Heather out Wed with Wrist Injury | The Boneyard

Heather out Wed with Wrist Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Both John A and Jim Fuller reporting that Heather will be held out of Wed's game with a wrist injury. No information has been provided on the nature or severity of the injury.

I recall Heather falling at some point (2nd half?) and the announcer saying that she appeared to be slightly shaken up. Perhaps the injury occurred on that play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Both John A and Jim Fuller reporting that Heather will be held out of Wed's game with a wrist injury. No information has been provided on the nature or severity of the injury.

I recall Heather falling at some point (2nd half?) and the announcer saying that she appeared to be slightly shaken up. Perhaps the injury occurred on that play.
It was when she crashed to the floor in the first half. (think it was the play where she tripped over the Baylor player that had fallen) She got up slowly and shook/rubbed her wrist for a while, then held it up towards the bench and indicated she needed to come out. She left the game at the next whistle but did go back in a few minutes later.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Maybe that contributed to her fewer minutes in the second half?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
So the decision not to play Heather in the second half may not have even been a decision at all. Though this is an injury that I imagine would feel worse the next day.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I do remember that play - HB got undercut from the front side (unusual) in a big way, although IIRC, although it was "just one of those crazy things" and not a dirty play. But I mean, the poor girl hit the floor with a crash - it's lucky she didn't break her face, both wrists, elbows, and lose any teeth. And it was blind, a.k.a. not something her body was preparing for, not like when you go leave your feet on a shot and fall down on somebody, with a split second to brace yourself.

I will have to go back and watch on replay. But I do remember her shaking her wrist and basically looking around going "WTF just happened!??!?!?"

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I do remember that play - HB got undercut from the front side (unusual) in a big way, although IIRC, although it was "just one of those crazy things" and not a dirty play. But I mean, the poor girl hit the floor with a crash - it's lucky she didn't break her face, both wrists, elbows, and lose any teeth. And it was blind, a.k.a. not something her body was preparing for, not like when you go leave your feet on a shot and fall down on somebody, with a split second to brace yourself.

I will have to go back and watch on replay. But I do remember her shaking her wrist and basically looking around going "WTF just happened!??!?!?"
http://home.comcast.net/~maemery/buck_hurt.wmv

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Having enjoyed a wrist injury or two from past athletic endeavors, I'm here to tell you they're a big PITA. Not debilitating, just added pain you really don't need and have to learn to play through. And they're quirky and reoccur easier than you'd like:( Thumb sprains are the same way.

Reaction Score
Wow, the replay looks like dominoes falling out there; Sims tried to box out Hayes, Hayes tripped up Madden who fell and tripped up Buck. The last domino got the worst of it.

Reaction Score
I remember that. She and Griner both went up for a rebound, and someone got under Heather while she was a bit up in the air. I think we must have gotten the ball, because I remember her next going to set a pick and holding her wrist instead of just crossing her arms. The look on her face was something like "either I'm setting a pick or I'm going to be sick. Not sure which." Obviously in pain. None of it looked intentional; as Griz said, there were people flying everywhere.

I didn't think of it at the time, but I agree that may be why she played so little in the second half. Wrestling with Griner for post position with a lame wrist would risk doing more damage.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There should have been a foul called on the play either on Simms for starting the sequence or on Madden for undermining Heather. Fouls can be called on accidental contact like that and it was serious enough to warrant it.

Reaction Score
There should have been a foul called on the play either on Simms for starting the sequence or on Madden for undermining Heather. Fouls can be called on accidental contact like that and it was serious enough to warrant it.

I don't think that crew we had last night had the ability to decipher what happened there. Their limit seemed to be inconsequential touch fouls by Griner and Dolson.
Not to be picky, but I don't think Sims fouled and Hayes inadvertently tripped Madden. So, do you call Hayes for inadvertently tripping Madden or Madden for inadvertently tripping Buck?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't think that crew we had last night had the ability to decipher what happened there. Their limit seemed to be inconsequential touch fouls by Griner and Dolson.
Not to be picky, but I don't think Sims fouled and Hayes inadvertently tripped Madden. So, do you call Hayes for inadvertently tripping Madden or Madden for inadvertently tripping Buck?
She hip checked her which is what knocked Tiff into Madden. That is why you go to either end of the chain either Madden or Tiff. It is actually in the rules and rules interpretation.

Reaction Score
She hip checked her which is what knocked Tiff into Madden. That is why you go to either end of the chain either Madden or Tiff. It is actually in the rules and rules interpretation.
Methinks you're looking for perfection in a place where there is hardly mediocrity. The referees would have to hyper analyze the play on video review to figure out what call to make. If they did that, they might see Buck push Griner in the back with both hands and then again with her left as she goes up for the rebound.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Methinks you're looking for perfection in a place where there is hardly mediocrity. The referees would have to hyper analyze the play on video review to figure out what call to make. If they did that, they might see Buck push Griner in the back with both hands and then again with her left as she goes up for the rebound.
No, not looking for perfection just saying what the proper call is under the rules. It is a standard call in the rules. We had a similar discussion of a play last year and many were surprised to find out that the rules direct the foul to the player on the ground. I believe at the time a foul had been called on Faris who was lying on the ground. Knowing the rules is important even if the calls sometimes aren't made.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They probably let it go because Tiff's accidental foul cancelled out Madden's accidental foul.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They probably let it go because Tiff's accidental foul cancelled out Madden's accidental foul.
Which is why Simms hip check is likely the foul to be called, watch the video. It is a pretty strong check.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Y'know, ice, I mentioned to DC his predilection for bringing up old insults earlier so to be consistent, I'm going to call you out for worrying a point like an old bone. It's OK if you choose not to argue every single point until people are tired of the topic.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The interesting question from my perspective is whether Heather could go if UConn was playing a team that had a snowball's chance in hell of winning (which C of C obviously doesn't).

Reaction Score
Y'know, ice, I mentioned to DC his predilection for bringing up old insults earlier so to be consistent, I'm going to call you out for worrying a point like an old bone. It's OK if you choose not to argue every single point until people are tired of the topic.
Nan, I read this through a couple of times and don't see Ice "worrying a point"....certainly not to the point of paralleling a situation of "bringing up old insults". I found this thread interesting, not tedious.

Reaction Score

I never refed basketbal games but I did umpire High School BB and SB. It's very bad to do makeup calls. It almost always leads to trouble. IMO, the best thing to do is say "Sorry coach, if I missed it." and move on.

Reaction Score
So the decision not to play Heather in the second half may not have even been a decision at all. Though this is an injury that I imagine would feel worse the next day.

Should the injury be the cause of Heather not playing much in the 2nd half then my critique of Geno is in this instance miss stated, should this be the case. Sure hope Heather gets healthy very soon.

GO UCONN !!!!!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A wrist injury in the post when using an arm bar against any player let alone a strong player like Griner could be a very painful and limiting situation. I expect it did play a major role in her not playing in the second half given Geno's enthusiasm at the half for her play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom