Herbst to Address Alumni re: Conf Realignment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst to Address Alumni re: Conf Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I don't think this is anything significant, but I was discussing all the rumor mongering and lack of communication (and PR) coming out of UConn regarding conference realignment with a high placed contact there. I specifically asked her if Herbst had someone on her staff dedicated full-time to conf realignment and if not, why not.

The contact responded that Herbst has a planned communication to alumni to discuss the situation and it was all set to go out on Friday -- then Sandy Hook happened. Out of respect, she has postponed the communication, likely until later this week.

Again, I don't expect anything particularly new/different, but I did want to mention that this contact wanted me to know that Herbst et al are thinking about this and aware of the perception among alumni. That doesn't mean she can make it rain -- but I that the lack of communication is based on other circumstances.

What did they say specifically about your question on PR? There is a difference between a letter to alumni (we are on board) and PR (to those that aren't). More importantly, are they aware of that difference?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Smart press release. Basically they are updating the bathrooms and concessions and maybe adding a few boxes...yet press runs with a stadium expansion story that likely won't add more than a hundred seats. Hopefully Susan releases plans for new elevators at the rent that we can pump for 48 hours and hype our 40k modern stadium that doesn't need a facelift but only an addition.

Exactly...after they fix it, it still won't be as nice as ours.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'd like to know when she is going to address the BY with email. I'm not talking about restraing order (HFD) type language stuff.
As much as they had to throw up the disclaimer that the UConn Association is not affiliated with the BY, and I get it - I hope some eyes were opened with the collection for the heart pump in honor of JC. I'm not saying they need to address us specifically, I just hope that they realize that this is where the school's most passionate and loyal fanbase congregates, and engaging with your most passionate customers to get a pulse on things now and then isn't a bad thing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So, basically, Cincy is going to try to raise money to make their stadium sorta like the Rent.

I look forward to their next presser where they hail their decision to switch concessions from Coke to Pepsi.

Reaction Score
I wasn't told exactly what Herbst would say and I didn't think it would be productive to pester this person. I was told an email would be out "later this week".

As I said, I don't imagine it will be anything truly new, but hopefully sheds some light on where we are and what she is thinking. Stay tuned.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I wasn't told exactly what Herbst would say and I didn't think it would be productive to pester this person. I was told an email would be out "later this week".

As I said, I don't imagine it will be anything truly new, but hopefully sheds some light on where we are and what she is thinking. Stay tuned.
Appreciate ya sharing any nuggets of info you've got, large or small.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score

Appreciate the info Wharton. And if that is where you went to school...maybe some of your friends (or yourself) want to do a little pro bono work? :)

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Ironically for Temple and USF their problem may be the largeness of their stadiums. Look no further than MLS for some perspective on the viability of down-scaling.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the info Wharton. And if that is where you went to school...maybe some of your friends (or yourself) want to do a little pro bono work? :)

I did get my MBA from Wharton (undergrad UConn), so I know full well what it's like to watch Ivy League sports -- and I don't want that for UConn.

Trust me when I tell you that I do PLENTY of pro-bono work for the Huskies (mostly fundraising), but if you get us into the B1G, I will work my off raising money to expand the Rent -- and I imagine it wouldn't be too hard.

Reaction Score
Something isn't adding up - it's just so strange.

SH is no dummy and nobody can convince me her silence is from ineptitude. Ths is a lady whose background is in political science, public opinion and communication theory. She should be running circles around these issues.

It clearly appears to me that someone/somebody is pulling the puppet strings here preventing what the masses here are begging to hear from being said.(BOT??, Confidentiality Agrrement??).

Reaction Score
I agree it wont be anything signficant. It will likely be another way of saying we are winners and we like to win or we are monitoring the situation.
Not much else she can say.

Reaction Score
I'll go even further.

It isn't just the silence. It's also Herbst the day before louisville being added being quoted as saying no comment re acc, invite etc., but a lone nonsensical, focus on s-a's and everything will be ok.

And then the day that louisville was added, she put out a statement- not an off the cuff remark- about we are winners, and once she stopped going charlie sheen on us, she said focus on research.

Combined the two made no sense.

And since then, silence. skipping a major sports conference? to avoid questions??

something doesn't add up.

SH is no dummy and nobody can convince me her silence is from ineptitude. Ths is a lady whose background is in political science, public opinion and communication theory. She shoud be running circles around these issues.

It clearly appears to me that someone/somebody is pulling the puppet strings here preventing what the masses here are begging to hear from being said.(BOT??, Confidentiality Agrrement??).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

SH is no dummy and nobody can convince me her silence is from ineptitude. Ths is a lady whose background is in political science, public opinion and communication theory. She shoud be running circles around these issues.

What the masses want to hear from Herbst is that UConn will be in a big boy conference yesterday. Since we will not be moving anywhere at least until the Maryland exit fee is sorted out, and even then nothing's guaranteed, she's not going to say "we will be in the ACC or Big Ten". She'll probably repeat something about working with other football schools to make the league as good as it can be while we improve our academics, so the masses will be unhappy. Git yer pitchforks 'n' torches ready.

The translation of Herbst's statement will be: "We can't get into the Big Ten this year, so we have to take the next 3-5 years to improve our research and academics with the goal of getting into the AAU while at the same time getting our football and men's basketball back to national respectability. We have to work with Cinci and whoever else is in it to make the league viable so that we can collect some athletic revenue from the TV contract for a few years so we can pay our coaches. Having the league be successful will also help our athletic programs which hopefully will be winning a league titles, getting positive press for UConn and then we can actually start expanding the Rent by the time Jim Delany is quitely drawing up his short list. Of course if the Maryland situation is resolved and a couple other ACC teams jump ship you bet your ass I got Swofford on speed dial."

Again - in case it's not clear, I don't think there's some kind of double-secret provisional BigTen invite. I think we're probably a few years away from possibly getting that and SH has to be smart about planning for the next ~5 years in case realignment slows down in the next couple of years. It might, it might not. Nothing is guaranteed.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I think Herbst is enjoying this. This is her chance to leave a big mark and establish a legacy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
She is very confident that the school very likely will end up somewhere relevant. That's what it seems to add up to, to me.

She's got a very short window to make it happen. We don't have 3-5 years. This new all sports league will need a TV deal soon. The networks will be tossing out MWC money, especially if there is no GOR. We cannot accept a grant of rights to this new league. We cannot pledge loyalty to it. That is disaster. That's why this situation sucks.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Ironically for Temple and USF their problem may be the largeness of their stadiums. Look no further than MLS for some perspective on the viability of down-scaling.
I think that's definitely a problem for Temple. It's depressing there... even when they get a fairly good sized crowd for Temple... it's still empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom