"He had a headache...it comes up when he exerts energy." | The Boneyard

"He had a headache...it comes up when he exerts energy."

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I get cluster headaches which everyone is assuming is what Larrier is suffering from.

They are bad enough that I would do or avoid just about anything to keep from triggering one.

I had some prior but they started to really become a problem for me when I was around his age. But they have gotten far worse as I have gotten older. I am more familiar with them now. When I first stated getting them it was hard to not have anxieties about it being even worse than just dealing with severe pain and the zombie like state you are left in after the HA is gone.

I don’t ever remember exercise triggering an attack, though.

Reaction Score
As someone who has suffered from headaches my whole life I agree with trunk. They render you useless. Cause vomiting, and when they're gone you barely want to blink you're eyes let alone move.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Back in the 90's I was diagnosed with stress headaches. I could work all day but when it came time to sleep my brain went in overdrive. Doc gave me some meds and I started getting 9 hours sleep a night and the dreams were amazing.

Maybe Larrier needs the antidote.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I can see how it would be hard to diagnose then.

SMH

Parks, Martin, lead Memphis over UConn 73-49
"I don't know what it was, but we're gonna have to correct it."
-Kevin Ollie

Truly "40 minutes of wtf"

And yes, headaches are real.

Btw, interesting to read an AP article.

Finally, this was indeed an 'opportunity' to see what might happen for anyone who ever thought, "Just take him out," when TL's defense, focus, effort, or anything else might warrants me time on the bench.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Funny how I never seem to hear of Duke or unc or Kansas or Kentucky, etc. Etc. Players getting headaches.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Back in the 90's I was diagnosed with stress headaches. I could work all day but when it came time to sleep my brain went in overdrive. Doc gave me some meds and I started getting 9 hours sleep a night and the dreams were amazing.

Maybe Larrier needs the antidote.

You can’t compare stress headaches and cluster headaches. We don’t know if that’s what TL has, but if it’s the case he has my sympathies.

Clusters are often referred to as head attacks instead of aches.

Sufferers are reluctant to talk about them because there is no way someone who doesn’t get them could understand as evidenced by the “you just need a good night of sleep” or “I take two exedrine migraines and it always does the trick”.

Excedrine for a cluster is like trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You can’t compare stress headaches and cluster headaches. We don’t know if that’s what Larrier has, but if it’s the case he has my sympathies.

Clusters are often referred to as head attacks instead of aches.

Sufferers are reluctant to talk about them because there is no way someone who doesn’t get them could understand as evidenced by the “you just need a good night of sleep” or “I take two exedrine migraines and it always does the trick”.

Excedrine for a cluster is like trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun.

Calm down. It was a joke.

Everyone over the age of 3 knows he debilitating a headache can be and how much it can affect your ability to mundane tasks, nevermind perform as a D1 athlete.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Calm down. It was a joke.

Everyone over the age of 3 knows he debilitating a headache can be and how much it can affect your ability to mundane tasks, nevermind perform as a D1 athlete.

I'm not uncalm. No point in getting worked up on a message board. Just making a counterpoint but tone gets misinterpreted all the time.

Once again though, not everyone knows how debilitating clusters are. They should not be lumped in with other headaches.

There is no way someone could understand unless they get them.

C

Chief00

I have zero confidence in our “medical staff” with anything doing with the head area. We really need a Neurologist MD expert.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
To be clear, I don't mean to make light of any bona fide medical issue, and Larrier may well have one. I didn't see any mention of him having cluster headaches or any migraine history; I thought it was believed to be related to an elbow to the face in the Tulane game, which, to me, suggests that they are thinking possible concussion-type symptoms.

I'm no doctor and I understand that concussion protocols have changed recently and that cocooning is no longer required in the immediate post-injury phase. But the image of Larrier laughing and joking around courtside was the first thing they showed when they cut to the broadcast of our game, and the juxtaposition of that with the announcement that he was sitting out due to headaches created an indelible image in my head that Key & Peele couldn't have done better if they were trying to parody us. It felt like we were being punked. Reading that quote about the headaches being caused by the exertion of energy only reinforced that feeling.

Ripping off Elvis Costello, I posted elsewhere yesterday "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused." I didn't realize how accurate it was at the time. I have to laugh or else I will go crazy with disgust. I get that injuries happen and that progress is not linear, but the lack of energy from the top down on a night like last night is very tough to take--almost as tough to take as waiting almost an entire half to take a timeout to address the problem.

So...anyone had any good pizza lately?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Funny how I never seem to hear of Duke or unc or Kansas or Kentucky, etc. Etc. Players getting headaches.

Gabby Williams was taken out of a game because of one.

Some clearly don’t understand what Larrier is going through. Just being at the game probably caused him significant pain.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
To be clear, I don't mean to make light of any bona fide medical issue, and Larrier may well have one. I didn't see any mention of him having cluster headaches or any migraine history; I thought it was believed to be related to an elbow to the face in the Tulane game, which, to me, suggests that they are thinking possible concussion-type symptoms.

I'm no doctor and I understand that concussion protocols have changed recently and that cocooning is no longer required in the immediate post-injury phase. But the image of Larrier laughing and joking around courtside was the first thing they showed when they cut to the broadcast of our game, and the juxtaposition of that with the announcement that he was sitting out due to headaches created an indelible image in my head that Key & Peele couldn't have done better if they were trying to parody us. It felt like we were being pranked. Reading that quote about the headaches being caused by the exertion of energy only reinforced that feeling.

Ripping off Elvis Costello, I posted elsewhere yesterday "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused." I didn't realize how accurate it was at the time. I have to laugh or else I will go crazy with disgust. I get that injuries happen and that progress is not linear, but the lack of energy from the top down on a night like last night is very tough to take--almost as tough to take as waiting almost an entire half to take a timeout to address the problem.

So...anyone had any good pizza lately?

If it was concussion related, why not say that? People understand the medical ramifications. Reporting it as a headache is something most people think a player should just “suck up.”

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If it was concussion related, why not say that? People understand the medical ramifications. Reporting it as a headache is something most people fell a player should just “suck up.”
I don't know. If it was a cluster headache or he had some history, why not say that? I don't recall ever hearing this issue with him previously, do you? The only thing I recall was his comment that he and Jalen always start games feeling lethargic. Maybe that was part of the energy headache-prevention protocol?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I thought it was believed to be related to an elbow to the face in the Tulane game, which, to me, suggests that they are thinking possible concussion-type symptoms.
Correction, UCF game:
The Huskies got word before the game that Larrier, their second-leading scoring and rebounder, would not be playing. Larrier, who took an elbow to the cheek against UCF last Wednesday, played at Tulane Saturday, but had been having headaches the last couple of days.

UConn Men Blown Out At Memphis 73-49

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I don't know. If it was a cluster headache or he had some history, why not say that? I don't recall ever hearing this issue with him previously, do you? The only thing I recall was his comment that he and Jalen always start games feeling lethargic. Maybe that was part of the energy headache-prevention protocol?

IDK. And I am not saying that it is what he is dealing with. Just that I could understand if it is the case.

It took me a while to get a diagnosis and even longer to begin to understand the condition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom