Herbst on Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst on Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At some point the idea the she is trying to deemphasize athletics needs to be considered. She might be quite happy allowing athletics to die on the vine. Can turn the school into UC-Davis.

Reaction Score
At some point the idea the she is trying to deemphasize athletics needs to be considered. She might be quite happy allowing athletics to die on the vine. Can turn the school into UC-Davis.
I really think it is too early to think this but I cannot say the thought hasn't entered my mind as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I really think it is too early to think this but I cannot say the thought hasn't entered my mind as well.

I'm not saying I believe it. You could certainly build a case.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder. This is the man who posted that statement. :rolleyes:

Dom Amore:
they could, but a conference would have to be looking for two schools. Don't rule out Big Ten for UConn. Not hearing anything hot right now, but it's a hunch

Reaction Score
This is very reminiscent of "the rub of the green" quote that we all loved so much.

Reaction Score
It's about Football ... right?

This isn't that hard to understand. Football is the garish Bowl jacket guys & lots of tradition. UConn has none. NONE. Yes, I went to games when I was a student. We were in a stadium constructed by the CCC or something. High Schools in Texas have far better facilities. (and we actually brought Georgia Tech into that stadium about 10 years ago.).

We are where we are because we are lacking the "longtime tradition" that the ACC wanted NOR the attractive market that the B1G wanted. From that perspective, it is hard to fathom (for me) that either Syracuse or Boston College has a better future than our University. We can grow this Fanbase in Football. My pessimism is Warde Manual's ability to push us forward. But ... I am OK with Susan Herbst and I don't know what you really want to hear. That Houston statement? We have felt that about twice a week for the last 3 months. I just don't see how that advances us to where we want to be.

The only thing we can do is Win. Win games. And, I don't think we start that - with any excitement - while we have PP as our coach. We lost playing Rutgers? Syracuse? Is that the Mayan end of the world?

The fact is Cartels break. That's always the case. In the college football world, some "Boise" type Program will rise ... maybe a bunch. And, there will continue to be lots of money for content of Live Sports. UConn will get more chances. I am fundamentally concerned, however, about the way Pasqualoni has killed our momentum going forward. We need an excited Fanbase to do anything.

Reaction Score
It's about Football ... right?

This isn't that hard to understand. Football is the garish Bowl jacket guys & lots of tradition. UConn has none. NONE. Yes, I went to games when I was a student. We were in a stadium constructed by the CCC or something. High Schools in Texas have far better facilities. (and we actually brought Georgia Tech into that stadium about 10 years ago.).

We are where we are because we are lacking the "longtime tradition" that the ACC wanted NOR the attractive market that the B1G wanted. From that perspective, it is hard to fathom (for me) that either Syracuse or Boston College has a better future than our University. We can grow this Fanbase in Football. My pessimism is Warde Manual's ability to push us forward. But ... I am OK with Susan Herbst and I don't know what you really want to hear. That Houston statement? We have felt that about twice a week for the last 3 months. I just don't see how that advances us to where we want to be.

The only thing we can do is Win. Win games. And, I don't think we start that - with any excitement - while we have PP as our coach. We lost playing Rutgers? Syracuse? Is that the Mayan end of the world?

The fact is Cartels break. That's always the case. In the college football world, some "Boise" type Program will rise ... maybe a bunch. And, there will continue to be lots of money for content of Live Sports. UConn will get more chances. I am fundamentally concerned, however, about the way Pasqualoni has killed our momentum going forward. We need an excited Fanbase to do anything.
Thank God you are not involved with marketing UConn athletics.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Thank God you are not involved with marketing UConn athletics.

The ONLY justification for President Herbst's remarks are that Jim Delaney (B1G Commissioner) insisted on the following provision within Susan's confidentiality agreement relating to the B1G's due diligence of Connecticut as an acquisition target:

Section 18. Media Statements.

18.1. Applicant shall not issue or cause to be issued any public statement, whether written or oral, relating to the B1G's interest in Applicant as a prospective conference member.

18.2 Applicant shall issue or cause to be issued multiple public statements, whether written or oral, pledging allegiance to Applicant's current conference, including, without limitation, the following:

“I am very impressed by the enthusiasm of the current members of the Big East Conference. We have presidents and institutions that are committed to both outstanding athletics and academic performance. There is a great esprit de corps among my fellow leaders of these schools, who provide such strong and seasoned leadership at their own universities. We see intriguing opportunities to be unique, in our conference focus and our brand, as we move forward. I have no doubt that — despite the musical chairs of re-alignment — we have the leadership and institutional excellence to compete at the highest levels, with each other, and in inter-conference play.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom