Here’s a scenario | The Boneyard

Here’s a scenario

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You’re some UConn opponent. You start the game full of energy and go right at the Huskies. But Nika keeps getting in your face, Azzi’s nailing shots from wherever she wants, Christyn is zooming through the paint for back door cuts, Aaliyah is dominating the territory 3’ from the hoop, and Liv is handing out dimes from the top of the key.

You play your brains out for 10 minutes, playing at 100% effort to keep the game within 10-12 points. You’re starting to tire but then you gratefully notice Nika, Azzi, Christyn, and Aaliyah head to the bench - only to see Paige, Evina, Caroline, and Dorka come in, fresh and ready to take it to you.

I’m loving the hockey line changes. Late in the game yesterday, the Villanova kids were sucking wind and a rested lineup came in off the UConn bench. The ‘Nova players didn’t wilt but there were a couple discouraged looks here and there.

Reaction Score
I would agree that the best Geno has had, even in his championship years, was maybe seven deep. The difference in those years was that those teams were so well conditioned that even with half time, those teams would eventually wear any opponent down, even if they were able to keep up in the first half. The great thing that we’re seeing now is that this team is finally sustaining their defensive intensity. Azzi and Caroline are fantastic bonuses and Nika can get a break after an aggressive start so she doesn’t foul out. Like Geno joked in a recent interview, Nika tries to get at least one foul before she gets to the game and then another in warmups. I love her intensity and it’s great that the big east recognized that with her defensive award

Reaction Score
Geno normally played a 6 or 7 player rotation through the years. With this kind of talent it is feasible to play all of the 9 key players.

From my perspective, the old game style was to give Paige the ball and let her shoot. I watched the other players stand around and watch Paige or watch the game. Since Paige was injured, the other players had to come to play and Geno with no choice had to play the other players. Frankly, I like watching this group of talent play in the "hockey" style of rotation. I think that he will keep more players if his talented players get to play like this.

I do not know who is coming in next season and where they fit, but this syle of management will allow these young people to get engaged and play to their full level of potential. If I recall, Doug Bruno plays this was and he has had a modest amount of success in the BE after their was no UConn. I for one would like to see this continue for player development and UConn success.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It's an interesting conundrum of whether it's a physical or mental impact of having Paige, Evina, Caroline, and Dorka as a second wave? For the last 8 games, UConn has kept the opponent under 20 points in the first half. I don't know how a coach preps a game plan for the 2nd wave if what they have to counter it isn't a full 4 subs in?

And, now that the players have commented about Geno saying that this is "UConn basketball" and they understand what that means, the underclassmen can impart that wisdom to next year's freshmen, as they have seen it and done it. Anyone can watch a game and say, wow, that's UConn basketball, however until one experiences it and mental/muscle memory it, it doesn't mean a thing.

Reaction Score
I think it's great with all the players being available, but I have the sense that Geno has not yet become comfortable with the 9 player rotation.

Reaction Score
2001. Before the late season injuries he was bringing Asjha Jones and Tamika Williams off the bench. And some guard named Diana.
Ahh, that's right--what a team that was!

Reaction Score
It’s a luxury that few if any coach enjoys. I just hope he doesn’t feel the need to carve it down to fewer players. Looking at the MP in the box score gives me more pleasure than looking at the points scored.

Geno said something last night when they received the Trophy that surprised me a little but I was glad to hear it. He said - to the seniors- you now have 3 weeks to build a legacy for yourselves. (No quotes because Im not sure of the exact wording.) that was a clear message. No more FF and go home. This is the year we cut down the nets. He knows he has the players to win it all and he expects nothing less.

Reaction Score
I would agree that the best Geno has had, even in his championship years, was maybe seven deep. The difference in those years was that those teams were so well conditioned that even with half time, those teams would eventually wear any opponent down, even if they were able to keep up in the first half.
Another difference in those years was that the overall conditioning of our competition was not at the level it is today. The bar for conditioning as well as athleticism has risen greatly in women's basketball since then, IMO.

Reaction Score
This has to be demoralizing for any player to be playing 100% wear yourself out only to have fresh players come off the bench and wear you completely down.

Here’s the other side of this sword - the first 4 players off the floor (Azzi, CW, Nika, ONO) are hitting and have you up by 9…when they come back they are cold and start missing shots. Then you take them back off for players in rotation 2 which also start missing. Now you’re completely off balance because players can’t stay in a shooting rhythm and the other team builds momentum and starts crawling back. Do I think it will happen to us…not likely with the amount of talent but it’s a very dangerous proposition. I trust coach to see this coming but it is a real possibility when you have 9 starters.

Reaction Score
Many thought from the start of the season we had the possibility of wearing out other team's starters with our bench. Only now late in the year are we starting to see the difference it makes, now that we have all but Aubrey ready to go. Our starters go full tilt from the beginning, very intense, lots of pressing. That wears out both our starters and theirs, which plays to our advantage.

Suppose for example they would like to play their starters about 30 minutes and their bench around 10. But we play a much harder paced game which wears on their starters. Their coach could still play their starters 30 minutes and have them tired at the end, or reduce the starters minutes say to 25 and increase the bench to around 15.

Our starters are usually significantly better than our opponents, but the difference between our bench and most opponents is even greater. The more the game is our bench against theirs, the bigger our advantage, and the aggressive all out style forces teams to either use their bench more than they want, or have their starters play many minutes tired against very good fresh players on our side whether they are starters or not.

Since Geno has seen what a difference it makes so clearly in recent games, I am hopeful that when the big games are on the line, that Geno will not fall back on his tendency for short rotations. I don't think he will because this clearly is working.

Reaction Score
You play your brains out for 10 minutes, playing at 100% effort to keep the game within 10-12 points. You’re starting to tire but then you gratefully notice Nika, Azzi, Christyn, and Aaliyah head to the bench only to see - Paige, Evina, Caroline, and Dorka come in, fresh and ready to take it to you.
Throw in Aubrey Griffin to that fearsome four, if she was healthy, and it is mind blowing.

Reaction Score
All the Srs. are entitled to an extra year due to covid, right? I wonder if the NCAA is considering expanding the roster size to accommodate the senior who want that extra year with the incoming recruiting class.

Reaction Score
Since Geno has seen what a difference it makes so clearly in recent games, I am hopeful that when the big games are on the line, that Geno will not fall back on his tendency for short rotations. I don't think he will because this clearly is working.
He might. In this game he had Fudd play 36 and AE play 31. What do you think will happen next year when Paige is healthy?

The thing is, there will be many blowout, so he won't have ot force games in which he needs starters to play often. That has bene the biggest issue the past few years.

His team wasn't blowing out teams early enough.
Or
The gap between 5-7 players was enormous vs players 8, 9-10 players.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Geno has not coached a close game since everyone is back. It remains to be seen if Geno will be so quick to rotate players in a tight or God forbid, losing game.

Reaction Score
How wonderful to hear the “Chairperson of The Board” posting happy things…as opposed to telling us all to stay in line ! We all get antsy waiting for the Dance to start but this promises to be a wonderful week in Husky Nation.

Reaction Score
I'm an old guy, so I remember when Geno would substitute 5 players at a time. Back when the sports commentators were saying UConn had two of the top three teams in the country. Those were the good old days!

Reaction Score
Evina has become a real spark since she is coming off the bench. She has had a scorers mentality. Geno suprised me when he took her out quickly from the first substitution even though she was playing well. What he had up is sleeve is from the end of the third and into the 4th Evina has been zooming up the court similar to Henderson from SC and if no one stops her she just keeps going. She been bombing 3 balls and stealing inbound passes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He might. In this game he had Fudd play 36 and AE play 31. What do you think will happen next year when Paige is healthy?

The thing is, there will be many blowout, so he won't have ot force games in which he needs starters to play often. That has bene the biggest issue the past few years.

His team wasn't blowing out teams early enough.
Or
The gap between 5-7 players was enormous vs players 8, 9-10 players.
IMO having either Azzi or Paige in the game means that they must be guarded. Now, the opponent can’t pack the paint and slow down the post players.

Aaliyah played so many minutes because she was doing a spectacular job guarding Maddy Siegrist. She was the most effective of all that rotated on Maddy.

Reaction Score
the one thing this year's team is missing is real end to end speed............imagine if Aubrey was able to play at 100%........I think by the middle of the fourth quarter a few of UConn's opponents would just hand the ball to the ref and head for the locker room........

Reaction Score
This has to be demoralizing for any player to be playing 100% wear yourself out only to have fresh players come off the bench and wear you completely down.

Here’s the other side of this sword - the first 4 players off the floor (Azzi, CW, Nika, ONO) are hitting and have you up by 9…when they come back they are cold and start missing shots. Then you take them back off for players in rotation 2 which also start missing. Now you’re completely off balance because players can’t stay in a shooting rhythm and the other team builds momentum and starts crawling back. Do I think it will happen to us…not likely with the amount of talent but it’s a very dangerous proposition. I trust coach to see this coming but it is a real possibility when you have 9 starters.
They have to learn through practice and games to be able to stay ready to play when subbed. The seniors will soon be in the wnba and the pros rarely play 35+ minutes a game. It's called maturity and professionalism.

Reaction Score
I'm an old guy, so I remember when Geno would substitute 5 players at a time. Back when the sports commentators were saying UConn had two of the top three teams in the country. Those were the good old days!
Bob Picozzi would always say that Geno just tied the NCAA record for the most substitutions following a time out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom