Help Me Understand This Seeding: Florida State and MD in CT's Bracket? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Help Me Understand This Seeding: Florida State and MD in CT's Bracket?

Reaction Score
I wonder if everyone would be as interested in having someone new to play if that team ends up being Stanford? Tara and her team have almost always given the Huskies a battle. They are the only team in the country that has players that know how to beat UConn. The Cardinal are smart, experienced, talented, well-coached and they will play hard for 40 minutes + OT if that's what it takes.

I believe UConn beats Stanford in a close battle, but I'll take games against FSU & MD any day vs playing the Cardinal.

This is just not that good a Stanford team. Well-coached, for sure, and they can play defense. But they can't put up enough points to be a threat to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma has said repeatedly that UConn has weaknesses that get hidden, not eliminated, by the team's strengths. At this point in the season, every coach that has to play UConn knows what those weaknesses are and is game-planning to exploit them. So any quality team UConn plays is ready with some strategies. In the case of the better teams and coaches, they still believe this is the year UConn is vulnerable, and they believe they are the ones who can do it. They have seen the FSU, Baylor, MD, ND, S. Car, Tulane games. Although UConn won all those, there were lessons to be used against the Huskies. So beyond maybe the first round of the NCAA, it wont matter which teams the Huskies play against. They all will be bringing their A games.

Reaction Score
Well, almost by definition, Oregon St, Stanford, Washington, or UCLA will be in Bridgeport.
Exactly, but a PAC-12 team has to advance within the bracket in order to play UCONN. Also, would like to see another PAC-12 team get to Final 4 and play UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma has said repeatedly that UConn has weaknesses that get hidden, not eliminated, by the team's strengths. At this point in the season, every coach that has to play UConn knows what those weaknesses are and is game-planning to exploit them. So any quality team UConn plays is ready with some strategies. In the case of the better teams and coaches, they still believe this is the year UConn is vulnerable, and they believe they are the ones who can do it. They have seen the FSU, Baylor, MD, ND, S. Car, Tulane games. Although UConn won all those, there were lessons to be used against the Huskies. So beyond maybe the first round of the NCAA, it wont matter which teams the Huskies play against. They all will be bringing their A games.
Absolutely correct, but your post gives me the opportunity to quote one of my favorite philosophers, Mike Tyson:

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face!" :oops:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't understand why Charlie Crème wastes his time doing this. Speculating on who makes the tournament is one thing. Last four in, first four out, sure. But placing teams in the brackets? It's been proven over and over again to be silly, because it never matches up with what really happens.

Maybe it's because that's what ESPN pays him to do? :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is just not that good a Stanford team. Well-coached, for sure, and they can play defense. But they can't put up enough points to be a threat to UCONN.
Yes, you're probably correct, but your description could have just as easily been about Stanford's 2014-15 team.

Reaction Score
Call me old fashioned, but why bother with projected brackets?

Why speculate on how many minutes of playing time players will get?
Wby bother discussing player-by-player matchups in an upcoming game?

90% of sports conversation is anticipation and speculation. No one is forcing you to read Mr Creme's work, or this thread.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Why speculate on how many minutes of playing time players will get?
Wby bother discussing player-by-player matchups in an upcoming game?

90% of sports conversation is anticipation and speculation. No one is forcing you to read Mr Creme's work, or this thread.

Cool off sport . Bracket speculation is totally worthless. Player player match-ups are basically known as are regular season opponents. Figure out how many permutations are possible right now, even with groupings by likely rankings, and then figure out exactly how much speculation you have to do and how many you left out. But fine, if it floats your boat. You took this way too personally.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn has already proven they can beat any team with 104 straight wins. How do you beat UConn?????? No team has figured that out yet so stop worrying. NO team wants to be in UConns bracket. That fear is in the back of their minds and their coaches minds and they will be coming to Conn to play UConn before a sell out crowd. Huge advantage. UConn could lose against any team and they havent yet. That little 6 inch court between teams ears is a huge advantage for UConn. The press with their questions will reinforce that negative attitude.

I expect UConn to win the NC this year and for the next 4-6 years. I would think at some point UConn could lose its just the law of averages but UConn right now is playing at a team level that no team has experienced and theyre getting better game by game. So having a team like MD or Fl who we've already beaten on the road doesnt scare me. I dont expect it to happen. It could happen, but I dont see it happening. We are that good and there is no team who plays team ball on both sides of the ball like UConn. To many factors are involved starting with disciple and team sharing. So sit back and enjoy the tourney. Who ever we play in Bridgeport will be at a disadvantage before they get here, then when they get here........

Reaction Score
Florida st on the verge of losing in the ACC quarterfinals. Could fall to a 3 seed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Florida st on the verge of losing in the ACC quarterfinals. Could fall to a 3 seed.

I got a feeling that they might put Duke in the Bridgeport region and remove FSU

Reaction Score
F-State really did lose. Amazing! Amazing season! Everyone is losing who shouldn't be losing. And UConn ISN'T LOSING, but it was supposed to!

Crazy season!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I got a feeling that they might put Duke in the Bridgeport region and remove FSU

The "reward" for Duke performing well in the ACC tournament might be an overall #8 or #9 seed and a date in Bridgeport.
The "punishment" for FSU's loss to Miami might be that it will be less likely to be sent to Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
ND beat us 3 times that year when Stewie was a frosh. Did you think they want to meet us the forth time? I didn't think so.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I don't understand why Charlie Crème wastes his time doing this. Speculating on who makes the tournament is one thing. Last four in, first four out, sure. But placing teams in the brackets? It's been proven over and over again to be silly, because it never matches up with what really happens.
Boneyard has taken Creme's wasted work and so far we have wasted 1,243 views and 38 replies. If Charlie is looking for viewership/readership, it must be working......................

Reaction Score
How these teams played against UConn is not so relevant. It's how they played over the ENTIRE season. This is the same Maryland team that got solidly beat by Ohio St last week. And Florida St has lost at home to Texas, to bubble Virginia, and whipped by ND in recent weeks.
Don't get me wrong I think they are very good, dangerous teams, but the committee needs to look at the whole resume. The committee had Maryland at #7 before the Ohio St loss. They will be a low 2 at best, more likely a high 3 seed.
MD can be tough because they always play very physical, but FSU no so much, they made notre dame look good!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
With Florida St's loss to Miami they'll probably end up as a #3 seed or possibly lower. If Maryland wins the Big 10 tournament, then I seed Maryland as the #2 Seed still in the Bridgeport Region.

Reaction Score
Right now I could see

UConn, Stanford, Duke, Kentucky
Nd, Texas, Maryland, ucla
Baylor, miss st, Washington, Louisville
So car, ore st, fla st, Ohio st

Reaction Score
How is it that the top #1 seed in the nation gets put together with the two teams that played the toughest games against it the entire season? How does Connecticut get put in a bracket with Maryland and Florida State?

Seems to me that the weakest #2 and #3 and #4 seeds would be Mississippi State, Oregon State, Louisville, and the like. Seems to me that UConn is getting shafted (assuming Creme is correct) by being put in with such tough opponents.

What am I missing here?

Since this is one person's prediction, we should just believe that the committee won't align these teams in the Connecticut bracket because Creme says so. Between now and next week, we will see, hear and red all types of predictions. Some we like and some that will be head scratchers.

But if somehow get both MD and FSU in the same bracket, I say "let's rock" and not worry about who's in the bracket. I'm quite sure Geno isn't worry about it and I kinda like plying teams like this.

Reaction Score
Right now I could see

UConn, Stanford, Duke, Kentucky
Nd, Texas, Maryland, ucla
Baylor, miss st, Washington, Louisville
So car, ore st, fla st, Ohio st

But with Washington losing to Oregon, I'm guessing that they might substitute for Duke in our bracket. Plum is individually excellent, and Osahor pulls down rebounds, but as a team they're highly vulnerable. They lost to an Oregon team led by a freshman guard. UCLA might be better qualified (i.e., weaker) than Kentucky to go in UConn's bracket as well.

Crazy conference tournament so far. Wonder if Creme is frantically revising everything on his spreadsheet?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But with Washington losing to Oregon, I'm guessing that they might substitute for Duke in our bracket. Plum is individually excellent, and Osahor pulls down rebounds, but as a team they're highly vulnerable. They lost to an Oregon team led by a freshman guard. UCLA might be better qualified (i.e., weaker) than Kentucky to go in UConn's bracket as well.

Why would Washington substitute for Duke? All else being equal, a balanced bracket calls for a high #3 seed to be sent to Bridgeport, and there's little doubt that Duke is ahead of Washington at this point.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
More upsets to come in conference tournaments. If anyone is filling out preliminary brackets I strongly advise you do it in pencil rather than ink.

Reaction Score
Why would Washington substitute for Duke? All else being equal, a balanced bracket calls for a high #3 seed to be sent to Bridgeport, and there's little doubt that Duke is ahead of Washington at this point.

As the #1 #1 seed, UConn should draw the weakest #3 seed. I see Washington as weaker than Duke, and UCLA weaker than Kentucky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom