Help Me Understand This Seeding: Florida State and MD in CT's Bracket? | The Boneyard

Help Me Understand This Seeding: Florida State and MD in CT's Bracket?

Reaction Score
How is it that the top #1 seed in the nation gets put together with the two teams that played the toughest games against it the entire season? How does Connecticut get put in a bracket with Maryland and Florida State?

Seems to me that the weakest #2 and #3 and #4 seeds would be Mississippi State, Oregon State, Louisville, and the like. Seems to me that UConn is getting shafted (assuming Creme is correct) by being put in with such tough opponents.

What am I missing here?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is it really worthwhile pulling the "UCONN got shafted" card based on a bracket that was put together before conference tournaments even started?
To win the NC UCONN is going to beat 3 top 10 teams in the Regional Final , Semi-final and Championship game. Wait, scratch that, wrote this same thing last year and none of it happened!
If you really think UCONN got shafted, what do you think the others teams are thinking?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's time to get over concerns about who ends up in UConn's Bracket. The Huskies can't have a cakewalk to the FF, and frankly I wouldn't want one considering the teams that might be waiting for them in Dallas. IMO, UConn beats MD or FSU by double digits if they matchup in Bridgeport.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Let's remember this is Charlie Creme not the actually NCAA selection committee. It is for discussion (which it is clearly being successful at) and I view it like Mel Kipers NFL draft mock selection- interesting but severely speculative. I am content to watch the conference tournaments play out and see how the RPI and rankings look then.

That said, if the committee does pull a bonehead, I am hopeful we have a media/ twitter way of haranguing them for their stupidity.

Reaction Score
How is it that the top #1 seed in the nation gets put together with the two teams that played the toughest games against it the entire season? How does Connecticut get put in a bracket with Maryland and Florida State?

Seems to me that the weakest #2 and #3 and #4 seeds would be Mississippi State, Oregon State, Louisville, and the like. Seems to me that UConn is getting shafted (assuming Creme is correct) by being put in with such tough opponents.

What am I missing here?
UConn would indeed have the weakest 2 and 4 seeds in their bracket, but the strongest 3 seed. 1-8-9-16. Maryland's SOS rating and their loss to OSU has cost them dearly in the seeding game.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Florida State has improved also, but I re watched the game the other day and UConn is playing so much better than they were in that first game. I don't think FSU will be a problem if we get them again. Maryland played two top tier opponents this season and lost both games. At any rate if the goal is the National Championship then you gotta be ready to beat everybody.

Reaction Score

What am I missing here?

How these teams played against UConn is not so relevant. It's how they played over the ENTIRE season. This is the same Maryland team that got solidly beat by Ohio St last week. And Florida St has lost at home to Texas, to bubble Virginia, and whipped by ND in recent weeks.
Don't get me wrong I think they are very good, dangerous teams, but the committee needs to look at the whole resume. The committee had Maryland at #7 before the Ohio St loss. They will be a low 2 at best, more likely a high 3 seed.

Reaction Score

What am I missing here?

The best way I can explain it is that Charlie Creme doesn't have a clue!

Reaction Score
I don't understand why Charlie Crème wastes his time doing this. Speculating on who makes the tournament is one thing. Last four in, first four out, sure. But placing teams in the brackets? It's been proven over and over again to be silly, because it never matches up with what really happens.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Florida State has improved also, but I re watched the game the other day and UConn is playing so much better than they were in that first game. I don't think FSU will be a problem if we get them again. Maryland played two top tier opponents this season and lost both games. At any rate if the goal is the National Championship then you gotta be ready to beat everybody.
FSU played without Romero, their pg.

Reaction Score
It's not who they're playing but who they haven't played. Why not pair UConn with teams they haven't played. It would be more interesting. They have played FSU and Maryland a few times over the last 3-4 years. It's time for the Huskies to play someone else.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Geography Geography.

# 2 Seeds Florida St, Miss St, Oregon St & Texas. Tallahasse Fl (Fla St) is closer to Storrs then Starkville Ms (Miss St) Depending on which team is seeded first between Fla St and Miss St UConn could end up with either team as Lexington is closer for both schools, unless there are Conference conflicts.
#3 Sees Maryland, Stanford, Duke, Washington. Obviously Maryland is closer then Duke is to Storrs Maryland 1st #3 seed, so they get Storrs.

If seeding was based on the S Curve and Geography wasn't taken into Consideration, then Maryland wouldn't be in UConn's bracket, unless they were the 4th #2 Seed.

Reaction Score
If seeding was based on the S Curve and Geography wasn't taken into Consideration, then Maryland wouldn't be in UConn's bracket, unless they were the 4th #2 Seed.

Not necessarily true. There are many factors that go into placing teams. Keeping conference opponents away from each other is one, and that could move teams off the true S-curve.

Reaction Score
Me thinks that Florida State and Maryland are the ones who are not happy if they end up in UConn's bracket. IMHO, Baylor is still very dangerous and ND is coming on strong. CocoHusky hit the nail on the head. UConn has to play 3 tough games anyway--Regional finals, NC semi, and the NC. Bring it on!

Reaction Score
FSU played without Romero, their pg.

True, although they did get good production out of their guards in that game. But maybe if Romero played UConn would have lost that game. I was just struck watching it by how much different UConn looked then than they do now. I think they were just starting to figure things out. Again, I imagine FSU has improved as well, but my guess is that UConn has improved a lot more and if they play it would be similar to the recent FSU Notre Dame game. 79-61 ND

Reaction Score
Amazingly enough the foremost concern on the committee's mind is not "let's make sure we pair UConn with teams they havent played, since their fans will find that more interesting."
We know this will never be the criterion.Consider in past years how many times UConn played Rutgers and/or Louisville during the course of one year. It was ridiculous, and never did they seem to consider the (to my mind, sensible) criterion of "let's make it interesting by giving them someone new to play."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
let's make it interesting by giving them someone new to play."
I wonder if everyone would be as interested in having someone new to play if that team ends up being Stanford? Tara and her team have almost always given the Huskies a battle. They are the only team in the country that has players that know how to beat UConn. The Cardinal are smart, experienced, talented, well-coached and they will play hard for 40 minutes + OT if that's what it takes.

I believe UConn beats Stanford in a close battle, but I'll take games against FSU & MD any day vs playing the Cardinal.

Reaction Score
I wonder if everyone would be as interested in having someone new to play if that team ends up being Stanford? Tara and her team have almost always given the Huskies a battle. They are the only team in the country that has players that know how to beat UConn. The Cardinal are smart, experienced, talented, well-coached and they will play hard for 40 minutes + OT if that's what it takes.

I believe UConn beats Stanford in a close battle, but I'll take games against FSU & MD any day vs playing the Cardinal.
I hope we get to see UCONN play one (or more) of the top 3 PAC-12 teams: Stanford, UW, OSU.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Call me old fashioned, but why bother with projected brackets? They have no meaning. Time enough to discuss the real brackets. And it looks this year that every team that might be a 2 or a 3 have different strengths and weaknesses and are close enough in ability that they aren't obvious pushovers. Plus three of the teams that could cause us problems will be #1 seeds. There is much more parity among the top 15 or so than their used to be. Even UConn isn't quite the shoo in it was the last couple of years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hope we get to see UCONN play one (or more) of the top 3 PAC-12 teams: Stanford, UW, OSU.
I have a strong feeling that one of the top Pac12 teams will be headed to Bridgeport, so you may we'll get your wish.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom