Herbst on Big East | The Boneyard

Herbst on Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
President Herbst really needs to shut #%K UP as it relates to realignment. She and whatever inner circle she keeps as counsel are unbelievably clueless. Add the new PR person scheduled to start soon to the list of those to be fired if she has any role in these comments.

Connecticut's current conference situation is pathetic and her continual promoting of it is delusional, patronizing and depressing.

To Fishy or anyone else here that has access to her, please tell her to quiet down. "No comment" or nothing is far preferable.

Presumably intended to inspire, these comments will do far more to turn off the fanbase.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Why not something like:

"We are undoubtedly disappointed in the latest conference realignment shuffle. As stated throughout these developments, we will continue to concentrate on the best interests of the University of CONNECTICUT and its athletics department and focus on the issues we can control."

?

I'm sure Houston would have allowed Susan to borrow it...

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Makes me feel as if I`m in the French Foreign Legion! Vive le chien!

item5.rendition.slideshowWideHorizontal.ss06-beau-geste-1977-french-foreign-legion-movies.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just don't put out a statement.

No one needed to read that pile of horse s***.

That was the dumbest duck*ing thing I've heard since realignment started and I listened to the Tulane press conference. We don't even know who the duck* is in this conference and half the teams we think are in it are either suicidal over it or actively trying to get the duck* out.

Honestly, forget PR.

UConn should dry run their press releases here. If it gets ten 'likes', put it out. If it gets flamed, forget it ever existed.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Just don't put out a statement.

No one needed to read that pile of horse s***.

That was the dumbest duck*ing thing I've heard since realignment started and I listened to the Tulane press conference. We don't even know who the duck* is in this conference and half the teams we think are in it are either suicidal over it or actively trying to get the duck* out.

Honestly, forget PR.

UConn should dry run their press releases here. If it gets ten 'likes', put it out. If it gets flamed, forget it ever existed.

Thank you. Seriously, what was she thinking? She really must think the majority of the fanbase is stupid. Maybe we are.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is about the TV contract negotiations and nothing else.

People who negotiate television contracts are not morons. They also know when they're being lied to.

Absolutely no point to that ridiculous release. The only thing I can figure is that it was our turn to pretend that the latest kick in the nuts didn't hurt.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
This is about the TV contract negotiations and nothing else.

Jungle, for your own sanity, I hope you're not holding out hope for any respectable $$ from this tv contract.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Why not something like:

"We are undoubtedly disappointed in the latest conference realignment shuffle. As stated throughout these developments, we will continue to concentrate on the best interests of the University of CONNECTICUT and its athletics department and focus on the issues we can control."

?

I'm sure Houston would have allowed Susan to borrow it...
That's the response you write when the MWC or ACC has a spot for you. They don't have a spot for us. TV thinks we're going to bolt, and we will when a spot opens but we don't know when and until then we can't. So we have to pretend we're not going to bolt in order to maximize $$$ so we can pay our coaches and plane tickets as long as we're stuck in this shiitty conference.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Jungle, for your own sanity, I hope you're not holding out hope for any respectable from this tv contract.
No, it will suck. The question is should Herbst say what you want to hear, or stay silent, and make it suck worse.

Reaction Score
Would you all be happy if she said, " were not committed to th NNBE? We want out, it doesn't matter if its the big ten, ACC or big 12, we just don't want to be here..."

I don't think Cinci, Memphis, etc would take too kindly to that.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
Would you all be happy if she said, " were not committed to th NNBE? We want out, it doesn't matter if its the big ten, ACC or big 12, we just don't want to be here..."

That doesn't sound particularly prudent.

I would have preferred she said what Houston said. Or what SDST said. Or nothing.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score

I'd be very happy with this:

images

Reaction Score
Very disappointed with SH's statement. Who does she think she is kidding? Better not to say anything or a simple - "We're committed to making whatever conference we are in as strong and exciting as possible."

Reaction Score
I have no idea why this statement would bother anybody. The Big East is our current home and we need to make the best of it.

Now IMO making the best of it would mean bringing in a flashy new coach instead of the spirit of de corpse we have now, but that is another story.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Herbst and Manuel public statement's are really the only times I feel embarrassed to a UConn alum.

I truly don't think Herbst and Manuel have any clue whatsoever that they are doing and it couldn't have come at a worse time for UConn athletics.

pj

Reaction Score
You guys are over-reacting. Aresco wanted to get some publicity on how the conference members are committed to help him negotiate a contract. He asked Susan for a statement and she gave it to him. He fed it to the press.

They have to play the game out, even if they're now playing for smaller stakes than they originally hoped. You still have to try to maximize your takehome pay.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Herbst and Manuel public statement's are really the only times I feel embarrassed to a UConn alum.

I truly don't think Herbst and Manuel have any clue whatsoever that they are doing and it couldn't have come at a worse time for UConn athletics.
Hey, Manuel turned around Buffalo's APR. He's a rock star.

I would have preferred "Any conference lucky enough to have UConn is automatically a big-time conference. This group of presidents is excited to be in the same conference as the University of Connecticut. They should be."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You guys are over-reacting. Aresco wanted to get some publicity on how the conference members are committed to help him negotiate a contract. He asked Susan for a statement and she gave it to him....

I'm sure ESPN was completely taken in by Susan's comments.

Mike - "Susan, I've been negotiating with this company called "E-S-P-N"....I think it's pronounced ESS-Pen. Anywho, I think it would really help if you would show that that UConn is gung-ho about all this stuff. Somehow, they've gotten the idea, and you're going to laugh about this, that you might not be completely on board with our mid-major-in-every-pot concept. Do you think you could put out a statement or something? Something with some razzmatazz? Maybe use a French word or two?"

Susan - "Why, I like the sound of this ESS-Pen you speak of. They got potential! And I think I have just the French word to dazzle those chaps."

Mike - "Amuse-bouche?"

Susan - "No thanks, I just ate. I write something up and send it along."

Mike - "YES!" (fist pump)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members