Helm’s Championships | The Boneyard

Helm’s Championships

Reaction Score
yeah i'm wasnt surprised espn opened the broadcast echoing that, but i did have to look it up to know what the heck they were talking about. guess KU is insecure about the number of ncaa national chips they've won

temery

What?
Reaction Score
How lame is it that Kansas posted that they have 6 National on their scoreboard prior to the beginning of the game Friday night? This elicited many WTF’s and “Stop”s from the UConn contingent in our section.

'It's stupid either way, but my guess is UConn would have done the same.

Reaction Score
Kansas’ two Helm’s trophies in 1922 and 1923 were awarded retroactively by a committee formed by the Helm’s Foundation. They weren’t won by winning a national championship tournament, just some committees opinion of who they thought was best done many years later.

Reaction Score
I had some banter with some Purdue fans on a YouTube video and one of them was proud of their Helms….told him no one really counts those and he sounded like a Syracuse fan.

Reaction Score
We would do the same thing
Growing up as huge sports fan , Boxing /MLB fan at 5 - in 1940’s.
College football at 7 about 1950
UConn Basketball at 11 in 53-54
To be honest
I never heard of Helms until the Boneyard . I now know it was a foundation formed by LA bakery that awarded individuals / schools trophy’s for achievement local and nationally in sports sometimes retroactively as the foundation only started in 1932. but never claimed its selection was a true NC .
in my memory :?
Football had the coaches and various writers poll with a mythical champ frequently different teams . Multiple All American teams .
none a true NC.
Basketball had the NCAA and NIT well established in my memory .
Truly the only way you can really claim a Championship
However the prime movers of a true National Championship were two Kansas Guys
Adolph Rupp and Phog Allen both
understood you could only claim a championship by beating everyone in a tournament . So any one claiming a National title before then is disingenuous.

Reaction Score
They really need to create a dividing line when the NCAA expanded the tournament anyway.

The sweet sixteen was the first round in many years

Better teams were in the NIT

The NFL only recognizes Super Bowls beginning in 67. All those NFL championships before are basically forgotten

Reaction Score
They really need to create a dividing line when the NCAA expanded the tournament anyway.

The NFL only recognizes Super Bowls beginning in 67. All those NFL championships before are basically forgotten

The NFL recognizes all the championships since George Halas founded the league. They are counted as NFL championships. There was no Super Bowl pre-1967, it was created post AFL-NFL merger.

Interesting you think "the greatest game ever played" in NFL Championship history doesn't counts because it wasn't a Super Bowl. It was Colts/Giants 1958 overtime game.

AND THERE IS THIS -- How Many NFL Champions Since 1920 Can You Name?

Reaction Score
The NFL recognizes all the championships since George Halas founded the league. They are counted as NFL championships. There was no Super Bowl pre-1967, it was created post AFL-NFL merger.

Interesting you think "the greatest game ever played" in NFL Championship history doesn't counts because it wasn't a Super Bowl. It was Colts/Giants 1958 overtime game.

AND THERE IS THIS -- How Many NFL Champions Since 1920 Can You Name?

Thanks Captain Obvious. Of course they are still in the books.

The narrative however is always about Super Bowls.

Reaction Score

In the early years

The NFL only recognizes Super Bowls beginning in 67. All those NFL championships before are basically forgottena little more complicated than that . It actually went back and forth depending on the year and that the team that won .
It actually varied year to year depending on the team
I think the revelation of point shaving. Primarily in the NY area hurt the NIT prestige and Eastern Basketball in general by the mid 50’s the NCAA surpassed the NIT . MSG was the site for the Eadtern regionals and the NCAA finals in the late 1940’s early 50’s.
The last NIT champ considered the best team in the country was 1954 Holy Cross a team that UConn beat
on their own floor .
After that the NCAA champs
1955, 1956 Russell’s undefeated San Francisco team and
1857 UNC marked a clear departure in prestige .
As the NCAA expanded the NIT became more watered down .
Expansion to 64 was the crusher and what was a week of a multiple team tournament marked by craziness and even riots slowly eroded

Reaction Score
Thanks Captain Obvious. Of course they are still in the books.

The narrative however is always about Super Bowls.
If they are still in the book, then the NFL "recognizes" them. I assume you're a Patriot fan.

Reaction Score
If they are still in the book, then the NFL "recognizes" them. I assume you're a Patriot fan.
No, I'm a Giants fan

Their previous championships are never mentioned, only the Super Bowls.

The point of the whole post flew over your head, so you stick to the simple, yes the NFL recognizes them

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Do you think they would’ve done that if they weren’t playing UCONN? I don’t.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom