Herbst and Big east Commish needs to step up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst and Big east Commish needs to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I mean quite frankly, at this point, who gives a crap about football? All we read and hear about is football and money, and yet most college football programs are hurting. As basketball fans, how far into the cesspool do we want football to drag us?
You should since the day Lew Oerkins moved us on the path to D1A football became top dog. It is time for the temaining football schools to finally tell that idiot loser Marinatto and his band if leach catholic basketball schools along with ND to take a hike! Merge with what is left of the Big 12 and make a go at it. If we are involved with that so be it...if not then thst means we are most likely in the ACC. It is just time for us to cut ties to these small market catholic schools!

Reaction Score
I mean quite frankly, at this point, who gives a crap about football? All we read and hear about is football and money, and yet most college football programs are hurting. As basketball fans, how far into the cesspool do we want football to drag us?
1990- UNLV
1986- Louisville
1980- Louisville
1977- Marquette

Those are the 4 national champions of the past 41 years that weren't in one of the "power conferences" when they won it all. 2 of those 3 teams ended up in a power conference, for good reason. Had they stayed where they were, they'd likely find it as tough to compete now as UNLV does.

In response to the cesspool comment, I'd also like to point out that the football program is not on probation, has no recent NCAA investigations, and no APR problems.

We need football to land us in a conference that will have us continuing to compete for national championships.

Reaction Score
I would rather have the better Big 12 schools with a D1 football program join the Big East rather than making a commitment to the ACC. I think that merger would be attractive enough to get a TV contract and keep the BCS Status. The Big East already got offered a contract from ESPN that they turned down. The Big 12 also has some good bball teams especially if we get Kansas, Kansas St, or even Baylor. If Texas and Oklahoma leaves its over for the Big 12. The Big East should give Schools that don't have a D1 football program a smaller cut. I think long term the ACC will be mediocore in Football like they are now. Especially when Miami, Florida St and others get scooped up by the SEC. The teams in the Big East that don't have an established football program are not going to be accepted in the so called Big Conferences so we should be safe most of the conference sticks together for a long time.

Big East/former Big 12 members.
Tournament in MSG
Local Rivalries
Mediocre Football Conference
Respected Member of the Big East and a Leader in the Conference

Vs
ACC
Tournament in North Carolina
Mediocre Football Conference
Playing Second Fiddle to NC and Duke (We could win 10 ACC championship we would still be the Yankees in the North Carolina country.)

Let me know what y'all think this is turning out to be a good debate.

Cuse, UConn, and Pitt sent the most fans to MSG for the tourney. With them gone, the BET will be a shell of it's former self when it comes to atmosphere and buzz in the garden for the tourney. Ville brings fans, UConn brings fans, but none of the other programs travelled like Pitt or have a lot of alumni in NYC like Cuse.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm tired of posts like this (no offense to the OP), but the Big East is no more. It's gone. It's not a good place to be. There is no way to keep it a basketball superpower - those teams have left or are in the process of leaving. The football while weak before is now non existant. I'm surprised I haven't been seeing other boards and the media refereing to it as the Big Least. That's what it is. Get into a major coference now (The BE is no longer a major conference). Be proactive and aggressive or die. While the Big10+ would be the most lucrative, that seems beyond a long shot. The ACC seems not only obvious but probable. Get there now. Get into a major conference and hunker down for the rest of the fallout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom