Herbst's Elevator Speech | The Boneyard

Herbst's Elevator Speech

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'll do my best to leave out the profanity that I completely want to include:

The University of Connecticut appreciates the relationships and athletic rivalries that we have developed with the members of the American Athletic Conference, however we understand that the Big XII conference is considering expanding and I feel that UConn as an academic and athletic institution is a perfect fit.

The strength of the UConn athletic family is evident in our men's basketball program. After Hall of Fame coach Jim Calhoun led the program to three national championships, he hand-groomed successor Kevin Ollie delivered number 4 in the last 20 years. When Hall of Fame coach Geno Auriemma isn't leading Team USA to gold at the Rio Olympics, he is in Storrs working towards his 11th national championship. Our football program had great success immediately - winning two Big East championships. When our results weren't where we demand at UConn, we moved quickly to hire the Bob Diaco who had recently won the Browles Award as the top coordinator in all of college football.

The cities of Hartford and New Haven represent the 30th largest television market in the country. Beyond Central and Eastern Connecticut, we Huskies have many alumni and a strong following in Fairfield County. UConn's long history with the Big East tournament as well as two major regional New York Sports Television networks have helped to grow the interest and the fan base in the NYC metropolis. Adding UConn to the Big 12 would give it's member institutions visability from Northern New Jersey through Greater Boston - giving schools the potential to play UConn in front of their Northeast alumni in large population centers.

The University of Connecticut continues to have tremendous support from our state legislature. While many states have cut funding for higher education, UConn continues to receive the budget it needs to drive the state's economy into the future. This unwavering support has allowed UConn to accept record applications while moving up in many prestigious ranking systems.

As a university and athletic department UConn has risen to every challenge. Our academics, athletic results, alumni and fanbase are all worthy of the Big XII conference. We understand there are many worthy candidates for inclusion, but there is not an institution that combines academics and athletic prowess at the Big XII level as well as UConn.

Reaction Score

The University of Connecticut appreciates the relationships and athletic rivalries that we have developed with the members of the American Athletic Conference, however we understand that the Big XII conference is considering expanding and I feel that UConn as an academic and athletic institution is a perfect fit.

The strength of the UConn athletic family is evident in our men's basketball program. After Hall of Fame coach Jim Calhoun led the program to three national championships, he hand-groomed successor Kevin Ollie delivered number 4 in the last 20 years. When Hall of Fame coach Geno Auriemma isn't leading Team USA to gold at the Rio Olympics, he is in Storrs working towards his 11th national championship. Our football program had great success immediately - winning two Big East championships. When our results weren't where we demand at UConn, we moved quickly to hire the Bob Diaco who had recently won the Browles Award as the top coordinator in all of college football.

The cities of Hartford and New Haven represent the 30th largest television market in the country. Beyond Central and Eastern Connecticut, we Huskies have many alumni and a strong following in Fairfield County. UConn's long history with the Big East tournament as well as two major regional New York Sports Television networks have helped to grow the interest and the fan base in the NYC metropolis. Adding UConn to the Big 12 would give it's member institutions visability from Northern New Jersey through Greater Boston - giving schools the potential to play UConn in front of their Northeast alumni in large population centers.

The University of Connecticut continues to have tremendous support from our state legislature. While many states have cut funding for higher education, UConn continues to receive the budget it needs to drive the state's economy into the future. This unwavering support has allowed UConn to accept record applications while moving up in many prestigious ranking systems.

As a university and athletic department UConn has risen to every challenge. Our academics, athletic results, alumni and fanbase are all worthy of the Big XII conference. We understand there are many worthy candidates for inclusion, but there is not an institution that combines academics and athletic prowess at the Big XII level as well as UConn.

Good job!

Reaction Score

lol we should all email this to Herbst

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Also, "Please pay one billion dollars to the Big 12 to take us, a cloistered religious school that runs secret sex police, a school from a city that puts chili on spaghetti and a glorified commuter school" and you're golden.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Also, "Please pay one billion dollars to the Big 12 to take us, a cloistered religious school that runs secret sex police, a school from a city that puts chili on spaghetti and a glorified commuter school" and you're golden.

According to media reports - there isn't any choice for the networks to pay for anyone they choose to expand with. Now the Big 12 might not have the stomach for the lawsuits, but unless everything reported is wrong there isn't any convincing that needs to be done. If it did there wouldn't be any expansion at all - because they don't want to pay half a billion for any two schools either.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
According to media reports - there isn't any choice for the networks to pay for anyone they choose to expand with. Now the Big 12 might not have the stomach for the lawsuits, but unless everything reported is wrong there isn't any convincing that needs to be done. If it did there wouldn't be any expansion at all - because they don't want to pay half a billion for any two schools either.
Fine, then they have to convince themselves that they'll still be able to get a good deal in 2024 from the same people they're going to take a billion dollars from, for getting those four schools, and that Texas and Oklahoma will still hang around to help the ISU's and KSU's (and Houston and whoever) to see how it turns out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fine, then they have to convince themselves that they'll still be able to get a good deal in 2024 from the same people they're going to take a billion dollars from, for getting those four schools, and that Texas and Oklahoma will still hang around to help the ISU's and KSU's (and Houston and whoever) to see how it turns out.

Certainly - but how is that an excuse for not selling yourself? How is that an excuse for the leadership to not own conference affiliation?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
image.gif

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Certainly - but how is that an excuse for not selling yourself? How is that an excuse for the leadership to not own conference affiliation?
Because they did/are selling UConn to the Big 12, just not publicly. Everything you wrote in your OP and more has been communicated through non-FOIA channels. Does anyone seriously believe that's not the case? (Eh... don't answer that) We're arguing over what we always argue over, which is which particular sound byte the president should give to the fan base (and I guess, potential fans) about how bad the AAC sucks and we really really want out of it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because they did/are selling UConn to the Big 12, just not publicly. Everything you wrote in your OP and more has been communicated through non-FOIA channels. Does anyone seriously believe that's not the case? (Eh... don't answer that) We're arguing over what we always argue over, which is which particular sound byte the president should give to the fan base (and I guess, potential fans) about how bad the AAC sucks and we really really want out of it.

Two questions then if what you are saying is true.

1. How does pretending you aren't selling the school help - it clearly annoys at least some percentage of your fanbase?
2. Why hide behind non-FOIA channels? What is the harm in making it clear you are confident that UConn deserves to be part of the Big 12 and trying to sell that?

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Two questions then if what you are saying is true.

1. How does pretending you aren't selling the school help - it clearly annoys at least some percentage of your fanbase?
2. Why hide behind non-FOIA channels? What is the harm in making it clear you are confident that UConn deserves to be part of the Big 12 and trying to sell that?
Forget the head line, re-read the piece carefully.

I don't see where people are getting "pretending you aren't selling the school" from her quotes.

ECU is making it clear they are confident they deserve to be a part of the Big 12. How's that going to work out for them?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I don't see where people are getting "pretending you aren't selling the school" from her quotes.

ECU is making it clear they are confident they deserve to be a part of the Big 12. How's that going to work out for them?

Hiding behind FOIA and not making public comments creates the perception that you aren't selling the school. What's the benefit of that?

ECU isn't selling the same product that UConn is, there is no correlation to be drawn between them and UConn.

I'd still rather embarrass myself like ECU than watch our administration do everything in their power to not take responsibility.

Reaction Score

ECU is ECU, that's why it won't work. UConn has a superb athletic history. If you got it flaunt it.

Also CT is an actual state East Carolina is made up.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Hiding behind FOIA and not making public comments creates the perception that you aren't selling the school. What's the benefit of that?
First, thanks for pointing out what we are actually talking about - perception.

Perception can be a factor, over the long-term for branding, etc. In the short term, perceptions of UConn's realignment efforts affect... UConn fans and not much else.

What good comes of discretion? It makes you look trustworthy to other presidents. Not everybody does business that way, and yes, I think Herbst could do a better job of balancing that with rallying the fan base in this particular case. But I honestly think the secrecy was done very, very deliberately for the express purpose of positioning UConn for CR. It may not be enough, and there may never be another window, but if there is one, it partially erases the effect of the lawsuit that people here love so much.

Ever since Ono stepped away to UNC, Cincy has been about as quiet as UConn (The interim prez tweeted a pic of Oscar Robinsons #12 jersey, but that's been about it). They are certainly giving the same appearance of not publicly begging.

Also... pretty sure the much derided "we win championships" sound byte qualifies as confidence that we deserve to be a part of whatever power conference. People have a knack for getting upset over things being said in president-speak instead of coach-speak. Maybe Herbst should have tweeted pictures of the championship trophies to Greg Fenves instead of taking to the Courant and everybody would be satisfied.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First, thanks for pointing out what we are actually talking about - perception.

Perception can be a factor, over the long-term for branding, etc. In the short term, perceptions of UConn's realignment efforts affect... UConn fans and not much else.

What good comes of discretion? It makes you look trustworthy to other presidents. Not everybody does business that way, and yes, I think Herbst could do a better job of balancing that with rallying the fan base in this particular case. But I honestly think the secrecy was done very, very deliberately for the express purpose of positioning UConn for CR. It may not be enough, and there may never be another window, but if there is one, it partially erases the effect of the lawsuit that people here love so much.

Ever since Ono stepped away to UNC, Cincy has been about as quiet as UConn (The interim prez tweeted a pic of Oscar Robinsons #12 jersey, but that's been about it). They are certainly giving the same appearance of not publicly begging.

Also... pretty sure the much derided "we win championships" sound byte qualifies as confidence that we deserve to be a part of whatever power conference. People have a knack for getting upset over things being said in president-speak instead of coach-speak. Maybe Herbst should have tweeted pictures of the championship trophies to Greg Fenves instead of taking to the Courant and everybody would be satisfied.

How would saying things similar to my original post in this thread make her seem untrustworthy?

How has she not learned talking points that don't infuriate some of the fanbase. She wants these people to spend money on the programs right? Why does she show such disinterest in giving them something?

Again it's a sales job. Just having confidence is nice - but her comments today are actually the opposite of confidence. Even fishy admits she is managing expectations.

Reaction Score

You left out a bunch of stuff but still a million times better than anything we've heard from our leadership. I've been a Herbst fan since day one but I've been having more and more concerns. I figured she must be doing everything it takes behind the scenes and just keeping silent at the request of the Big 12. Her statements today leave me a bit shell-shocked and feeling defeated. Calhoun and Geno built something so incredibly special here and I'm so damned scared our leadership is going to destroy so much of their hard work. I'm not trying to sound hyperbolic but it's scary when our fanbase puts out way more serious statements than our leadership.

Reaction Score

ECU is a hellhole. We offer more than any school out there and how has not selling our strengths publicly worked out for us so far? How do you think it will work out for us this round of expansion?

Reaction Score
Why is my last post awaiting moderator approval? No swear words, no offensive comments, just voicing my concerns with our leadership. Please tell me I'm not being censored for questioning our leadership.

pj

Reaction Score

This is good for a tall building -- 40 stories. Do you have one for a 3 story elevator?

Reaction Score
I would have been fine with any version of "We know what the data says, and so does the Big 12. Ultimately it's their decision, but we are confident that the data supports our inclusion."

Telling the fan base to get over themselves was plain stupid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
One of the challenges is that these University Presidents are all part of an elitist club, and there are unwritten rules. One of them is that they never say anything bad about each other. UConn is the best choice, we could show it, but we'd come across as crass and we'd break unwritten rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom