better for the other team. They had more seniors/upperclassmen and I think they were a little better than us this year - today wasn't a brain fart (other than Geno/Bria on the turnover when we didn't pull it out for the last shot, which became inconsequential) it just came down to a rebound in the paint that went their way to force overtime.

And think of what happened in OT - we were up 3, Diggins had her 3 rattle in, and then Faris' rattled out (and KML was sitting underneath the basket hoping to get the rebound, but it stayed on the rim too long). Then Diggins not only made the block on Bria, but it somehow hit the bottom of the backboard and stayed in bounds, and they made a 3 the other way. That's a 6-point swing and a 5-point swing.

But don't worry - if you have to point to 2001 as the last time that ND got the better of us, and it's now 2012, we're doing OK.

Reaction Score
It's that pesky NCAA rule that says you can only keep your players for four years. Sometimes, even with a program as good as ours, things set up better for the other team. They had more seniors/upperclassmen and I think they were a little better than us this year - today wasn't a brain fart (other than Geno/Bria on the turnover when we didn't pull it out for the last shot, which became inconsequential) it just came down to a rebound in the paint that went their way to force overtime.

And think of what happened in OT - we were up 3, Diggins had her 3 rattle in, and then Faris' rattled out (and MML was sitting underneath the basket hoping to get the rebound, but it stayed on the rim too long). Then Diggins not only made the block on Bria, but it somehow hit the bottom of the backboard and stayed in bounds, and they made a 3 the other way. That's a 6-point swing and a 5-point swing.

Yeah my first thought after those plays: "Sometimes, the bounces just don't go your way." Kelly-KML thing killed me; her shot misses by a smidge, and then KML was in perfect position for a put back. Alas.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not the reason we lost, but ND hasn't lost two players that would have made a difference for them. Add EDD and Samarie to this team and ND doesn't have a winning record against UConn. Also ND has gotten fortunate to have two 5th Years Seniors in Peters and Mallory who scored 28 points in tonight's game. Novasel their other senior scored 20 points. The three ND seniors scored 48 of their 83 points tonight. UConn's one senior scored 10 points. Senior leadership made a big difference in this game. The young pups of UConn almost pulled it out.

Reaction Score

ND has 2 5th year seniors, an additional senior, and a junior All American.

Reaction Score
The refs should have called a charge on Diggins which resulted in Novosel's putback. The game would have ended in regulation with a UConn win if that had been called. But, the refs suck all the time. Nothing new there, no point placing the blame on them. We didn't make the shots in overtime we needed to make, some key turnovers and two killer threes by Mallory.

I am so sad 1) that we lost and 2) that I have to watch nd again on Tuesday night. If they win the NC, I just might puke.

Exactly that was the non-call that cost the game. In this case quite accurately and literally. Should have been our ball out of bounds and the game over. It would even have been better for us if they had called the foul on us and forced SDig to make two from the line.

1. It was not a charge. If anything , the foul was on Doty. She was still moving when Diggins took off.
2. I fully agree that putting Diggins on the line may have worked out better for UConn
3. Unless it is blatantly obvious, the officials are not going to make a call that affects the outcome, especially that call.

Reaction Score
The Big Dog in WCBB is just going back to the kennel to get bigger and stronger and there is no one in WCBB coaching (and none of the 3 remaining coaches in particular) who saw that game and did not think : "Oh , just as I suspected, this was the year to get them! " Three remaining finals coaches added another thought: "Oh please God, let me get this one this year!"

Baylor is going to be pretty good next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom