Help: MSG, NYC things to do etc etc | The Boneyard

Help: MSG, NYC things to do etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Alright here's the deal. Sunday my wife and I along with another couple are joining our sons for an excursion to NYC/Madison Square Garden. Our kids are attending the League of Legends event at 4PM so we are going to be looking for things to do besides pub crawls because we will need to drive back eventually too. I've been down a few times but mostly for the Big East tourneys and that's been partying and more partying with little historical value involved. Thinking Central Park, 9/11 etc etc but what else is there within walking distance for some older people?

We will have about 4-5 hours I believe - also best parking for the day in that vicinity if anyone knows? I did see ICON has some places?

Thanks in advance to all.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
USS Intrepid, 9/11 Memorial, Chysler or ESB observation deck.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
From MSG, you can take the number 1 subway on the Seventh Avenue line to the South Ferry stop and then hop on the Staten Island Ferry. The ferry is free. Stand in the front of the boat on the trip to Staten Island and in the front again for the trip back to Manhattan. The trip is about half an hour in each direction and offers great views of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline. It's a wonderful round trip on a beautiful day.

The High Line, mentioned by others, also is free. You can buy lunch in a deli or restaurant and eat it while you relax in a chair on the High Line. However, alcohol is not allowed.

If the people in your group like museums, you can walk the length of the High Line to its south end and go to the brand-new Whitney Museum a few hundred feet away. Or you could walk to the south end and explore the Meatpacking District, which is now very upscale with many bars and restaurants.

You can't go wrong with Central Park, the World Trade Center, the Intrepid Museum and other sites mentioned by others. There are so many attractions in New York it's hard to single out any one or two.

Reaction Score
Not that they're not worthwhile, but takes a fair amount of time to get to 9/11, Highline and Staten Island Ferry. I'd suggest 4 hours easy walking something like following. Get a map to put it in the right order. Times Sq, Grand Central, Rock Center, Plaza Hotel (be sure to see Eloise in the Plaza), the iconic cube Apple Store across from Plaza Hotel, Central Park is right there, If time and budget permit, take a short cab ride to Metropolital Museum of Art - it's about $20 each for admission. Met is wonderful but doubt you have time for the it. On the walk back stop at St Pats church and the Waldorff Astoria.

Reaction Score
Halal Guys on 53rd and 6th if you want to grab a bite to eat late night/early morning.

RRV17A

NYC
Reaction Score
Hey, I've been living in Manhattan since 08 (graduated from UConn in 06). I agree with the High Line recommendations. You can take it to the new Gansevoort Market (http://www.gansmarket.com/) for lunch, which is right by the ending of the High Line.

I'm all about the food in this city, so heading to a good restaurant for brunch is always a great thing to do on a Sunday. I also like the boat idea, Hornblower does a lot of nice stuff during the summer (http://hornblowernewyork.com/).

Good luck and have fun!

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
If you're going to stay in Manhattan then the High Line in Chelsea is great if you're up for some walking.

That said, I recommend getting out of Manhattan (and all the riffraff associated with it) and checking out Brooklyn around the bridges. It's not nearly as far as you think. In fact it's quicker to get to than some of the spots people above are recommending in other parts of Manhattan.

Grab the 2 or 3 from 34th St - Penn Station and get off at Clark St (20 minute ride, if that even). From there you can check out Brooklyn Bridge Park or Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Best views in all the 5 boroughs, hand down. Plenty of places to eat and drink. You won't regret it.

RRV17A

NYC
Reaction Score
If you're going to stay in Manhattan then the High Line in Chelsea is great if you're up for some walking.

That said, I recommend getting out of Manhattan (and all the riffraff associated with it) and checking out Brooklyn around the bridges. It's not nearly as far as you think. In fact it's quicker to get to than some of the spots people above are recommending in other parts of Manhattan.

Grab the 2 or 3 from 34th St - Penn Station and get off at Clark St (20 minute ride, if that even). From there you can check out Brooklyn Bridge Park or Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Best views in all the 5 boroughs, hand down. Plenty of places to eat and drink. You won't regret it.
All the water front parks and bridge areas in Brooklyn are completely packed with tourists on the weekend these days. I'd say there is more riffraff in those areas then most places in Manhattan. I do agree about the views though, they're awesome.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
All the water front parks and bridge areas in Brooklyn are completely packed with tourists on the weekend these days. I'd say there is more riffraff in those areas then most places in Manhattan. I do agree about the views though, they're awesome.

Also Juliana's Pizza was recently voted as top pizza in the U.S. . Its located basically next door to Grimaldi's, and a just steps away from the waterfront.

Reaction Score
I would definitely check out the Museum of Natural History, 79th and Central Park West, the Metropolitan Museum of Art (on 5th Ave, near 83rd?) or the Guggenheim (a little further north on 5th Avenue)

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I don't know. I was at both Brooklyn Bridge Park and Brooklyn Heights Promenade a couple of weekends ago and neither spot was annoyingly crowded. On the other hand I was in a couple of different spots in Manhattan yesterday (weekday) and I couldn't escape the hordes of tourists and general riffraff. But I will say Brooklyn is getting more and more packed with tourists every year that passes, though it's still not at Manhattan levels (yet).

RRV17A

NYC
Reaction Score
I don't know. I was at both Brooklyn Bridge Park and Brooklyn Heights Promenade a couple of weekends ago and neither spot was annoyingly crowded. On the other hand I was in a couple of different spots in Manhattan yesterday (weekday) and I couldn't escape the hordes of tourists and general riffraff. But I will say Brooklyn is getting more and more packed with tourists every year that passes, though it's still not at Manhattan levels (yet).
Haha you're right. Really no matter where you go, Manhattan or Brooklyn, if it is a touristy area you will be in a huge crowd. I'd say get off the beaten path!

Reaction Score
Alright here's the deal. Sunday my wife and I along with another couple are joining our sons for an excursion to NYC/Madison Square Garden. Our kids are attending the League of Legends event at 4PM so we are going to be looking for things to do besides pub crawls because we will need to drive back eventually too. I've been down a few times but mostly for the Big East tourneys and that's been partying and more partying with little historical value involved. Thinking Central Park, 9/11 etc etc but what else is there within walking distance for some older people?

We will have about 4-5 hours I believe - also best parking for the day in that vicinity if anyone knows? I did see ICON has some places?

Thanks in advance to all.
empire state building. wax museum on 42nd st.

Reaction Score
Thanks to everyone for their recommendations and insight much obliged. Well, except for imno1 as it's a little 2 late to come up with the ingredients for his weekend ideas.:eek:

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
No one mentions going to Times Square to see the sights? Even the Germans know to go there!
(I reside here and still have not gone to see them, I intend to fix that before DiBlasio chases them away.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom