Herbst's Elevator Speech | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst's Elevator Speech

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
One of the challenges is that these University Presidents are all part of an elitist club, and there are unwritten rules. One of them is that they never say anything bad about each other. UConn is the best choice, we could show it, but we'd come across as crass and we'd break unwritten rules.
Like, say – oh I don't know – UCF?

Reaction Score
No one on this board is even remotely aware of the overall strategy being implemented by Herbst, Bennedict, etc. round CR. To draw conclusions on Herbst's public statements is pure speculation. I guess when you have loads of time to post on internet message boards you spend a lot of time speculating, but make no mistake about it, that's all it is ...........speculation.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Nice read.
Post it in the Hartford Courant article responses area.

Reaction Score
No one on this board is even remotely aware of the overall strategy being implemented by Herbst, Bennedict, etc. round CR. To draw conclusions on Herbst's public statements is pure speculation. I guess when you have loads of time to post on internet message boards you spend a lot of time speculating, but make no mistake about it, that's all it is ......speculation.

Welcome to Reddit 2.0

Reaction Score
I would have been fine with any version of "We know what the data says, and so does the Big 12. Ultimately it's their decision, but we are confident that the data supports our inclusion."

Telling the fan base to get over themselves was plain stupid.
At least she is confident inclusion is imminent in some conference. Somehow. I mean, we're winners. Amirite?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Will everyone please stop making new threads and posting? All this conversation is really upsetting sportsart - and he doesn't like the things you are saying and it is giving him the sadz.

You punks all just need to be grateful for what you have. There are starving kids in Asia that don't even get to see Tulane play.

Reaction Score
Will everyone please stop making new threads and posting? All this conversation is really upsetting sportsart - and he doesn't like the things you are saying and it is giving him the sadz.

You punks all just need to be grateful for what you have. There are starving kids in Asia that don't even get to see Tulane play.
Kids are starving outside Tulane's campus, though!

Reaction Score

I so much love to watch you pollute this board. You are embarrassing yourself in so many ways. To think you could do a better job than SH is beyond hilarious. Her business acumen is not even in the same universe that your omnipotent self resides.

Please continue. There are at least 5 other threads waiting for your response. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I so much love to watch you pollute this board. You are embarrassing yourself in so many ways. To think you could do a better job than SH is beyond hilarious. Her business acumen is not even in the same universe that your omnipotent self resides.

Please continue. There are at least 5 other threads waiting for your response. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You think her statements were better than the post Whaler made? He actually sold UConn and highlighted our successes, she didn't.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Since you are wrong just about 100% of the time - thanks for the compliment.

LOL at her business acumen. She can't even get through an interview with the Courant.

Things are headed right where you want them to be Art. About 10k at the Rent and you can all give each other handies about what great fans you are. We are headed to the Pop Warner reality you have been dreaming of.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You think her statements were better than the post Whaler made? He actually sold UConn and highlighted our successes, she didn't.

She saves all that business razzle dazzle for when people can't see.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Since you are wrong just about 100% of the time - thanks for the compliment.

LOL at her business acumen. She can't even get through an interview with the Courant.

Things are headed right where you want them to be Art. About 10k at the Rent and you can all give each other handies about what great fans you are. We are headed to the Pop Warner reality you have been dreaming of.

You're making 2014 football season Whaler look enjoyable to read.

Have you been hitting up August for some mother nature lately? Because you don't seem to be grounded in reality.

Reaction Score
She doesn't need to market us, really. It's obvious who UConn is when we are now making the NCAA tournament almost every damn year. She's said the athletic department is the front porch, she lets the AD do the talking. Just some thoughts. Trying to market us apart from ideas posted on billboards, etc, would come off as desperate. Many UConn students don't go there because of the athletic department.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're making 2014 football season Whaler look enjoyable to read.

Have you been hitting up August for some mother nature lately? Because you don't seem to be grounded in reality.

Your point being? Don't ask questions about the approach? Don't have the nerve to question the administration? Don't point out how stupid her comments were?

Just be a true believing zombie - and ignore everything I see - trust all is well behind the scenes.

In short that is as naive and clueless as SH is about the fan base.

That pretty much no one has an argument but to attack personally pretty much tells you all you need to know.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Your point being? Don't ask questions about the approach? Don't have the nerve to question the administration? Don't point out how stupid her comments were?

Just be a true believing zombie - and ignore everything I see - trust all is well behind the scenes.

In short that is as naive and clueless as SH is about the fan base.

That pretty much no one has an argument but to attack personally pretty much tells you all you need to know.
Lol, great OP and then the thread devolved in more a traditional Whaler posts...

Reaction Score
I'll do my best to leave out the profanity that I completely want to include:

The University of Connecticut appreciates the relationships and athletic rivalries that we have developed with the members of the American Athletic Conference, however we understand that the Big XII conference is considering expanding and I feel that UConn as an academic and athletic institution is a perfect fit.

The strength of the UConn athletic family is evident in our men's basketball program. After Hall of Fame coach Jim Calhoun led the program to three national championships, he hand-groomed successor Kevin Ollie delivered number 4 in the last 20 years. When Hall of Fame coach Geno Auriemma isn't leading Team USA to gold at the Rio Olympics, he is in Storrs working towards his 11th national championship. Our football program had great success immediately - winning two Big East championships. When our results weren't where we demand at UConn, we moved quickly to hire the Bob Diaco who had recently won the Browles Award as the top coordinator in all of college football.

The cities of Hartford and New Haven represent the 30th largest television market in the country. Beyond Central and Eastern Connecticut, we Huskies have many alumni and a strong following in Fairfield County. UConn's long history with the Big East tournament as well as two major regional New York Sports Television networks have helped to grow the interest and the fan base in the NYC metropolis. Adding UConn to the Big 12 would give it's member institutions visability from Northern New Jersey through Greater Boston - giving schools the potential to play UConn in front of their Northeast alumni in large population centers.

The University of Connecticut continues to have tremendous support from our state legislature. While many states have cut funding for higher education, UConn continues to receive the budget it needs to drive the state's economy into the future. This unwavering support has allowed UConn to accept record applications while moving up in many prestigious ranking systems.

As a university and athletic department UConn has risen to every challenge. Our academics, athletic results, alumni and fanbase are all worthy of the Big XII conference. We understand there are many worthy candidates for inclusion, but there is not an institution that combines academics and athletic prowess at the Big XII level as well as UConn.

That's excellent ...

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score

Could you refrain from calling people you most likely do not know,punks?I am pretty sure you would not want to be the on the other end of that name substitute.Let us be a little more upstanding,please.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Could you refrain from calling people you most likely do not know,punks?I am pretty sure you would not want to be the on the other end of that name substitute.Let us be a little more upstanding,please.

Since it was lost on you I was writing that post from sportsart's perspective based on how he lectures us.

I apologize for him however - I hope he can learn to be more supportive of fans who may think differently than he does.

Reaction Score
The irony in all of this bragging about being winners is that we are losing the biggest game of them all.
Precisely what some "old money" schools have been hoping, but now that can't happen, since we now have an AD of historical value. I am sure she knows she is dealing with pompous mofos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom