Herbst and Manuel on Live Radio - 9 am 12/19 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Herbst and Manuel on Live Radio - 9 am 12/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The MWC is no worse than our proposed league. Our league no longer has an chance at a lucrative TV deal, none. Our league includes difficult travel situations for the schools, and has no chance of generating any real mindshare because it has no identity. It is doomed to fail.

But it as clear as ever that that's where we are headed, whether the western schools join or not. The perception of UConn will drop even further, even in basketball. WM and SH seemed accutely aware of the problem, and helpless to do anything about it.
There is no TV money in the MWC. If Aresco can deliver a substantial increase in TV dollars, with this new conference, and chances are he will easily beat their deal because its so pathetic, they'll be able to cherry pick to MWC teams if they so desire. It is the way that conference realignment is going. Teams leave even power 5 conferences for conferences that pay better.

Reaction Score
If Connecticut politicians are anything like NY politicians, these guys are the most to blame for this mess. And yes, Mass. pols have the same trouble. They just don't care about public higher education the way Midwesterners do. I don't know what they care about down south--most of the time I think they only care about football.

The state legislature needs to put more money behind UConn. It would help immensely if they gave UConn the kind of support per student that Indiana or Iowa give to state universities. In NY, when you think of the state leadership, they are grads of private schools and have been for generations. All the top leadership. In this state, you'll see $50m given to a private small Catholic school to start a law school, while the state university law school gets cut. You'll see taxpayer money going to private schools for new science buildings while budgets at the publics are slashed. This sort of thing simply doesn't happen in the midwest, maybe because much of the state leadership graduated from the state school, and there's no stigma attached to such an education.

If UConn wants to play with the big boys, it needs more support from the state. It really is as simple as that. Right now UConn is fighting with one arm tied behind its back.

Reaction Score
Dead duck*ing on! There is a cost for those who actually are fans but come on here and are always entirely negative about every little thing. Those people need to start being shunned. There is a difference between criticism (and even rational discussions about what needs to be better) and the "whoa is me we suck" crap that we have to listen to from our own fans.

I will be pillaried for that. Because goodness forbid that anyone accepts that there can be consequences to what they say in social media.
Only issue, I have with this post is that a few years back (way before P) so maybe 4 or so years back, I remember some of us screaming that UConn should market better, I specifically lamented the fact that UConn wasn't plastering billboards on I-95, when you entered CT from NY stating silly things like welcome to UConn country, BCS football, blah, blah, blah.

Basically that group was shouted down.

UConn marketing/pumping itself up better, would have gone a long way toward a better self perception by their fans. Granted that was all under a different President and AD combo, but the university dropped the ball during the good times. Where we are now, back to back losing seasons if football, poor national image of the men's basketball program due to APR/post season ban issues, is not the time to be screaming "fans need to be more positive and supportive", that should have come long before, but I guess its what they have to say.

Reaction Score
Speaking of perception, is there any hope in getting rid of DJ Dogpound??

Reaction Score
Dead duck*ing on! There is a cost for those who actually are fans but come on here and are always entirely negative about every little thing. Those people need to start being shunned. There is a difference between criticism (and even rational discussions about what needs to be better) and the "whoa is me we suck" crap that we have to listen to from our own fans.

I will be pillaried for that. Because goodness forbid that anyone accepts that there can be consequences to what they say in social media.

If fans pack the stadium, fill the arenas, and travel to road games.....nobody cares what it is said here or on social media. Go to games.

Reaction Score
Didn't expect him to be an expert. Just expected that line of thinking. Like I said, typical weenie NPR lib.

I'd love to watch a debate between you two just so I could watch you get intellectually throttled by a "weenie NPR lib."

Reaction Score
Only issue, I have with this post is that a few years back (way before P) so maybe 4 or so years back, I remember some of us screaming that UConn should market better, I specifically lamented the fact that UConn wasn't plastering billboards on I-95, when you entered CT from NY stating silly things like welcome to UConn country, BCS football, blah, blah, blah.

Basically that group was shouted down.

UConn marketing/pumping itself up better, would have gone a long way toward a better self perception by their fans. Granted that was all under a different President and AD combo, but the university dropped the ball during the good times. Where we are now, back to back losing seasons if football, poor national image of the men's basketball program due to APR/post season ban issues, is not the time to be screaming "fans need to be more positive and supportive", that should have come long before, but I guess its what they have to say.

I might get killed for this, but all my advertising friends call billboards old media and "blue serge suit" advertising. They basically say no one sees it, but it gives the clients a good feeling.

Reaction Score
Am I to understand that ESPN's and NBC Sports' presence in Connecticut - and if they are in any position to help UConn - was not raised during the course of this interview?

Going on NPR might be a good way to reach a narrow more upscale audience, but they should be doing an hour on WTIC too. And in the AM with Ray as the moderator. will reach a lot more people.

And finally SH/WM could do themselves a big favor and by not using the words "Big East" or "Mike Aresco" going forward. I look at Cincinnati and I see action - hiring a big-name coach, improving stadium.

Probably wasn't the venue but would have loved to hear Manuel defend keeping Pasqualoni another year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Seriously after all the years of ESPN pimping the Mountain West over the "Big Least" you think our perception can drop off even further? Basketball is only an issue if we really do drop off. You can be viable in just about any conference.

I just think with the nature of the new national title playoffs... as a school outside of the power conferences you need as strong a SOS as possible... and if you're league contains the bottom 2/3rds of the WMC then you're in trouble.

I think the landscape is changing. I think the days of being relevant outside of the big conferences are coming to an end. These media deals mean that the media outlets need to pump their product at the expense of a potentially superior product. For UConn I think that means that it will be increasingly difficult to land those coveted CBS basketball games and Big Monday games on ESPN. No matter how good we are, they will broadcast the big conferences over the outcasts. It will be harder and harder to do what schools like Butler and Gonzaga have done. You might make a run now and then in the tournament, but you won't be on TV as often, so over time recruiting will suffer. This is our fate if we can't escape.

Reaction Score
Am I to understand that ESPN's and NBC Sports' presence in Connecticut - and if they are in any position to help UConn - was not raised during the course of this interview?

Going on NPR might be a good way to reach a narrow more upscale audience, but they should be doing an hour on WTIC too. And in the AM with Ray as the moderator. will reach a lot more people.

And finally SH/WM could do themselves a big favor and by not using the words "Big East" or "Mike Aresco" going forward. I look at Cincinnati and I see action - hiring a big-name coach, improving stadium.

Probably wasn't the venue but would have loved to hear Manuel defend keeping Pasqualoni another year

They really should not even do the NPR circuit. The tone of the interview and the callers forced Manuel to state he's not going to apologize for the level of football we play. I'm pretty sure the first caller who advocated dropping sports was Krayeske. Not the audience you want to hear your point of view. They were both on the defensive the whole time.

Reaction Score
I might get killed for this, but all my advertising friends call billboards old media and "blue serge suit" advertising. They basically say no one sees it, but it gives the clients a good feeling.
I remember you saying this before. I no marketing expert, maybe billboards suck, I was thinking along the lines of the the digital ones. The point is, a few years back UConn was in position to market the shot out of themselves based on the success they were having. They sat on their hands then and I really think it was a mistake.

Reaction Score
Ouch that hurts.

Yeah he might ask you nuanced questions that you could answer without nuance and confuse the crap out of him.

If someone ever gave these people a straight answer, I think the interviewed might have an aneurism.

F

fortebleedsblue

GIVE ME SOMETHING TO CHEER ABOUT. I'm starting to buy into Kevin Ollie ... He is Uconn basketball... Watching him dance around on the side line is fun. The bball team being left out makes me want to cheer for the. That much harder to go to games to pound my chest that we are UCONN in a big to BC. The problem is Warde is doing too much monitoring And not enough action.. He's playing it safe. Your post is true and I get excited and pumped up about the renewal of Uconn (through this mess) until I realize that Deleone will be controlling our offense next year. I want to be excited about Uconn football but all I have seen is a god damn train wreck with more to come... Honestly who the hell can be excited about GDL's offense next year...that's where the chest pumping turns into head scratching.. That's where the negativity comes from.

Reaction Score
This is one of those 'be careful what you wish for' moments.

Some of you have built up an elaborate fantasy where strings are being pulled by different conferences and schools and that UConn has received winks and nods and you want some interviewer to pull that out of Herbst.

And when she or Warde answer the questions with as much tact as they can, you get miffed and make snide comments about 'monitoring'.

If either one were to come out and bluntly state the truth, it would explode whatever fantasy you're subscribing to as a coping mechanism and it would ruin your Christmas.

My advice - don't listen. Read the 'Big1G' thread instead - it's more of what you're looking for.
Are you playing the Grinch in any holiday plays this year? You do a good job here on the BY.

Reaction Score
I remember you saying this before. I no marketing expert, maybe billboards suck, I was thinking along the lines of the the digital ones. The point is, a few years back UConn was in position to market the shot out of themselves based on the success they were having. They sat on their hands then and I really think it was a mistake.

The best way to promote UConn commercially is through our corporate sponsors such as Dunkin Donuts etc.

I think we should sell naming rights to the "new" conference. "The Great American Conference Presented by Samsung".

Every Samsung TV add would show footage of Conference Football and Basketball action.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I have been scratching my head trying to figure out why this would be on NPR vs WTIC (the flagship station for the school) or any local TV/radio channel. Here is what I have come up with (conspiracy warning):

You only go on NPR because it's audience is likely to be your most vocal critic if there is upcoming investment in athletics (I love NPR btw). So you go there to make sure they understand the risks and challenges plaguing UConn regarding realignment because unlike your base they probably just don't know. If you see this in light of the last minute 'holder' on managing the football field and the presumed mascot change (what's up with that anyway, anyone know?) the USS Connecticut can draw a reasonable conclusion that:

- the school/state are planning to invest funds into the expansion of Rentschler and/or an upgrade of the HCC (since that is part of the bid) and as a result want to bring its control in-house;
- this will coincide with a re-branding of the university vis-a-vis the mascot;
- and hopefully, ultimately, this culminates with an invite (because I don't think you need to sell the idea if you have the invite...B1G money speaks for itself).

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Are you playing the Grinch in any holiday plays this year? You do a good job here on the BY.
Grinchy Fishy wasn't too far off, and his position has been consistent- we have no secret offer on the table at this time. That seems clear based on this thread. I'm sure it was true before too, but, my snide remarks aside, I appreciated hearing it straight from the horses mouth (as straight as that is via people's updates here, that is). We are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Until the landscape shifts again, we have to make the best of what we can. I think there is more that can be done from SH and WM to publicly advocate our strengths... But we need to do that ourselves too. Again I know that none of this is new, nothing has changed, but I appreciate that they hear and understand our frustrations and will engage a dialogue around it. Been a little too quiet till today.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I have been scratching my head trying to figure out why this would be on NPR vs WTIC (the flagship station for the school) or any local TV/radio channel. Here is what I have come up with (conspiracy warning):

You only go on NPR because it's audience is likely to be your most vocal critic if there is upcoming investment in athletics (I love NPR btw). So you go there to make sure they understand the risks and challenges plaguing UConn regarding realignment because unlike your base they probably just don't know. If you see this in light of the last minute 'holder' on managing the football field and the presumed mascot change (what's up with that anyway, anyone know?) the USS Connecticut can draw a reasonable conclusion that:

- the school/state are planning to invest funds into the expansion of Rentschler and/or an upgrade of the HCC (since that is part of the bid) and as a result want to bring its control in-house;
- this will coincide with a re-branding of the university vis-a-vis the mascot;
- and hopefully, ultimately, this culminates with an invite (because I don't think you need to sell the idea if you have the invite...B1G money speaks for itself).

No way we expand the rent, that was clear in WM's comments. In fact there was a pretty clear call to arms that we need to support our teams now more than ever presumably because our tickets sales are falling off.

U

UConn9604

They really should not even do the NPR circuit. The tone of the interview and the callers forced Manuel to state he's not going to apologize for the level of football we play. I'm pretty sure the first caller who advocated dropping sports was Krayeske. Not the audience you want to hear your point of view. They were both on the defensive the whole time.

That first goon had to have been Ken Krayeske. First, he implied that all we have to do in order to make UConn into the no. 4-ranked school in the country (per U.S. News) is to simply drop athletics. That's what the University of Chicago did, ergo, let's do that.

Next, he implied that Chicago -- after canceling athletics -- was somehow was responsible for providing us the President of the United States (because the President worked there as a lecturer). Therefore, if we want UConn to produce a President, we should just cancel athletics. (I'm waiting for him to suggest that UConn should start farming peanuts, in the hope that we can spawn the next Jimmy Carter.)

Third, he said that collegiate athletics violated the 13th Amendment. For accuracy, here's the text of that Amendment:

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Is Shabazz Napier a slave? An involuntary (defined as "done without conscious control") servant? How about Chandler Whitmer?

Ken, if you are a consistent intellectual, then you must also hate the G.I. Bill, too, right?

Want some advice, Ken? Just shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22