Help: MSG, NYC things to do etc etc | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Help: MSG, NYC things to do etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Carnegie Deli! Worth the wait. Sandwiches are HUGE. You'll never finish one alone, so bring a doggie bag. Corned beef & pastrami are excellent. The pictures of celebrities who been there could keep you busy for hours. I'm sure I saw a Ray Allen picture on the wall when I was there, though it was a few years ago.

Reaction Score
Alright here's the deal. Sunday my wife and I along with another couple are joining our sons for an excursion to NYC/Madison Square Garden. Our kids are attending the League of Legends event at 4PM so we are going to be looking for things to do besides pub crawls because we will need to drive back eventually too. I've been down a few times but mostly for the Big East tourneys and that's been partying and more partying with little historical value involved. Thinking Central Park, 9/11 etc etc but what else is there within walking distance for some older people?

We will have about 4-5 hours I believe - also best parking for the day in that vicinity if anyone knows? I did see ICON has some places?

Thanks in advance to all.
You can park for free on Sunday almost anywhere. You didn't say what time you were arriving, but you can park in the 30's near the Garden for the entire day with no fee. Walk to the nearest subway and the city is at your fingertips. I recommend below 34th street for parking and be willing to walk a couple blocks. Will easily save you 40-50 dollars. As a general rule, summer Sundays in NYC offer plenty of parking spaces as most residents are out of town on weekends and return Sunday night. Also the last 2 weeks of August are usually the quietest weekends in NY along with the week prior to Labor Day. Enjoy all that NYC has to offer. PS: If you only have a few hours, and you want to entertain and educate your kids without them knowing it, the Museum of Natural History/ Hayden Planetarium would be a lifelong memory for them. It is on Central Park West in the seventies, easily accessible by subway from the Garden area and would be a blast for the kids and a great area to explore and get some kid friendly food at a not touristy price if you walk west toward Broadway. You can then take the number 1 train back to the Garden for the event. Have a great time.

Reaction Score
You can park for free on Sunday almost anywhere. You didn't say what time you were arriving, but you can park in the 30's near the Garden for the entire day with no fee. Walk to the nearest subway and the city is at your fingertips. I recommend below 34th street for parking and be willing to walk a couple blocks. Will easily save you 40-50 dollars. As a general rule, summer Sundays in NYC offer plenty of parking spaces as most residents are out of town on weekends and return Sunday night. Also the last 2 weeks of August are usually the quietest weekends in NY along with the week prior to Labor Day. Enjoy all that NYC has to offer. PS: If you only have a few hours, and you want to entertain and educate your kids without them knowing it, the Museum of Natural History/ Hayden Planetarium would be a lifelong memory for them. It is on Central Park West in the seventies, easily accessible by subway from the Garden area and would be a blast for the kids and a great area to explore and get some kid friendly food at a not touristy price if you walk west toward Broadway. You can then take the number 1 train back to the Garden for the event. Have a great time.
When I say parking I mean street parking, not a garage.

Reaction Score
Carnegie Deli! Worth the wait. Sandwiches are HUGE. You'll never finish one alone, so bring a doggie bag. Corned beef & pastrami are excellent. The pictures of celebrities who been there could keep you busy for hours. I'm sure I saw a Ray Allen picture on the wall when I was there, though it was a few years ago.
Carnegie Deli is temporarily closed. Long story. I'm bumming since I'll be in NYC next week and was going to go.

http://carnegiedeli.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/nyregion/carnegie-delis-closing-is-extended.html?_r=0

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Halal Guys on 53rd and 6th if you want to grab a bite to eat late night/early morning.
Or any Halal cart on every freaking Manhattan street corner.

You could also check if there is anything filming at NBC studios.

Reaction Score
Alright here's the deal. Sunday my wife and I along with another couple are joining our sons for an excursion to NYC/Madison Square Garden. Our kids are attending the League of Legends event at 4PM so we are going to be looking for things to do besides pub crawls because we will need to drive back eventually too. I've been down a few times but mostly for the Big East tourneys and that's been partying and more partying with little historical value involved. Thinking Central Park, 9/11 etc etc but what else is there within walking distance for some older people?

We will have about 4-5 hours I believe - also best parking for the day in that vicinity if anyone knows? I did see ICON has some places?

Thanks in advance to all.
Mau sometimes you can just go without a formal agenda. Street fairs, wax museum, vendor gawking, pizza slices or hot dogs in the park, people watching, street musicians, any thing you want to do just do it, its right around every corner. If you are a 'day' planner then you will get mucho suggestions here. I'm just the adventurous type. Anyway summertime is the best time in NYC!

Since you have been there before why not just wing it. Hours go by like minutes with no stress and just having fun with friends walking and talking. 34th street is an adventure in itself, along with Herald Sq. If you see something you want to do then do it.

My wife and I drive down there just to hang out, and its never boring and always good times. Even with couples we just kill time. Just be street smart as always down there and enjoy.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
topless-performers-times-square.jpg

Times Square or bust(s)

Reaction Score
Ellen's stardust diner is nice with singing waitresses. If your walkers, which is the only way to really experience the city I would walk the greenway along the Hudson. We did it the last BET.

Reaction Score
Highline park, 30th and 10th ave.

Are you really driving to an event housed on top of a train station?
I'm going to be in NYC with my teenage sons next week. Would the High Line be interesting for them? How far is it from 30th St. to the end at Gansevoort St.?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
HooperScooper said:
I'm going to be in NYC with my teenage sons next week. Would the High Line be interesting for them? How far is it from 30th St. to the end at Gansevoort St.?

I think it's about 20 blocks long (10th or 11th) Google maps will show it and there is a Website. It runs pretty much from the Javitt center to the Village. With access a stairs every so often.

It's a park and can be crowded in the afternoon. As for teenage boys, they can stand outside the Standard Hotel and ogle at the windows, Google it. It's runs near Chelsea Pier, Chelsea Market areas. Plenty of stuff right around it. There are also food vendors in ,or up on, the park.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you're going to stay in Manhattan then the High Line in Chelsea is great if you're up for some walking.

That's our plan the next time we get to town. The High Line and the new Whitney museum.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
huskie34 said:
Katz's deli in the East Village is better than Carnegie anyways...

Ha beat me to it

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
way better
I'm sure that's true. But Carnegie doesn't suck. When we went to the Army game last year, Carnegie was between our subway exit and the hotel. We picked up a reuben to go, it was great and we got lot of mileage out of it. A late lunch for two, them a nice mix-in for the scrambled eggs the next day.

Reaction Score
Is Stage Deli closed also?

Thinking about going to Katz's but much harder to get to if you're staying in mid-town and only in NYC for 2 days.

Reaction Score
Another food question. My kids want to try NY pizza to see how it compares to Pepe's. Suggestions in Manhattan? Don't have enough time to go to Brooklyn.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
HooperScooper said:
Another food question. My kids want to try NY pizza to see how it compares to Pepe's. Suggestions in Manhattan? Don't have enough time to go to Brooklyn.

Johns on Bleecker is a classic NY pie.

Reaction Score
Ellen's stardust diner is nice with singing waitresses. If your walkers, which is the only way to really experience the city I would walk the greenway along the Hudson. We did it the last BET.

Well we ended up here for a 3pm "lunch" because our friends daughter and her friend wanted to check it out. Cool place with some history, food was ehh at best but our waitress (Lacey) was by far the most entertaining of all the singers during our hour and a half, not close. She did "I'm a Creep" with her own creative version and if she were on an American Idol or alike she would have killed it. Really good. Could've found better eats I am sure but fun and different.

Hit Times Square first (yeah Boba saw the 2 "painted ladies" there, different I believe but they were around) , kind of more in the "Kita" thought just rolled with whatever we felt like doing. Had so much fun walking around we put in about 10 miles shopping, people watching and just NYC curiosity for the first 4-5 hours. Rockefeller Center then actually Bryant Park also a neat little area to hang for a while then we decided we needed to get on the "E" and head to the WTC and check out the 9/11 Memorial and surrounding area. While the fountains are a wonderful tribute to those who lost their lives and it touched me being in that area, the "Survivor Tree" really made me think and smile at the same time. As crazy as it is to think a pear tree can represent resilience well this did it for me. The people who made this tree their need to keep it alive because it survived and was kept alive for so many reasons, just a wonderful story. One that captures how proud NYers are and how resilient they had to be after such a nightmare.

Anyway thanks to everyone for their ideas and thoughts, great city had a fun day just banging around and enjoying the day. Plenty more to see as I can tell from all the posts and I plan on making more of them become reality.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is Stage Deli closed also?

Thinking about going to Katz's but much harder to get to if you're staying in mid-town and only in NYC for 2 days.
Stage is closed. When the Carnegie reopens try the "Woody Allen", it's 1/2 corned beef 1/2 pastrami costs $26 with well over a pound of meat. If you can open your mouth at least 8" you can even take a bite! Their website has photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom