"He had a headache...it comes up when he exerts energy." | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"He had a headache...it comes up when he exerts energy."

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
At the risk of upsetting Chief, if Larrier got hit in the face with an elbow vs. UCF (potential concussion), then flew to New Orleans (pressure changes), then played 40 minutes against Tulane (exertion, dehydration), then another flight, being unable to play is not terribly bizarre.

Reaction Score
I remeember when AJ had headaches and thay ended up being life threatening. Let's leave the medical judgements and opinions to people that are actually doctors? OK
AJ had a rupture subarachnoid aneurysm. That was potentially catastrophic. The fact that he came back and played basketball is a little miracle by itself. TL's headaches if it is related to an elbow or trauma have a good prognosis. Time is the best treatment

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
AJ had a rupture subarachnoid aneurysm. That was potentially catastrophic. The fact that he came back and played basketball is a little miracle by itself. Larrier's headaches if it is related to an elbow or trauma have a good prognosis. Time is the best treatment
I don't think the aneurysm had ruptured

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
To be clear, I don't mean to make light of any bona fide medical issue, and Larrier may well have one. I didn't see any mention of him having cluster headaches or any migraine history; I thought it was believed to be related to an elbow to the face in the Tulane game, which, to me, suggests that they are thinking possible concussion-type symptoms.

I'm no doctor and I understand that concussion protocols have changed recently and that cocooning is no longer required in the immediate post-injury phase. But the image of Larrier laughing and joking around courtside was the first thing they showed when they cut to the broadcast of our game, and the juxtaposition of that with the announcement that he was sitting out due to headaches created an indelible image in my head that Key & Peele couldn't have done better if they were trying to parody us. It felt like we were being punked. Reading that quote about the headaches being caused by the exertion of energy only reinforced that feeling.

Ripping off Elvis Costello, I posted elsewhere yesterday "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused." I didn't realize how accurate it was at the time. I have to laugh or else I will go crazy with disgust. I get that injuries happen and that progress is not linear, but the lack of energy from the top down on a night like last night is very tough to take--almost as tough to take as waiting almost an entire half to take a timeout to address the problem.

So...anyone had any good pizza lately?
Exactly. I wanted to post that myself. He was laughing and joking on the sideline. Saw that myself. However,I know zero about different headaches. However (again) he didn't look like he was suffering (that bad if) on the sidelines. So, are we to ASSUME that this team cannot function without him?

Reaction Score
Head injuries can happen to anyone but it just seems like Larrier is undermuscled, not sturdy enough. With his knee history he is a also fragile player. Don’t think his body type lends itself to getting bigger.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that he through out the headache excuse because Mrs. Roper wanted to have sex?
I’ve seen that stunt used many times by Stanley.
First thing I thought of too.

Reaction Score
I don't think the aneurysm had ruptured
I think base on symptoms and the news article at that time; he had a sentinel bleed. The NS, Interventionalist was able to coil it in time to save a catastrophe. Very few cases have happy endings like this

Reaction Score
When I watch this team play I tend to get a headache too, wonder if that's what is causing Larrier's problems. ;)

Reaction Score
Any news on whether or not he will play Saturday? It will be a blowout with him. Without him, this could become a new, "worst loss in 3X years." 40 is not out of the question.

Reaction Score
Any news on whether or not he will play Saturday? It will be a blowout with him. Without him, this could become a new, "worst loss in 3X years." 40 is not out of the question.

That's on the table with Larrier playing.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
No headache products here, just wall to wall Pizza Hut ads. At least it beats the underwear.

Reaction Score
I just read yesterday: If you suffer from cluster headaches, carry 1000mg of tylenol around with you. The moment you feel it coming on, take it. You won't get it. Even 5 minutes is too much time. People were talking about how it changed their lives.

Not true. My brother suffers from them and that did nothing for him

Reaction Score
I can see how it would be hard to diagnose then.

SMH

Parks, Martin, lead Memphis over UConn 73-49

It's a common theme since Ollie got here, everyone is either in daily concussions or get headaches that lead to concussions.

Then, it is confirmed hastily by the medical staff that the player needs to sit out a game. No serious team or program has guys missing games due to these type of injuries. With our margin for error being so low, you cannot afford to sit Larrier out for any game for headaches.

PS: We have gone from a program that was about winning to a program that is becoming the medical arm of the NCAA compliance committee.

Reaction Score
And Depth and experience.
Also I believe Khalid played
This team has two legimate players one decent player and freshman who are improving
One of the two legimate’s didn’t play.
On the road against a team playing pretty well in the second game of a long road trip. What surprises me is how people are so surprised and even offended by the loss. This was a predictable loss made worse by no Larrier .
This team with the loss of Gilbert has to play with maximum defensive intensity or they will be blown out. Doing that every game is a tall order for a young team until they grasp the team defense concept.
I think if Larrier is healthy they will surprise a lot of people against Nova.
At least that what real UConn fans are hoping for.
Wait a minute didn’t you make the same lack of toughness and pride post after the 2014 team was blown out at Louisville. That’s when a guys with your toughness and pride usually show up
Ya that team had no toughness and pride.
You forgot “Memphis might be a tournament* team so how can we be expected to compete.”
Look this was an embarrassing performance, not a loss to a top 10 team. The excuses you guys come up with ought to really embarrass you.
* tournament might be the NIT but hey most of you Ollieistas have allowed your standards to get so low that is an acceptable excuse.

Reaction Score
It was Hamilton and Voskuhl. And that team had Freeman, Khalid and Ricky Moore on the floor, in addition to Rashamel Jones and Edmund Saunders, all or most of whom are better at their position than anyone on this roster.
The point really isn’t who played it was how. They were missing their best player and the starting center and travelled across the country to play the #4 team. This team went to play the #84 team and quit before the opening tip. I get the Hamilton team would have beaten this one by any margin they wanted. But that is part of the problem isn’t it. Since he has been head coach Ollie has recruited badly and coached a soft team. He doesn’t have replacements for Larrier but they didn’t play hard either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom