HCPP, DEZ, 'Taking a knee' | The Boneyard

HCPP, DEZ, 'Taking a knee'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When did we all lose our minds?

I am no HCPP supporter, but there is lunacy on this board.

1. The INT- from section 229, that was a great playcall. The receiver was free in the end zone for what would have been a 'stick the fork in em' TD. TERRIBLE THROW leads to a pick. How many times has this board panned DeLeone/PP for being to conservative and not going for the kill? They did, it worked, and the players didn't make the play. So SHUT UP.

2. DEZ- this man is a beat reporter. He is not paid to wax poetic or analyze play calls or condn a staff. That is call editorializing, and is not under his job title. He watches the games, talks to the principals, and does a game recap. It must be the worst part of his day dealing with you lunatics(HFD the lead attack dog), and for what? The guy has zero pull or voice! He handles you animals poorly which inflames matters, but he is taking this abuse from you guys for no reason. Its absurd.

Which brings me to 'VICTORY FORMATION'. WHO CARES?!?!. yes they ran two running plays rather than taking a knee. Who cares? Teams do this all the time, and the percentage of times it backfires is negligible. For every eagles-giants(40 years old, by the way) there are 1 million UCONN-PITT where nothing happens. Frankly if our team can't complete a HB dive play without screwing up, we have larger issues.

In conclusion, you guys are losing you f*cling minds and it really is a poor showing for this fanbase.

Its football not nuclear politics, chill out and enjoy the games until the end of the year, after signing day 2013 we can start making changes if the situation warrants it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
When did we all lose our minds? pre internet

I am no HCPP supporter, ut oh here we go but there is lunacy on this board. is this like saying things are getting better?

1. The INT- from section 229, that was a great playcall. The receiver was free in the end zone for what would have been a 'stick the fork in em' TD. TERRIBLE THROW leads to a pick. How many times has this board panned DeLeone/PP for being to conservative and not going for the kill? They did, it worked, and the players didn't make the play. So SHUT UP.
i dont care about this argument. i see both sides and hate how it ended up. i like the agressive play call but at the same time considering all the aspects and looking back it was the smart thing to run and fg kick as he usually does. w/e i dont care about this. bigger fish to fry.

2. DEZ- this man is a beat reporter. true He is not paid to wax poetic or analyze play calls or condn a staff. he is paid to review each game and talk games with the fans. thats part of being a beat guy. That is call editorializing, and is not under his job title. can i see a job posting? He watches the games, talks to the principals, and does a game recap. It must be the worst part of his day dealing with you lunatics(HFD the lead attack dog you 2), i was far from the lead dog. i was hours late to the party that happened on twitter yesterday and only joined when i could. and for what? The guy has zero pull or voice! he has a voice, as beat writer he is vioice of the fans asking questions post game and reporting stuff, thats why his stance is so tough for all of us to takeHe handles you animals poorly yes, yes he does which inflames matters true, but he is taking this abuse from you guys for no reason false. Its absurd.

we have a cuse fan life time writing uconn sports who loves the HC becuase of what he did 15 years ago and not now(blinders). you dont see the issue here? its funny, the past couple years i always watched bc fans go after him and just kept quiet but always wondered why they kept hammering him. now i understand.....

Which brings me to 'VICTORY FORMATION'. WHO CARES?!?!. yes they ran two running plays rather than taking a knee. Who cares? Teams do this all the time, and the percentage of times it backfires is negligible. For every eagles-giants(40 years old, by the way) there are 1 million UCONN-PITT where nothing happens. Frankly if our team can't complete a HB dive play without screwing up, we have larger issues. wrong, this small issue adds to the pile of 50 small issues which all together = a huge issue. that issue is a incompetent coach.

In conclusion, you guys are losing you f*cling minds and it really is a poor showing for this fanbase. really? every read des stuff? just remember that every day the old lady on the big east blog does a lunch time links blog that has a link to des story for her uconn quota of the day. u wonder why ppl out in ohio and texas think uconn is a joke? becuase they read stuff like "no run the ball on 2nd down up the middle with 40 secs left instead of v formation".."i agree" and think wtf is going on out there. they dont know how to play blah blha...

its poop of you to support what the is going on in hartford and storrs right now. the beat writing is brutal, the stances ppl are taking are just un real at times and the president and ad have yet to act on several major things. a pitchfork is how i'll cook my hotdog next week in the lot.

Its football not nuclear politics, chill out and enjoy the games until the end of the year, after signing day 2013 we can start making changes if the situation warrants it.

now back to normal stuff, i still love u bmay but we see differently:p ...#rage

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Ef you. The INT was added risk with no added return. Stupid call.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You take a knee in that situation plain and simple. As a NY Giant fan I know this all to well.

Reaction Score

2. DEZ- this man is a beat reporter. He is not paid to wax poetic or analyze play calls or condn a staff. That is call editorializing, and is not under his job title. He watches the games, talks to the principals, and does a game recap. It must be the worst part of his day dealing with you lunatics(HFD the lead attack dog), and for what? The guy has zero pull or voice! He handles you animals poorly which inflames matters, but he is taking this abuse from you guys for no reason. Its absurd.

Which brings me to 'VICTORY FORMATION'. WHO CARES?!?!. yes they ran two running plays rather than taking a knee. Who cares? Teams do this all the time, and the percentage of times it backfires is negligible. For every eagles-giants(40 years old, by the way) there are 1 million UCONN-PITT where nothing happens. Frankly if our team can't complete a HB dive play without screwing up, we have larger issues.

In conclusion, you guys are losing you f*cling minds and it really is a poor showing for this fanbase.

Know nothings like you are why we up here in the Northeast are looked down upon by fanbases who actually know a little something about football. Keep it up.

Reaction Score
NO issue at all with the play call. We've wanted them to be more aggressive and less conservative. It was a great call, Griffin was wide open and Whitmer just missed him.
Not going into victory formation (again) was coaching malpractice. No other way to explain it. Sure it worked out ok but why take that chance when there's no way for Pitt to stop the clock. This was a repeat performance on this too so he's obviously not learned basic clock management. BTW, if it's acceptable to go into victory formation on third down, why not first or second? Conversely, why didn't we just run another running play up the middle on third down if it was ok to run on first and second?

Reaction Score

Says you. I says that don't get chance to see practice/schemes/strategy - only game decisions. Think it is really dumb to have a one back strategy with 160lb back who can't break tackles and falls down when he runs into the butt of one of his blockers; but hey, I don't really, really know it would be better with more burn for the other guys. But the one thing I really, really know is you keep an eye on the clock so you know when you can run clock out without punting and win game you do it; anyone who doesn't do that correctly 100% of the time has absolutely convinced me he is not capable of being a head coach of a football team (pop warner on up).
Dez is supposed to interact with fans, that's part of his job. Fans want to know something, his job to find out. Coach won't answer, ask him again.

Reaction Score
You don't need a touchdown in that situation. All you need to do is take time off the clock, kick the field goal, and you are up 3 scores. We would have been up 3 scores with about 3 minutes on the clock. Instead we were up 2 scores with 5 minutes on the clock. Even with the TD, they would have had more time to make the comeback. It's an unnecessary risk. Considering the number of INTs thrown by Whitmer, it went from being unnecessary to stupid.

We're all happy we won. But there were glaring errors that have become commonplace.

We haven't won much this year, but when we do, PP/GDL don't seem to be able to understand we can take a knee under 2 minutes when they have no timeouts. How are the players supposed to take your preaching of fundamentals seriously when you can't manage very, very simple end of game situations.

Reaction Score

You're a JackA$$. Take you feelings and go shove them up your rear.
If you cant see that these nuances in play calling are idiotic then its you that has the problem. Shut yur yap and go cry to your momma

Reaction Score

It was an awful call. A call made with no understanding of the game situation. A FG puts the game away. The only chance Pitt had was for UConn to throw the game away. They nearly did.

It is not editorializing to call the pass a poor selection. It is his job to ask about the decision.

Ever seen the "Miracle of the Meadowlands" on tape. It is the play that made head coaches go to the victory formation in the final minutes of games. Most coaches learned how to use the this formation to protect victories in the 1970s. The fact our coaches can not execute it in 21012 is a problem.

Actually, we are displaying our understanding of game situations.

Being involved with the game, being hard core and treating it like nuclear politics makes it fun for some of us. Please stop telling others how to think, you are repressing us. You are entitled to you feelings and opinions, and we are too.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
todays mailbag is a gem

there are about three hundred and fify seven things i could want to talk abouyt and look what he picks. i get it, its a nice story and little thing. thats fine. email that guy back and say your stuff and w/e. but that mailbag does jack poop for every other sole on the planet.

Reaction Score
Pretty good analysis actually. The INT in the end zone was due completely to a poor throw. If the throw was accurate its a TD and everyone here is celebrating it.
The only risk of running the ball at the end of the game is a fumble and it didn't happen - regardless if LM has a habit of running into his blockers. If you're not confident you can run a couple if vase running plays then yes, you have bigger issues. If UConn was near their own goal and you're also risking a safety that's a different story but that's not the case here.
As far as Dez goes I think he actually interacts too much. It seems like he wants to be buddy-buddy with the fans, which works fine when things are going well. When you get seasons like this it creates arguments and then he seems to get his feelings hurt. That's not his job.

Too many people on this board take things personally when there's a different opinion. Don't take it so personally.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What Boots said. Both the fans as well as DC are taking stuff too personally. This stuff is spiraling into absurdity.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
When a reporter is a fan of school the HC is from and said reporter sticks up for the HC when he obviously screws up is reason to be pis.sed at the repoter.

Remember Des is getting access to coaches, players and committment info like never before. Wonder why he won't ask tough questions?

Reaction Score
It's painfully obvious that fans like HFD have no idea what journalism/being a beat writer is about.

It's not Des's job to be "the voice of the fans". That's what the UConnblog does. Des is there to objectively cover what happens. He already asked Pasqualoni about what happened. What do you want him to do, back P into a corner and make him give a different answer?

Reaction Score
NO issue at all with the play call. We've wanted them to be more aggressive and less conservative. It was a great call, Griffin was wide open and Whitmer just missed him.
Not going into victory formation (again) was coaching malpractice. No other way to explain it. Sure it worked out ok but why take that chance when there's no way for Pitt to stop the clock. This was a repeat performance on this too so he's obviously not learned basic clock management. BTW, if it's acceptable to go into victory formation on third down, why not first or second? Conversely, why didn't we just run another running play up the middle on third down if it was ok to run on first and second?

every point here is correct.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Dez is supposed to interact with fans, that's part of his job.(Yes, he clearly signed up for that, it's prett much a requirement in this today's media environment) Fans want to know something, his job to find out. (At least make a reasonable effort) Coach won't answer, ask him again (Not necessarily).

I understand that Mr. Conner puts food on his table via his beat writer role, however he also chooses (by free will or supervisor mandate) to have a blog. It's a tough combination and is very well a fine line, but it's one that I think he needs to recognized.

It's certainly his job to ask questions in order to produce the best articles for his readership, but if the coach won't tell him anything, it is what it is. It's not his job to expend all of his "political capital" on a single issue.

On the other hand, we, as fans and his readers, should be treated appropriately aswell. It should be conveyed that our cncers are understood, a question was asked, and went unanswered. It should be understood that almost every situation has multiple alternatives by which they may be handled. It is not his job to figuratively pat us fans on the head as if to say, "Oh how cute, it doesn't matter. We won."

Reaction Score
We will nevertheless have a true sports media in this state, as long as the bet writers are scared to ask the people they cover tough questions.

Look at what Silver said on the matter, he said it was a "housekeeping" issue. Well we have had bad housekeeping for to years now. How good of him to notice.

Reaction Score
Pretty good analysis actually. The INT in the end zone was due completely to a poor throw. If the throw was accurate its a TD and everyone here is celebrating it.
The only risk of running the ball at the end of the game is a fumble and it didn't happen - regardless if LM has a habit of running into his blockers. If you're not confident you can run a couple if vase running plays then yes, you have bigger issues. If UConn was near their own goal and you're also risking a safety that's a different story but that's not the case here.
As far as Dez goes I think he actually interacts too much. It seems like he wants to be buddy-buddy with the fans, which works fine when things are going well. When you get seasons like this it creates arguments and then he seems to get his feelings hurt. That's not his job.

Too many people on this board take things personally when there's a different opinion. Don't take it so personally.

Don't take it personally, but don't need some monkey tell'n boneyard folks how to take things.

Reaction Score
We will nevertheless have a true sports media in this state, as long as the bet writers are scared to ask the people they cover tough questions.

Look at what Silver said on the matter, he said it was a "housekeeping" issue. Well we have had bad housekeeping for to years now. How good of him to notice.

LOL. Des asked P why he didn't go to the v formation at the end of the game. What more do you want him to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom