Her name is Dorka Juhász | The Boneyard

Her name is Dorka Juhász

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

For over a year I have been asking folks to use Kamilla Cardoso's name, rather than Cardozo, CardosA, Cordosa, and other manglings. At first I tried it in public posts, and was obviously ignored. More recently I tried private messages. Most people sent polite replies, but only anout half corrected their misspellings.

I wouldn't even dream of trying to get anyone but Plebe to pronounce the last name correctly: Car doze u. The emphasis is on the middle syllable, and the final letter o sounds like u, as in loon or moon. That's just ordinary, normal Portuguese pronunciation.

Maybe it matters less—to some people—now that Ms. Cardoso has joined Dawn's crew. But we can still be civil and polite to UConn's own Dorka.
Please.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"It's Wingardium Lev-e-OH-sa, not Lev-e-oh-SA... She's a nightmare, honestly. No wonder she doesn't have any friends.". Ron Weasley...

Reminds me of a great line from Harry Potter. Spelling and pronunciation is often a problem for our players' names... The biggest one is Gino. That kills me.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
"It's Wingardium Lev-e-OH-sa, not Lev-e-oh-SA... She's a nightmare, honestly. No wonder she doesn't have any friends.". Ron Weasley...

Reminds me of a great line from Harry Potter. Spelling and pronunciation is often a problem for our players' names... The biggest one is Gino. That kills me.
Thanks for your input Eroc. ?

Reaction Score

For over a year I have been asking folks to use Kamilla Cardoso's name, rather than Cardozo, CardosA, Cordosa, and other manglings. At first I tried it in public posts, and was obviously ignored. More recently I tried private messages. Most people sent polite replies, but only anout half corrected their misspellings.

I wouldn't even dream of trying to get anyone but Plebe to pronounce the last name correctly: Car doze u. The emphasis is on the middle syllable, and the final letter o sounds like u, as in loon or moon. That's just ordinary, normal Portuguese pronunciation.

Maybe it matters less—to some people—now that Ms. Cardoso has joined Dawn's crew. But we can still be civil and polite to UConn's own Dorka.
Please.

Good luck. You might as well try herding cats.;)

Reaction Score
Read that her last name is pronounced, "you-has" but that was espn so who knows?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

Due to Geno's universal exposure in women's basketball whenever I see someone spell his name Gino...I immediately assume that they are doing it on purpose in a pejorative way.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Read that her last name is pronounced, "you-has" but that was espn so who knows?nd
DOOR-kuh YOU-haas. Per the Ohio State media guide.

Schools try to get announcers to pronounce correctly, the Arizona list last season (the one that ended early) had a number of really tough - and somewhat obscure - names. Aari spent a lot of time towards the end of this season reminding folks its "AIR-ee"

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Due to Geno's universal exposure in women's basketball whenever I see someone spell his name Gino...I immediately assume that they are doing it on purpose in a pejorative way.
I really try not to assume anything with misspellings. What with auto-correct for folks on some media and general incompetence otherwise - years ago as a non-UConn fan it took a bit of time to get Geno and longer for his last name. In fact, I generally look it up to be sure - Auriemma, I actually have it after all these years. Not good with names, I do a lot of looking up, or, when I can, use initials.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I really try not to assume anything with misspellings. What with auto-correct for folks on some media and general incompetence otherwise - years ago as a non-UConn fan it took a bit of time to get Geno and longer for his last name. In fact, I generally look it up to be sure - Auriemma, I actually have it after all these years. Not good with names, I do a lot of looking up, or, when I can, use initials.
I write 80% of my posts on my cellphone, this one included. I can tell you first hand about the annoyance of auto correct. Auto correct is seldom on the same page as we are.

If we’re not careful, It can make us look bad. I try very hard to make sure I spell people’s name correctly. Many times I’ve had to google someone to ensure the correct spelling. It’s not that difficult to spell people’s names correctly. ?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Did you see the variations of Cardoso? :)

Cardoso's used two different spellings of her last name. Even numerous recruiting outlets and media have used Cardosa the last few years.

Just checking now and I found tweets with the "a" spelling by Syracuse WBB's own reporter, ASGR's Brett McCormick, scout Tim Lownsdale, scout Richard Rhoad, and many others. I think some are just being fooled because Cardosa is more the natural sounding name on the brain, but she really has used multiple spellings.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
1620025120993.png

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I’m glad nobody talks about Teaira McCowan anymore on this board so I don’t have to read “McGowan” every other post.
Agree, but I’ll bet that Tiara has been dealing with that her whole life.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Whatever Erik...:D (See what I did there)...

At least now I know why I can't get anything to levitate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom